An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy Of The Hours

cmotherofpirl

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest misereremei

I wasn't sure how to answer, since I usually pray some, but not all, of the Office. I've been using the current English 4-volume LOH, but I'm learning to chant the Office in Latin and may switch to one of the older breviaries.

johnnydigit

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1486573' date='Mar 28 2008, 07:39 AM']If not, why not?[/quote]

too expensive. i've asked around for extras with no luck.. so far i just have the green one. when i visit a big order again i'll ask a superior for the rest. in the meantime i'm thinking of picking up the Shorter Christian Prayer as it's much cheaper and easier to use.

also in the meantime i'm reading the lives of the Saints and Confessions. other than that there's daily Mass, Rosary, and whatever young adult functions i go to. it makes for a pretty full day, although i would like to learn the full Office eventually..

kudos to you guys who do though. btw, has anyone actually ever seen a diocesan priest reading the Liturgy of the Hours? not here.. :(

because of this thread i just made my homepage universalis.com :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1491645' date='Apr 2 2008, 09:12 PM']kudos to you guys who do though. btw, has anyone actually ever seen a diocesan priest reading the Liturgy of the Hours? not here.. :([/quote]

The convent's Chaplain in England used to read the hours on his own, but he loved coming to Vespers with us - he said it was so much nicer than doing it on his own, and it made him more regular about time as well. He said that sometimes he was so tired at night that instead of Compline, he would just say an Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be and then some prayers to Jesus. He wasn't a Diocesan priest though - he was a religious (Apostles of Jesus).

I used to use the Shorter Christian prayer before entering Carmel because I couldn't make head nor tail out of the 3 volume Divine Office set that I bought in Singapore (because this was the version used in England). I didn't know what the Proper and the Common were or how to use them either. After learning how to recite the Office however, I fell in luv with it, now say it every day on my own. I miss singing Lauds and Vespers with the sisters since I can't really sing very well on my own. I do chant these two offices, and a little bit of Compline (especially the canticle) but on the whole I just read it. I sometimes say the Little Hours together if I can't recite them at the proper times.

I don't know what the complete set costs in the US but in Singapore I paid about $200 US for it.

Edited by nunsense

puellapaschalis

To those who find it hard to figure out the [i]how[/i] - get ahold of a seminarian or deacon and bother them until they agree to show you. They'll positively cuddle with my weeble and wub being able to teach you!

I was taught by a deacon at my (then) parish - he saw me sitting in the back of church flipping through it and practically ordered me into the Sacristy where everything was explained. Ok, I'm probably someone who picks up something like that with greater ease than the most, but seriously - get someone to help you. It's what being Church is all about. And in any event, even though so many of us (struggle to) pray it alone, it's [i]meant[/i] to be prayed in common...so we should have absolutely no hesitation about asking for help with it.

Guest Kayla

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1491645' date='Apr 2 2008, 09:12 PM']kudos to you guys who do though. btw, has anyone actually ever seen a diocesan priest reading the Liturgy of the Hours? not here.. :([/quote]

My parish priest back at home does. As do all of the priests here on campus. I thought they were required to pray at least part of the LOTH?

Guest misereremei

I am lucky that a lot of laypeople in my parish pray the Office so there are plenty of people I could ask if I got stuck. But between all the information available online, the information that comes with the breviary, and a copy of the current Ordo from my Archdiocese, I didn't find navigating the Hours difficult at all after a few days. I did meet with my priest to go over it, but by that point I already had the hang of it. So, I'd say don't be scared to jump right in!

Chiquitunga

[quote name='Kayla' post='1491850' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:30 AM']My parish priest back at home does. As do all of the priests here on campus. I thought they were required to pray at least part of the LOTH?[/quote]
Yes, diocesan priests are required to pray it: Matins, Lauds, Vespers, Compline, I believe, and one of the Little Hours during the day (Terce, Sext, or None) Then permanent deacons are required to pray Lauds and Vespers.

Does anyone know, are there any partial or plenary indulgences that can be gained by praying the Divine Office (with the other necessary conditions for the plenary indulgence)? I believe there was a plenary indulgence for the Year of the Eucharist, but I'm not sure what there are now. Thanks!

Thomist-in-Training

[quote]QUOTE(cmotherofpirl @ Mar 28 2008, 07:39 AM)
If not, why not?[/quote]

1. I don't have it.
2. I don't think I have time. I barely manage the Rosary. Sad; this is a particularly challenging semester for me, class-wise.
3. No one has told me I ought.
4. I feel that the new English translations are emasculated, but I don't know what book or version is used by EF communities--whatever it is, that's what I would use if I had it. (They use Latin of course.)

I do have Baronius' Little Office, though, and though it has an array of typos I can usually tell when something is a typo and say it right. That I say sometimes, but usually not more than one Hour in a day. I would LIKE to pray the breviary and get to know the Psalms, but for the reasons I mentioned I do not right now.

Chiquitunga

Hi, just thought I'd ask again. I still haven't found anything on this. I think I might inquire into one of the apologists at Catholic Answers, like Jimmy Akin or someone.

Actually my question here has two parts. First:
[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1492048' date='Apr 3 2008, 03:24 PM']Does anyone know, are there any partial or plenary indulgences that can be gained by praying the Divine Office (with the other necessary conditions for the plenary indulgence)?

I believe there was a plenary indulgence for the Year of the Eucharist, but I'm not sure what there are now. Thanks![/quote]
And secondly, if there is a plenary or partial indulgence attached to praying the Office, would praying the revised Office in Latin also gain this indulgence?

I ask this as I recently spoke with a wonderful community of nuns who used to pray the revised Office in Latin with Gregorian Chant, but said one of the reasons they switched over to English was because they said they learned something like - the indulgence for praying the Office requires that you understand what you have prayed.

Something about that didn't sound right to me though :idontknow:, and I thought I would like to research this & get a clear answer for this community, which is still very traditional and really loves the Liturgy in Latin actually. And I do think there are a lot of good things about praying the Office in English, but there is something so timeless and beautiful about the chanting the Psalms in Latin, etc. So anyway, any help here would be appreciated. God bless!

Edited by Margaret Clare

LouisvilleFan

I don't pray of Office on a regular basis. I've always been sporadic with it, like a lot of things in life (both religious and secular). I'm lazy and undisciplined and praying the Office and rosary or simply praying at all (i.e. for family and friends) often feel like so much work because it's such a struggle against my selfish will and trying to do the "right" thing when I don't really want to. At other times, all I want to do is pray and praise God, read Scripture, and get all holy'd up! And I seem too restless to settle at a healthy balance somewhere in between.

Taking it one step at a time is probably the real key: begin with small commitments and work up to larger ones as the discipline and sincere desire grow.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

AccountDeleted

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1494324' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:51 PM']I don't pray of Office on a regular basis. I've always been sporadic with it, like a lot of things in life (both religious and secular). I'm lazy and undisciplined and praying the Office and rosary or simply praying at all (i.e. for family and friends) often feel like so much work because it's such a struggle against my selfish will and trying to do the "right" thing when I don't really want to. At other times, all I want to do is pray and praise God, read Scripture, and get all holy'd up! And I seem too restless to settle at a healthy balance somewhere in between.

Taking it one step at a time is probably the real key: begin with small commitments and work up to larger ones as the discipline and sincere desire grow.[/quote]

Wow - what an honest post! I am sure we all have problems with self-discipline at one time or another but you are right, start with something small on a regular basis until it becomes a habit and then it won't even seem like self-discipline - it will just be natural for you. You might consider just saying Compline - it is a fairly short Office and you can say it just before bed - kind of like being a child again saying your night prayers! Bless you.

• 2 months later...
Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I've recently started praying it, but sometimes miss the midmorning, midday, and midafternoon prayers, and sometimes evening prayer. I'm still getting into the rhythm of it, I guess. I'm trying, though! And yes, I am discerning.

Caramelonion

Just a week ago, a friend and I were taught how to say Morning, Evening and Night prayer with the four volume version. I have decided to do just night prayer and then work up to evening and then morning.

I love the Little Office and often say it. Compline is my favorite part and it does relax me before bed. It is all about praise, and love, so whatever you can do is awesome.