An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Ask An Atheist A Question, What Would It Be?

thessalonian

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1581287' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:38 AM']OOOOHHHHH, I have a question, finally. Well two now, I guess, but one of them is just a little one.

1) What is the bare minimum that it would take for you to believe in God?
Answer however you want here. Make up circumstances. I'm not picky.
2) What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?
;) I may say this jokingly, but I still want you to answer.[/quote]
1) I'm not really sure. I know God actually showing up would work, but I'm not quite sure if that's really the bare minimum... If there's something else, I'm not aware of its existence, but just for you guys, I won't rule out the possibility. :P

2) My immediate thought is that since there is a lot of empty space between molecules that the unstoppable force would continue through the immovable object. With any other objects, the atomic forces would utterly destroy one of the two but because one is unstoppable and the other is immovable, that is not the case here.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1581287' date='Jun 24 2008, 01:38 AM']2) What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?[/quote]

[quote name='JustJ' post='1585887' date='Jun 28 2008, 08:16 PM']2) My immediate thought is that since there is a lot of empty space between molecules that the unstoppable force would continue through the immovable object. With any other objects, the atomic forces would utterly destroy one of the two but because one is unstoppable and the other is immovable, that is not the case here.[/quote]

I would think that the unstoppable force would either be absorbed completely as heat energy by the immovable object and subsequently dissipated OR the immovable object would simply respond with an equal, but opposite force that would cause a basically elastic collision that allows the unstoppable force to ricochet with an equal force in the opposite direction (disregarding heat/friction loss).

It's been a few years since college physics though...

Edited by Veridicus

• 2 weeks later...
dominicansoul

I have many times asked atheists....

"you do not love?"

In which they say, "Of course we love....we love our parents, our children...how dare you say we don't love!"

Then I tell them....their unbelief in God is fallible....for GOD [i]is[/i] Love!

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1599207' date='Jul 13 2008, 02:46 PM']I have many times asked atheists....
"you do not love?"
In which they say, "Of course we love....we love our parents, our children...how dare you say we don't love!"

Then I tell them....their unbelief in God is fallible....for GOD [i]is[/i] Love![/quote]
You are taking it from the point of assuming your god exists as the bible tells you, and that it is always right and no matter if an atheist actually does love, you will say they do not.

Say I don't love all you want. I love my friends.

dominicansoul

[quote name='JustJ' post='1599301' date='Jul 13 2008, 03:57 PM']You are taking it from the point of assuming your god exists as the bible tells you, and that it is always right and no matter if an atheist actually does love, you will say they do not.

Say I don't love all you want. [b]I love my friends[/b].[/quote]

You just made my point. I wasn't saying atheist do not love. I am saying because they do, their dis-belief in God is fallible because GOD IS LOVE...

Edited by dominicansoul

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1599492' date='Jul 13 2008, 08:39 PM']You just made my point. I wasn't saying atheist do not love. I am saying because they do, their dis-belief in God is fallible because GOD IS LOVE...[/quote]
I don't understand your argument.
Maybe I'm not interpreting correctly, but it sounds like circular reasoning.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1599482' date='Jul 13 2008, 09:30 PM']What is your favorite colour?[/quote]
Green, usually. It fluctuates sometimes, though.
[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1599492' date='Jul 13 2008, 09:39 PM']You just made my point. I wasn't saying atheist do not love. I am saying because they do, their dis-belief in God is fallible because GOD IS LOVE...[/quote]
Oh, now I see what you say. I believe in love. Just because I believe in love, and you say that God is love, that does not mean that I believe in God, because the term God has a lot more meaning to it than just love.

Edited by JustJ

[quote name='JustJ' post='1599753' date='Jul 14 2008, 03:21 AM']Green, usually. It fluctuates sometimes, though.

Oh, now I see what you say. I believe in love. Just because I believe in love, and you say that God is love, that does not mean that I believe in God, because the term God has a lot more meaning to it than just love.[/quote]
Are you an atheist or an agnostic?

Atheism seems like so much work.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Winchester' post='1599985' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:03 PM']Are you an atheist or an agnostic?

Atheism seems like so much work.[/quote]
Sometimes. In other ways believing is a lot harder. :D
Depends on the perspective.

I like to think we're 'truly happier' though. ;)

• 5 weeks later...
Saint Therese

My question for a secular humanist/atheist would be how can you account for authentic altruism? According to theories of natural selection and the "selfish gene", an individual does what is best for himself and is not concerned for the welfare of others.
Also, How can you explain Mother Teresa?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1627656' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:39 PM']My question for a secular humanist/atheist would be how can you account for authentic altruism? According to theories of natural selection and the "selfish gene", an individual does what is best for himself and is not concerned for the welfare of others.
Also, How can you explain Mother Teresa?[/quote]
They would probably tell you that it's a product of evolution. That the 'greater good' for survival of the species is unconciously recognized.
Although after reading Miracles by CS Lewis it just seems plain silly to think that. :)