An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cloisterite Foundation Update

Gemma

BarbTherese

[quote name='SRLAUREL' date='19 August 2008 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1219131028' post='1631424']

Further, in a world where so many people MUST live isolated lives, whether because of illness, age, or whatever, the diocesan hermit in particular makes particular claims about solitude, human nature, grace, and the possibilities of redeeming a life that would otherwise be isolated and relatively meaningless in ordinary terms. She says that isolation can be transformed into true solitude, that a life which seems fruitless or worthless in this world's terms is instead of infinite value and participates in dimensions of reality our world often does not know or esteem. This witness seems to me to be considerably less when a "hermit" is merely embracing the life as a step towards something else.

Sincerely,
Sister Laurel M O'Neal
Stillsong Hermitage
Diocese of Oakland
[/quote]

The above is a very important point I think. I wont respond to it at length here in this thread as my post would be totally off topic and may lead the whole thread astray. I may start another thread on the above point and if I do, I will return to this thread and post the link.

Thank you, Sr. Laurel, for raising the above - it is a very important concept for those who do feel decidely alone and 'on the outside'....and even stronger descriptions than that. Because such tend to be in the minority, they are ignored in the main as having anything of real value to contribute intrinsically. Most often they are looked upon as objects for the charity of others. As objects or subjects for ministry. Not as having a distinct and absolutely valuable ministry of their own by the very nature of their aloneness and sufferings and the why's of it.
If anyone wants to respond to my comments above, please transfer into a new thread if I have not already done so, so I am not guilty of taking this thread off topic. I dont have time to start a new thread just now but I did want to point out the importance of what Sr. Laurel had to say above. It is something important that consecrated hermits do witness to in both in our Church and in our world. It is a statement that they make by their vocation per se.

Blessings this Lent - Barb

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Sister_Laurel

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' date='06 March 2010 - 06:31 PM' timestamp='1267925478' post='2067709']
The above is a very important point I think. I wont respond to it at length here in this thread as my post would be totally off topic and may lead the whole thread astray. I may start another thread on the above point and if I do, I will return to this thread and post the link.

Thank you, Sr. Laurel, for raising the above - it is a very important concept for those who do feel decidely alone and 'on the outside'....and even stronger descriptions than that. Because such tend to be in the minority, they are ignored in the main as having anything of real value to contribute intrinsically. Most often they are looked upon as objects for the charity of others. As objects or subjects for ministry. Not as having a distinct and absolutely valuable ministry of their own by the very nature of their aloneness and sufferings and the why's of it.
If anyone wants to respond to my comments above, please transfer into a new thread if I have not already done so, so I am not guilty of taking this thread off topic. I dont have time to start a new thread just now but I did want to point out the importance of what Sr. Laurel had to say above. It is something important that consecrated hermits do witness to in both in our Church and in our world. It is a statement that they make by their vocation per se.

Blessings this Lent - Barb
[/quote]

It is part of what I identify as the unique charism of the diocesan hermit. Remember that a charism is a gift-quality something brings to Church and World which is inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is something that flows from the confluence of Gospel, human need, and will of God. Today I think it is so important to address the alienation marking and marring so many lives, and one of the ways to do that for the diocesan hermit is to testify or witness to the redemption of isolation/alienation into genuine solitude. All contemplative life says that it is who we are, not what we do that makes us infinitely precious to God and valuable. But solitary eremitical life also says that God alone is enough for us, and that when we are alone in every way, we may still witness to this fact.

Sorry, I didn't start a new thread either, but this is a really important topic, I think.

BarbTherese

God bless! - Barb
I don't want to drag this thread off topic - but I may start a new thread on the subject
and if I do will link to your posts.

BarbTherese

[quote name='SRLAUREL' date='09 March 2010 - 06:26 AM' timestamp='1268078207' post='2068996']
It is part of what I identify as the unique charism of the diocesan hermit. Remember that a charism is a gift-quality something brings to Church and World which is inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is something that flows from the confluence of Gospel, human need, and will of God. Today I think it is so important to address the alienation marking and marring so many lives, and one of the ways to do that for the diocesan hermit is to testify or witness to the redemption of isolation/alienation into genuine solitude. All contemplative life says that it is who we are, not what we do that makes us infinitely precious to God and valuable. But solitary eremitical life also says that God alone is enough for us, and that when we are alone in every way, we may still witness to this fact.

Sorry, I didn't start a new thread either, but this is a really important topic, I think.
[/quote]

Hi Sister..........Plans for today have been unexpectedly cancelled so I took the time to open a new thread. I am hoping that you just may have the time to address some points that I have raised from your posts and expand on them. My OP is lengthy and a bit of a ramble, but I think I said all I wanted to say and am hoping that any other poster, including yourself, will be an education for me and perhaps others and a 'lights on' experience. The thread is here http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=103412

Blessings this Lent..........Barb
Sister, I have just more or less realized and thank goodness the edit facility is still operative that you posted way back in August 2008!!! I read I think all of the thread thinking it was current - I really do need a 'lights on' experience for which many will be grateful I know! We have a saying here "lights on, but nobody home"............most of the time I am home but no lights on!!! :smokey:

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I see this thread has been pruned but I just wanted to say thank you to Barbara for your reply to my question yesterday.

BarbTherese

[quote name='vee8' date='09 March 2010 - 10:49 AM' timestamp='1268093965' post='2069172']
I see this thread has been pruned but I just wanted to say thank you to Barbara for your reply to my question yesterday.
[/quote]

God bless, vee8. I must confess however, that if I recall my own name I am truly blest. I am now some 30 years or so divorced and reverted to my maiden surname and can still at times need to stop myself from signing my married name.
Edit: I just had a look at your profile and your posts and I see that the question was about divorce, annulment and religious life. I hope that my response was correct - I think it was in the main. I was only drawing on my own knowledge and experience.

Blessings to you and yours this Lent - Barb

Edited by BarbaraTherese

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' date='08 March 2010 - 07:25 PM' timestamp='1268094312' post='2069175']
God bless, vee8. I must confess however, that if I recall my own name I am truly blest. I am now some 30 years or so divorced and reverted to my maiden surname and can still at times need to stop myself from signing my married name.
Edit: I just had a look at your profile and your posts and I see that the question was about divorce, annulment and religious life. I hope that my response was correct - I think it was in the main. I was only drawing on my own knowledge and experience.

Blessings to you and yours this Lent - Barb
[/quote]

Well as long as you dont sign with a name you never even had.:topsy:

Your reply helped because I was wondering what a non annulment divorcee might be and if people with that situation might enter religious life. At least now I know if the question ever comes up on here that people can be considered even if they had a previous marriage.

BarbTherese

quote name='vee8'
[quote]Well as long as you dont sign with a name you never even had.:topsy:[/quote]

Guilty of that one! :saint: But only on Catholic Discussion Sites :shock: - although not Phatmass. :saint:
[quote]
Your reply helped because I was wondering what a non annulment divorcee might be and if people with that situation might enter religious life. At least now I know if the question ever comes up on here that people can be considered even if they had a previous marriage.[/quote]

A divorced person can still be considered for religious life providing they have an annulment. If ever in doubt about any Church regulation or law, you can phone your diocesan offices, who will be able to answer a question(s) or give a contact point for someone who can. This is always a good move because it gets the information 'from the horses mouth' as it were. You can remain anonymous if you wish.

Re religious life. There are very many religious orders and a phone call to them will very often give an accurate answer to any question re their own regulations re religious life in their congregation. This may or may not apply to another religious order. Again you can retain anonymity if you wish with such enquiries.

I would never discourage any person I hope who was pondering religious life.........."all things are possible to God" and very often the tiny seed planted by The Holy Spirit of religious vocation is attraction or pondering. I would I hope encourage them to follow through on that. Sometimes one starts off pondering religious life and this can lead on to clarification, insight and embracing joyfully God's invitation to oneself, which just may not be religious life........or it may.

God bless and thank you for asking the question and thanking 'me' for the reply. God is Good. My dear Dad used to have a stock standard reply to anyone who thanked him "Don't thank me thank The Lord" and he said it in such an offhanded convincing type of way that was not at all dismissive - I have never been able to replicate him ..........Barb

Edited by BarbaraTherese

• 3 weeks later...
Sister_Laurel

[quote name='Gemma' date='14 June 2008 - 07:04 AM' timestamp='1213452293' post='1571056']
. . .
That may or may not happen on October 10. Our canonist has just asked for some documentation, which I have to go gather.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

Is this the same Canonist, Sister Sheila Richardson, ESA, Diocese of Charlotte, you claim has been guiding you every step of the way, Gemma?

[quote name='SRLAUREL' date='25 March 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1269581118' post='2080388']
Is this the same Canonist, Sister Sheila Richardson, ESA, Diocese of Charlotte, you claim has been guiding you every step of the way, Gemma?
[/quote]

I'd just like to point out that Gemma has not even signed in to Phatmass since Christmas of 2009. It might be best to let these threads stay dead.

• 4 weeks later...
sistersintigo

[quote name='EWIE' date='17 August 2008 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1218988919' post='1629586']
THANK YOU St. Laurel.
I hope once and for all this settles the "cloisterite" subject.

You just can't make these things up.
[/quote]
Just returned from approaching, with bated breath, the blogs from Cloister Outreach land. Was curious to see whatever might be new.
There are no further updates about the foundation(s) within the blogs, did not check other pages.
Physical illness, on the part of the founder, is the topic of the most recent blog update. It would appear that her plate, so to speak, is full right now.
That's all.

Found this:

http://catholickey.blogspot.com/2009/06/hermitess-in-manhattan.html

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/hermitess_professes_vows_dedicates_life_to_the_praise_of_god/

Hermitess professes vows, dedicates life to the praise of God

Pictures http://www.wayofroses.com/chapel.htm

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='22 April 2010 - 12:18 AM' timestamp='1271906303' post='2097728']
I think we just need to let this one go.
[/quote]

Agreed -- and sisterintigo this is part of the reason why bringing up old threads can be problematic; you're bringing up a comment that was made in 2008. Please read the full thread; and there are other threads that discuss the issue ad nauseum.

Blessings,

[quote name='zunshynn' date='25 March 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1269582762' post='2080396']
I'd just like to point out that Gemma has not even signed in to Phatmass since Christmas of 2009. It might be best to let these threads stay dead.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
agreed. thread closed.