An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where In The Us Should I Move?

Didacus

fides quarens intellectum

Found it - sorry - she actually said it this week -

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1554230' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:09 AM']THe sun is shining today!!!! Little tiny white clouds of a sky of Mary blue...since we only see it like this about 60 days a year, it is a perfectly wonderful day!!!!!![/quote]

LOL

We don't have too many sunny days over here either if you discount sunny winter days with -30Celcius temperature outside.

Edited by Didacus

• 12 years later...

OK so... here's the deal.  I've considered many times moving to the US and i am seriously thinking it over again.

Thing is there's this rumour that when Trump wins on November 3rd, a bunch of liberals from Holliwood might be moving to Canada and to me so the last straw!

So if i was to move to the US - where would you propose i move?

57 minutes ago, Didacus said:

OK so... here's the deal.  I've considered many times moving to the US and i am seriously thinking it over again.

Thing is there's this rumour that when Trump wins on November 3rd, a bunch of liberals from Holliwood might be moving to Canada and to me so the last straw!

So if i was to move to the US - where would you propose i move?

Well that depends. Are you male / female? Married. Single. Age?

On 10/22/2020 at 8:22 PM, Peace said:

Well that depends. Are you male / female? Married. Single. Age?

47 years old... i think.

Married

Kids grown but grandfather 5 times... expecting 6th grandkid in about 6 months.

French, originally from Quebec.

Craddle Catholic, fairly knowledgeable and strive to always be faithful.

Mechanical engineer with license... 20+ years of various experience.

Prefer spacious low density areas - don't like habing neighbors too close.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:38 PM, Didacus said:

47 years old... i think.

Married

Kids grown but grandfather 5 times... expecting 6th grandkid in about 6 months.

French, originally from Quebec.

Craddle Catholic, fairly knowledgeable and strive to always be faithful.

Mechanical engineer with license... 20+ years of various experience.

Prefer spacious low density areas - don't like habing neighbors too close.

Sorry. I can't help you with that one but maybe others can. City boy. But at least close to me I would say a place like Front Royal VA or somewhere in the South.

Anywhere close to a major metropolitan center will probably have neighbours too close for you. Front Royal - cheaper but there are nicer VA counties further south trailing the hills of Shenandoah National Park. Keep in mind VA's state government will probably be blue from henceforth - not sure if the kinds of laws blue states pass would actually affect you much out in the country but I guess they do find a way. Taxes mostly. ;)

If you are cool with living a distance from a city you will pretty much be good to go anywhere.

Wyoming or South Dakota or Montana would be on my interest list if I didn't have other plans already. I love living close to the hills. Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Wind River range, Badlands - all sound amazing.

If you care about having a nice Catholic parish, it can be hit or miss out in the country. You might try keeping a weather eye out for monasteries, personal parishes, ordinariates, or other ecclesial centers that don't change as much over the passing years as some parishes do when priests inevitably get reassigned or bishops change. If I weren't already hoping to try and become a monk myself I would eventually want to buy a house near a monastery.

Ash Wednesday

Keep Texas red. Blue Californians ruin every place they try to move to. If I moved back to the US it would have to be someplace sunny and warm. 

I'm American but I moved to England when I got married. I hate the climate. You can't plan anything according to the weather here. But at least the churches and history are cool.  There is countryside where we like to go walking near our house and a monastery was once on the grounds in a nearby field, in medieval times. It was likely closed and destroyed after the Reformation. I sometimes wonder what those monks would think of a bizarre sight of a 40something woman like me stomping around nearby 1000 years later, saying a rosary but wearing an oversized NFL t-shirt and spandex.

• 2 years later...