An Old School Catholic Message Board

Graphic Anti-abortion Posters In A High School

Saint_Gemma_Galgani

Graphic anti-abortion posters in a high school  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Saint_Gemma_Galgani

I am planning to start a Catholic club at my high school during the 2008-2009 school year. One of the things that this club will do is to make pro-life posters and hang them up at school. Do you think that putting up graphic anti-abortion posters at my high school would be moral? Do you think that it would be effective? The posters in question would have pictures of aborted babies accompanied by something along the lines of "Killed by choice at 3 months gestation". I have three main concerns about these posters.

First, I am worried about the mentally disabled students at my high school. While seeing pictures of dead babies is disturbing for anyone, it would be even more disturbing for someone who would not be able to know why those babies are dead or why someone put their pictures on a poster.

Second, I am worried about violating the dignity of the babies depicted. While obviously the ones to violate their dignity in the first place were the people who killed them, having their pictures on a poster might add insult to injury.

Finally, I am concerned about the effectiveness of the posters. Pictures of aborted babies might alienate more people than they convert.

Would putting up graphic anti-abortion posters in my high school do more harm than good?

dairygirl4u2c

on the one hand, there will indeed be a lot of people who are affected postively by them. mostly, cookie cutter liberals who think they have to believe abortion is okay, yet are fighting it amongst themself, will slowly be eaten away at. eventually many of these will change.

some other cookie cutters, though, on the other hand, will simply solidify themself in their position, and take a holier than thou approach, espousing social norms that say posting them is unacceptable and only done by zeolots.
really though, if it's effective otherwise, there's nothing wrong with posting the truth, that people tend to conventiently ignore.

so... not a direct answer, just some stuff to think about. i'd tend to think it more likely to be helpful, just to cause controversy and stir conversation and thinking, which i think would inevitably lead people to reason, to realize the truth. but i may be wrong.
a lot of issues like this people don't talk about, so no one ever changes. they don't see the flaws in their thinking. or, society changes very very slowly. this could help speed up the reasoning process.

so the only real question is whether it's effective. if effective, it's definitely respecting the babies. if not effective, then it's pointless showcasing, and a case could be made that it's not respecting them. proably still would be if you meant well but yeah. bottomline to me is effectiveness.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

I am not going to vote at this time.

I am kinda undecided on this strategy for pro-lifers. I know that in some cases it has been effective. Yet, I feel that it exploits another human being's death.

On one hand I see how it might show the world what is going on in the abortion industry and be an eye opener for the world. It puts a face to the whole abortion controversy and the reason why we fight it. Yet there is something that does not sit right with me when I see the graphic signs.

I feel that it exploits the death and invades the privacy of the baby. They deserve privacy just like all other human beings. I fear that by showing the graphic images of their death, we are robbing them of the privacy that each one of us deserves.

So I see both sides and cannot make a true decision right now.

Your school probably won't even allow the posters to be put up in the first place. Unless yours is the type of school that doesn't follow dress code, then the likelihood of you being allowed to place those posters anywhere but in your health class is very small. Most schools don't want anything that distracts from the academic environment.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1550074' date='May 30 2008, 09:57 PM']Your school probably won't even allow the posters to be put up in the first place. Unless yours is the type of school that doesn't follow dress code, then the likelihood of you being allowed to place those posters anywhere but in your health class is very small. Most schools don't want anything that distracts from the academic environment.[/quote]

I am thinking that they won't because it is graphic. I mean we are talking about 13-17 year olds who would need to see a rated-R movie without an adult. I don't know how well a graphic poster will fly.

If you do decide to try to post them and the school says no, let me know. There might be effective posters that are not graphic. I'll look for some for you if you'd like.

As far as it being moral, I mentioned it in my previous post.

dairygirl4u2c

the academic concern might have merit to it. at first, i thought it sounded like a cop out, much like how social norms say posting them is always bad. but then, they are at a vulnerable time in their life, thinking back to what it was like as a highschooler, and could get emotionally and mentally etc distracted from school etc. this is a reasonable concern.

sometthing still tells me though that i disagree with it, cause i doubt it'd substantially affect a very substantial number of kids. making them think at an impressionable age would outweight the bad effects.
if you think they're not effective, i can see more how you'd disagree.

Pontifite 7 of 10

I changed my mind...I'm the dude who said it wouldn't be moral for them to be put up, but I changed my mind. It is. I'm Sorry.

rhetoricfemme

My high school wouldn't even allow us to discuss abortion. End of story.

I wouldn't go with the posters, simply it is degrading to the aborted child and it's unfair to have people involuntarily be a part of that visual audience. You may be able to scare some pro-choice folks, but as it's already been stated, you might also solidify other pro-choicers in their belief that

1. abortion is a right
2. Catholics are insensitive and will do whatever it takes to get their point across.

Neither of which is true!

I also have a sad image in my head of a sheltered pro-life teen who isn't ready to see that sort of thing, walking down the hall and then, there's that poster... And remember what you mentioned yourself--what about the mentally disabled students having to see those posters?

Instead, maybe your photo could feature amazing people like Einstein, Mother Teresa, or Princess Diana, and say something like, "Imagine he/she had been aborted..." Pick people who anyone would have a hard time denying their contributions to the world.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1550123' date='May 30 2008, 10:52 PM']Not immoral, but not the best idea. I'd put up 3D ultrasounds instead.[/quote]

I like this idea!!!

It's impossible to deny that preborn babies are more than just a hunk of cells when you see a 3d ultrasound. I remember addelyn's 1st 3d ultrasound...

:)

goldenchild17

I think it's disturbing to see and I wonder if its the best thing because of that. But then I think, THAT is why it's a good idea. Yeah it's disturbing. It should be. I wouldn't advocate this for any school or function involving predominantly kids younger than high school. But I think high school is an appropriate age to introduce the sickness of it. I like the idea of ultrasounds too, but I think they're both appropriate.

+J.M.J.+
America will not end abortion until it sees abortion.

Fr. Pavone? i believe said that.

goldenchild17

agreed. and high school's a good place to start I think. Those kids (for better or worse) can still be somewhat impressionable. I think it could make a bigger impact on them than others.

Edited by goldenchild17

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1550059' date='May 30 2008, 09:46 PM']on the one hand, there will indeed be a lot of people who are affected postively by them. mostly, cookie cutter liberals who think they have to believe abortion is okay, yet are fighting it amongst themself, will slowly be eaten away at. eventually many of these will change.

some other cookie cutters, though, on the other hand, will simply solidify themself in their position, and take a holier than thou approach, espousing social norms that say posting them is unacceptable and only done by zeolots.
really though, if it's effective otherwise, there's nothing wrong with posting the truth, that people tend to conventiently ignore.

so... not a direct answer, just some stuff to think about. i'd tend to think it more likely to be helpful, just to cause controversy and stir conversation and thinking, which i think would inevitably lead people to reason, to realize the truth. but i may be wrong.
a lot of issues like this people don't talk about, so no one ever changes. they don't see the flaws in their thinking. or, society changes very very slowly. this could help speed up the reasoning process.

so the only real question is whether it's effective. if effective, it's definitely respecting the babies. if not effective, then it's pointless showcasing, and a case could be made that it's not respecting them. proably still would be if you meant well but yeah. bottomline to me is effectiveness.[/quote]
I'm agreeing w/ Dairygirl here...

Good post :mellow:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1550261' date='May 31 2008, 12:44 AM']+J.M.J.+

Fr. Pavone? i believe said that.[/quote]

Interesting

I'm not voting yet... my first reaction is "yeah, give em the graphics!" but then, I haven't seen aborted baby images yet (I can only imagine what it looks like... ew...) so I'm not one to talk...

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1550261' date='May 31 2008, 01:44 AM']+J.M.J.+

Fr. Pavone? i believe said that.[/quote]
Fr. Pavone says a lot of things that I don't agree with. I'm sorry, I respect him as a priest and I respect him for his obvious commitment to the pro-life movement, but some of the things he says kinda make me go :blink:

Edited by XIX