An Old School Catholic Message Board

Graphic Anti-abortion Posters In A High School

Saint_Gemma_Galgani

Graphic anti-abortion posters in a high school  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dustthouart

I don't think it's moral to shock people with gross images. What if someone is feeling nauseous and sees the image and barfs? "the pro-life movement--it made me literally lose my lunch."

I'm 100% prolife and seeing images of aborted babies shouldn't be necessary. I don't have to see images of dismembered adult murder victims to know that murder is wrong.

Now, tabling and offering to let people look at the images is one thing. Saying politely "Would you like to see an image of an aborted fetus from 3 months gestation?" is moral and awesome. Shoving these images in soeone's face without knowing what their mental state is at that moment is immoral.

Again, some of the people in your school could already be post-abortive and trying to heal. Can you imagine what it would be like for a 16-year-old girl deeply regretting her abortion to see one of those images? I don't think it's a stretch to say that it could inspire a suicide.

With regards to "aren't you glad X wasn't aborted," that's not a good argument, because pro-chociers just throw "Well what if Hitler had been aborted" back in our faces. I think it's much better to say "Aren't you glad your mother chose life?" That makes it personal. Or "Every life deserves a chance." Even Hitler deserved the chance to live--it was his choices that messed it up.

I personally think if anyone should see them, it should be those who support abortion rights to (hopefully) change their mind. If society wants to treat it as a simple medical procedure, it's only fair to show the side effects or abortion's case, the actual consequences. Similar (but on a much lower order) to how commercials for drugs nowadays need to lists out all of the potential complications. Well, in the case of abortion, it's significantly more than a mere side effect of a minor drug. Instead, there's a very visibly negative and personal consequence that is commonly overlooked or ignored. Therefore, I think it's fair (and in some vague sense just) to share these realities with those who support abortion in hopes of showing them the bigger picture. Along the same line of thinking, I would not post it in a public area for a general audience. I would engage others who side with the pro-choice and invite them to look at the [i]necessary[/i] consequences of abortion if those images are to be used.

[url="http://www.feministsforlife.org"]http://www.feministsforlife.org[/url] have the best posters I have ever seen, and they are not graphic.

You can find them here:

[url="http://www.feministsforlife.org/ads/index.htm"]http://www.feministsforlife.org/ads/index.htm[/url]

Edited by prose

fides quarens intellectum

ooh, those are really good posters, prose.

i'm kind of torn on this issue - yes, it might be more effective for high schoolers, and they'd probably remember the posters, but all the negativity attached to posters of aborted fetuses may not be what you're wanting in the end.

IrishSalesian

I voted that it would be moral to show the graphic images for the sole reason that unless the younger generation sees what an absolute atrocity abortion is, how are they ever going to change society from that of 'its all about me' to that of a society that is in line with the Gospels? The young people need to know how horrible this holocaust really is, and I know that many of them do not. I know that my mother, and my sisters have said that abortion is morally permissible. I know one woman who said that she would have no problem in taking her daughter to have an abortion for the fact that her daughter has "to much going for her" right now. This is the world we live in. A world that has no idea of the atrocity that abortion is. I think that images will open alot of peoples eyes.

samfran08x3

i know graphic might be a bit much but you know kids these days they have to see the real thing to understand. people need to see the real thing and understand the real thing to get it through their head that abortion is wrong. You made the mistake by thinkin you were grown enough to do the deed...now you be grown enough to take care of the end result. yea i know some people have someone do something bad to them and them not be willing to do that but there are people in this world who would love to have your baby if you cant take care of it....i am VERY VERY VERY Pro-life. I'd punch a friend if they ever told me they were getting an abortion. I remember the exact time of life i became prolife and i'll never forget it =].

samfran08x3

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1550123' date='May 30 2008, 10:52 PM']Not immoral, but not the best idea. I'd put up 3D ultrasounds instead.[/quote]

yea ultrasounds get to me. It sometimes brings a tear to my eye that there is life inside you. lol like in juno...your baby has fingernails!!! Its the best gift God has given us i believe. I dont see how anyone could just throw away something like that.

samfran08x3

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1550271' date='May 31 2008, 12:48 AM']agreed. and high school's a good place to start I think. Those kids (for better or worse) can still be somewhat impressionable. I think it could make a bigger impact on them than others.[/quote]

Personally...i think its a GREAT place to start because thats where i hear about most abortions. teens influenced by the media and pop culture and then not wanting to fill the duties of a parent...yea sorry i keep posting. As a high school student...well not anymore...I would have made a pro-life club if i could.

Edited by samfran08x3

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1553527' date='Jun 1 2008, 07:48 PM']I voted that it would be moral to show the graphic images for the sole reason that unless the younger generation sees what an absolute atrocity abortion is, how are they ever going to change society from that of 'its all about me' to that of a society that is in line with the Gospels? The young people need to know how horrible this holocaust really is, and I know that many of them do not. I know that my mother, and my sisters have said that abortion is morally permissible. I know one woman who said that she would have no problem in taking her daughter to have an abortion for the fact that her daughter has "to much going for her" right now. This is the world we live in. A world that has no idea of the atrocity that abortion is. I think that images will open alot of peoples eyes.[/quote]
I agree.

I think people get too comfortable with the idea of abortion, and sometimes need to be shocked into what an absolutely horrible atrocity it is.

While I was raised in a pro-life household, seeing "graphic" images as a kid made a vivid impression on me of how wrong abortion was.

Sure, some people are so hardened, the pictures will have no effect, and they may not be appropriate for all circumstances, but there is certainly nothing immoral about showing such pictures.

Upsetting people is not intrinsically immoral, but killing babies and allowing the slaughter to go unopposed is.

Autumn Dusk

Graphic images breed violence and de-sensitize. The more we see them the LESS human people become. Have you ever tried to watch news after a couple months of not? Its horrible! But then after a few months of watching the nightly news most people will start shrugging their shoulders again.

They need to be presented, yes, but in a fashion that highlights life and not death.

I still think 3D ultrasounds are the way to go.

For one, they are much more likely to be allowed at schools. There isn't anything offensive about them in the least, so there would be no reason for the school to disallow it.

Second, you don't have to worry about the extra-sensitive or the mentally handicapped having bad reactions to 3D ultrasounds.

Norseman82

Graphic pictures are not immoral, but I would first show the fetal development/ultrasound pictures first. Once a discussion is started, then I would gauge the reaction and treat the graphic pictures as a "standby weapon" to show either individually or to small groups.

You could also show the pictures as part of a "methods of abortion presentation" for a science class or fair (and say it is the [i]scientific[/i] aspect of abortion), or show "The Silent Scream".

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Alycin' post='1555782' date='Jun 3 2008, 06:25 AM']I still think 3D ultrasounds are the way to go.

For one, they are much more likely to be allowed at schools. There isn't anything offensive about them in the least, so there would be no reason for the school to disallow it.

Second, you don't have to worry about the extra-sensitive or the mentally handicapped having bad reactions to 3D ultrasounds.[/quote]
:yes:

[quote name='Saint_Gemma_Galgani' post='1550036' date='May 30 2008, 08:25 PM']First, I am worried about the mentally disabled students at my high school. While seeing pictures of dead babies is disturbing for anyone, it would be even more disturbing for someone who would not be able to know why those babies are dead or why someone put their pictures on a poster.[/quote]
I suggest you challenge someone who is pro-choice explain to them why these babies were killed.

They have a right to know the truth to the limits of their understanding just like everyone else. Not letting them see the posters would be the injustice.

Proper care in explaning to them the context may help and hopefully be enough.

[quote name='Saint_Gemma_Galgani' post='1550036' date='May 30 2008, 08:25 PM']Second, I am worried about violating the dignity of the babies depicted. While obviously the ones to violate their dignity in the first place were the people who killed them, having their pictures on a poster might add insult to injury.[/quote]

This is a valid point. However, consider giving the senseless act a purpose; the babie's lives will serve to protect the lives of others from their fate. There is dignity to be found in this context.

[quote name='Saint_Gemma_Galgani' post='1550036' date='May 30 2008, 08:25 PM']Finally, I am concerned about the effectiveness of the posters. Pictures of aborted babies might alienate more people than they convert.

Would putting up graphic anti-abortion posters in my high school do more harm than good?[/quote]

The posters will be VERY effective. So effective, that I would be concerned about repercussions from pro-choice groups who will complain by every avenue possible. The posters will be so effective that the opponents of pro-life will do absolutely everything in their power to get the posters torn down. I guarantee it!

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1555799' date='Jun 3 2008, 12:49 AM']Graphic pictures are not immoral, but I would first show the fetal development/ultrasound pictures first. Once a discussion is started, then I would gauge the reaction and treat the graphic pictures as a "standby weapon" to show either individually or to small groups.

You could also show the pictures as part of a "methods of abortion presentation" for a science class or fair (and say it is the [i]scientific[/i] aspect of abortion), or show "The Silent Scream".[/quote]

that sounds like a sound plan.

Maybe a two layered poster?

Layer one showing a baby at 3 months gestation in the womb, alive and doing well with the inscription; Lift poster to see effects of abortion.

Once the first layer is lifted, the aborted pic is on layer two with the message 'killed by choice at three months gestation'.

A disclaimer can be affixed to the first layer to warn the truly light hearted, adn the truly shocking images will in general be hidden from sight, visible only to those who lift the first layer after supposedly reading and being warned of the content of the second layer.

How does that sound?