An Old School Catholic Message Board

Weight Loss For The Lord

Saint Therese

Caramelonion

When I went to visit the Poor Clares six years ago...I was heavier than I am now and nothing was said to me about it...for which I was grateful...I figured that since they eat mostly a vegetarian diet...I would be able to lose weight for that reason alone.

Saint Therese

Thank ya'll, Ireally appreciate all your input. I am on a program of healthy eating (NOT a diet). I have been ever since I was ill in February. FOr me, at this point, having the desire, knowledge, skills and willpower to eat healthily is not an issue. I know what to eat, how much to eat, how often to eat, and I have the strong desire to continue doing so. Also importantly, I've discussed my eating program with many family and friends, so if I were to go back now, I would definitely be held accountable.
THe thing is, I've always been a sedentary person(aside from my job), especially since I'm such an avid reader. Now that I'm strong in my eating habits, I plan to begin some sort of structured excercise program. I havn't decided exactly what yet, I'll probably just start with walking,which is very convenient for me, and then progress from there.
I do understand that serious health issue are strongly correllated with obesity,DUH! :D
While I am not an athlete like Teresabenedicta, I am fairly active at work, do lots of lifting, so its not like I'm using a walker or something.

Divine_Mercy504

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1562973' date='Jun 7 2008, 11:09 PM']Thank ya'll, Ireally appreciate all your input. I am on a program of healthy eating (NOT a diet). I have been ever since I was ill in February. FOr me, at this point, having the desire, knowledge, skills and willpower to eat healthily is not an issue. I know what to eat, how much to eat, how often to eat, and I have the strong desire to continue doing so. Also importantly, I've discussed my eating program with many family and friends, so if I were to go back now, I would definitely be held accountable.
THe thing is, I've always been a sedentary person(aside from my job), especially since I'm such an avid reader. Now that I'm strong in my eating habits, I plan to begin some sort of structured excercise program. I havn't decided exactly what yet, I'll probably just start with walking,which is very convenient for me, and then progress from there.
I do understand that serious health issue are strongly correllated with obesity,DUH! :D
While I am not an athlete like Teresabenedicta, I am fairly active at work, do lots of lifting, so its not like I'm using a walker or something.[/quote]

Since you are an avid reader, you could try working out on a stationary bike. I love reading too, and I used to be extremely overwieght (borderline obese). Then I started using a stationary bike so I could read while I exercised. I lost 60lbs doing that.

Rachel

franciscanheart

[quote name='Divine_Mercy504' post='1563252' date='Jun 8 2008, 07:56 AM']Since you are an avid reader, you could try working out on a stationary bike. I love reading too, and I used to be extremely overwieght (borderline obese). Then I started using a stationary bike so I could read while I exercised. I lost 60lbs doing that.

Rachel[/quote]
that's neat. i never even thought of that.

What a great topic and I am really happy to see that, though we all have a somewhat varied opinion, it has been done with real caring for each others opinions without alot of backbiting. Amen to that, and hopefully we can continue in that vein.

Saint Therese

I am soon to acquire a treadmill. I will either read while I walk, or pop in an inspiratinal movie, like In This House of Brede! :lol_roll:
I changed my avatar- I thought it was appropriate! :topsy:

Edited by Saint Therese

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1563393' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:23 PM']My sister is soon to give me a treadmill. I will either read while I walk, or pop in an inspiratinal movie, like In This House of Brede! :lol_roll:[/quote]

Elliptical machines are miracle workers, they are really good workouts, and it is very easy to stay on there for the length of a movie. I used to watch entire seasons on America's Next Top Model while working out on the treadmill.

I've also thought about getting an exercise trampoline. Hehe.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1563393' date='Jun 8 2008, 12:23 PM']I am soon to acquire a treadmill. I will either read while I walk, or pop in an inspiratinal movie, like In This House of Brede! :lol_roll:
I changed my avatar- I thought it was appropriate! :topsy:[/quote]
:o I didn't know they'd made a movie of the book! Is it worth it? I mean, is the movie even close to the book? Does it do the story line justice? Do tell!

[quote name='Alycin' post='1563395' date='Jun 8 2008, 12:27 PM']Elliptical machines are miracle workers, they are really good workouts, and it is very easy to stay on there for the length of a movie. I used to watch entire seasons on America's Next Top Model while working out on the treadmill.

I've also thought about getting an exercise trampoline. Hehe.[/quote]
:unsure: I never got the hang of the elliptical machine. Call me crazy... I'm pretty sure I'm the only person I know who can't seem to get the hang of the suckers.

Saint Therese

The movie is different from the book, but it is still a GREAT movie, especially a vocation type movie. I love it because it shows that nuns are human without making them out to be knife wielding maniacs.
Phillipa Talbot____>
I've never even tried an elliptical machine.[img]http://www.mustardseed.org.au/catalog/images/1867.jpg[/img]

Edited by Saint Therese

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1563413' date='Jun 8 2008, 02:46 PM']The movie is different from the book, but it is still a GREAT movie, especially a vocation type movie. I love it because it shows that nuns are human without making them out to be knife wielding maniacs.
[img]http://www.mustardseed.org.au/catalog/images/1867.jpg[/img][/quote]

I have this movie its great, just got abit confused about the young gal that comes in and is still in love with a boyfriend????
Anyway, maybe I watch it again tonight.

Saint Therese

One thing that is suprising since I've lost some weight is the difference in energy level. I have A LOT more energy now. :tumbleweed:

franciscanheart

i think its more to do with your reserve energy. if im correct, being overweight exhausts you like three times as fast as you would normally exhaust. but i could be wrong.. and usually am... haha!

IrishSalesian

Im not a light person, i am 5'8", and weigh 325lbs. I was accepted and nothing was said of my weight. However, once i was established they asked me to go see a weight counseler. Now I have to hold myself accountable. The community helps me alot. I eat what i need, and only that. No soda, no carbinated drinks of any kind. I have tried to exercise at the gym in Seton Hall University where i go to school, but some of the people who go there need a lesson on modesty. The gym became a distraction so I no longer go there, but i should go back because I need do get back in to a routine, and it is not easy to lose weight if there is no routine. My goal is to lose 100lbs, in three years. Pray for me!

CatherineM

IrishS-I lost twice that much in 6 years, so your goal is obviously reasonable. The Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado has the best information. They maintain a weight loss registry where anyone who has lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off for at least a year, can register and they collect information about how they did it. Most people on the register have actually lost 100 lbs. and kept it off for 3 years. 3 years is the the goal because they have found that once you keep it off for 3 years, it gets much easier to not regain. They have a listing of the 7 habits of highly effective weight loss maintainers, that has been very helpful to me.