An Old School Catholic Message Board

Clerical Celibacy

Nihil Obstat

tinytherese

[quote name='srmarymichael' post='1863831' date='May 10 2009, 10:39 PM']One thing that I don't see mentioned here in this thread is the very important and close connection between the 2 vocations of married life and celibacy.

All people that are celibate are really married. They have the same desires to be loved and to love. They have the same desires to be united with Someone in an intimate way. They have the same desires to be a father/mother. We are just called to live it out differently. If I didn't have that desire to be espoused and to mother, I would not know how to be intimate with God, to be His wife, or to mother His children!

This is hard to describe in a phorum, but I'm trying.

In fact, a person applying to a Monastery or a seminary or convent should be a person that wants to get married and have children and be a mother / father. Otherwise, they will not be able to fulfill their calling in a healthy way in God's family.

Does this make sense? I hope so. It's a deep mystery.[/quote]

I understand what you mean. I've even heard that Mother Angelica said that to her nuns and the brothers that if they didn't want to be married or become mothers or fathers to "See ya' later." The idea of spiritual mother hood and spiritual fatherhood and not to mention the marriages that go one whether it be a priest wedding the Church or nuns and religious sisters wedding Christ Himself are what really helped me to see the beauty of their vocations. I remember watching this movie called Little Margaret of Costello where Blessed Margaret was told that she had either one of two vocations to either marry an earthly man and to hold her children in her womb or to marry Our Lord and hold her children in her heart. :love:

AbsconditaInDeo

I'm not sure if this article/video is relevant, but I just saw this on MSN and then I saw this topic so I thought I'd share :)

[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30681720/?GT1=43001"]Celebrity Priest Backs Celibacy but may Marry[/url]

[quote name='AbsconditaInDeo' post='1864230' date='May 11 2009, 11:38 AM']I'm not sure if this article/video is relevant, but I just saw this on MSN and then I saw this topic so I thought I'd share :)

[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30681720/?GT1=43001"]Celebrity Priest Backs Celibacy but may Marry[/url][/quote]
I would slightly amend one small portion of the article:

"Rev. Alberto Cutie told the CBS 'Early Show' on Monday he supports the [b]Roman[/b] church's stand that priests [b]within its patriarchal jurisdiction[/b] should be celibate and said he does not want to become the 'anti-celibacy priest.'"

• 10 years later...
On 6/18/2008 at 2:41 PM, Nihil Obstat said:

One of a few things I still can't get my head around... clerical celibacy.
I understand the reasoning behind it, in theory, but unlike the vast majority of doctrines, I can hear an explanation, but I just don't feel it. I don't understand all that well.
It seems to me, from one way of looking at it, that enforced clerical celibacy excludes a great many people who (like myself) would seriously consider the priesthood otherwise.
Personally, I like to think that I could make it all right down that path... except for this one part.
It's not that I'm against this, not at all... I support the Magisterium 100%. I just think it seems like a bit of a shame that it has to be this way.
I would really appreciate other perspectives, so that I can finally entirely understand why things are the way they have to be.

The legend. One of my favorite members.

Edited by Guest

My spelling has come so far. Also I now know when to use priest or priests. If I ever figure out commas it will be glorious.

Theotokos123

You could be a married priest if you became an orthodox christian. ;) or byzantine catholic.