An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1585481' date='Jun 28 2008, 05:30 AM']what's the story behind the suffix "of the so-and-so"? seems more religious females have that than males..[/quote]
I think it is a common practice with the Carmelites. There may be others, I don't know.

Roseoftherese

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1585560' date='Jun 28 2008, 10:35 AM']I think it is a common practice with the Carmelites. There may be others, I don't know.[/quote]

Sister Therese of the Infant Jesus! :lol:

Maria Faustina

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1585560' date='Jun 28 2008, 12:35 PM']I think it is a common practice with the Carmelites. There may be others, I don't know.[/quote]

I don't think Dominicans do that- but I'm not entirely sure.

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1585083' date='Jun 27 2008, 05:35 PM']I know that at a lot of communities religious get new names once they become novices. If you could choose a religious name for yourself what would it be? I don't know what mine would be. I've thought of it before and tried to get creative about it but am undecided.[/quote]

I would take Sr. Pauline Therese in a split second. My second choice would be Sr. Martha Therese. My third choice would be Sr. Therese Magnificat.

Blessed the Year of Saint Paul :).

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1585607' date='Jun 28 2008, 12:56 PM']I don't think Dominicans do that- but I'm not entirely sure.[/quote]

They don't. :)

I answered this in the other thread someone made, but I thought of another one that I like more than the others.

Sister Siena Marie or Sister Siena Rose.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1585626' date='Jun 28 2008, 02:28 PM']They don't. :)

I answered this in the other thread someone made, but I thought of another one that I like more than the others.

Sister Siena Marie or Sister Siena Rose.[/quote]

I think it was probably mine. Siena is such a pretty name.

Dominicans, indeed, do take a title with their name. Check out Moniales blog and see some of the names of the Sisters.

Deus te Amat

Thank you Alicemary, I guess Maria Faustina and I are just thinking of the Active Dominican orders we are more familiar with. :)

Caramelonion

My choice would be Sr. Mary Colette, Sr. Mary Margaret or Sr. Mary Helen and to any of those I would add of the Holy Trinity.

the lords sheep

i've definitely answered this before, but why not...
I used to be really set on Sr. Anthony Therese Mariae, but recently I've been very drawn to Sr. Vincent Marie.
The order I've been discerning with doesn't do titles, but if I could pick one, it would be "of the infant Jesus", "of Jesus, the Eternal High Priest", or "of Mary, Mother of Priests." Actually, in the order I've been discerning with, you don't choose your name, either.... but still, there are stories of Sisters "knowing" what their name would be in their heart before they were named by Mother.

[quote name='Johanna' post='1585728' date='Jun 28 2008, 04:58 PM']Sr. Maria Johanna[/quote]
That's what I was going to say! Maria Johanna is my name anyway, and I'm growing in appreciation for it. Mary and John, at the foot of the cross...

[quote name='Maria' post='1585753' date='Jun 28 2008, 11:30 PM']That's what I was going to say! Maria Johanna is my name anyway, and I'm growing in appreciation for it. Mary and John, at the foot of the cross...[/quote]

In my case it'd be rather John Baptist. And nameday would be 29th of August, the feast of the beheading.

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I don't really know. I've thought about John, or Boniface, but in all honesty I haven't given it much thought. I'm more focused on discerning the community before I discern the name! ^_^

edit: oh, and Benedict! How could I have forgotten Benedict! :idontknow:

Edited by NazFarmer