An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

a former phatmasser--abidingsoul, a.k.a. Jaimie, now a postulant with Sr. Rose Therese's Franciscan community, is looking for some religious name help. Looks like she will become a novice in just a few more weeks. Maybe you all could give her some suggestions--she has a blog, I just don't remember it offhand. You could do a search under Franciscan Sisters Peoria and probably come up with it. ^_^

[quote name='stlmom' post='1586222' date='Jun 29 2008, 12:27 PM']a former phatmasser--abidingsoul, a.k.a. Jaimie, now a postulant with Sr. Rose Therese's Franciscan community, is looking for some religious name help. Looks like she will become a novice in just a few more weeks. Maybe you all could give her some suggestions--she has a blog, I just don't remember it offhand. You could do a search under Franciscan Sisters Peoria and probably come up with it. ^_^[/quote]

the blog is http:blog.franciscansisterspeoria.org

VeniteAdoremus

I'll ask PP to post it once the time's right :D

Some girls seem to have their name picked even before they enter! I've thought about a few, but the communities I've been discerning with only let you enter three and they'll pick.

I rather like the idea of letting my parents help choosing the three. They did a great job with my name the first time around, so why not the second?

the lords sheep

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1586235' date='Jun 29 2008, 06:22 PM']I'll ask PP to post it once the time's right :D

Some girls seem to have their name picked even before they enter! I've thought about a few, but the communities I've been discerning with only let you enter three and they'll pick.

I rather like the idea of letting my parents help choosing the three. They did a great job with my name the first time around, so why not the second?[/quote]

I think its something akin to seeing how someone's last name would sound with your first, or saying, if I had a daughter, I'd like to name her .... (and I have those too). Who knows, maybe if, by the grace of God, I ever got to the point of choosing a name, it'd be completely different, but for now the saints I've chosen reflect who I am and who I'm striving to become... they're saints that for some reason or another I can relate to (and I guarantee you that reason is not my sanctity...

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1586237' date='Jun 29 2008, 07:26 PM']I think its something akin to seeing how someone's last name would sound with your first, or saying, if I had a daughter, I'd like to name her .... (and I have those too). Who knows, maybe if, by the grace of God, I ever got to the point of choosing a name, it'd be completely different, but for now the saints I've chosen reflect who I am and who I'm striving to become... they're saints that for some reason or another I can relate to (and I guarantee you that reason is not my sanctity...[/quote]

Those are all sensible points. I think most people would go over the saints they can relate most to, and then choose the one that sounds the best :)

I'd like to drop the use of my last name entirely if it was at all possible. According to legend my four-year-old self was already stating she'd "marry someone with a really nice surname". Mine is only one syllable but still manages to be impossible to pronounce for anyone who isn't Dutch, and an infinite source of jokes for anyone who is.

Laudem Gloriae

As I am still discerning between 2-3 orders, I had these names in mind:

- I love the Poor Clare Colettines and Cleveland monastery I visited twice has a nun who has the name I love, Sr.
Chiara Francesca! I also thought of Sr. Maria Ortolana - after the mother of St. Clare as she was a mother as am
I.

- I love Carmel and thought of St. Teresa Benedicta - as I love her and we both have much in common - just that
I am not a saint! And Sr. Marie Angelique (name of a wonderful nun in her bio "Flame of Joy", Carmel of
Pontoise, France) and who doesn't love the Sr. Teresa of Jesus and Sr. Therese names!

- I love the cloistered Dominicans - Sr. Maria Agnes (from St. Agnes of Montepulciano, cloistered Dominican nun)
and of course the Sr. Mary Dominic, Sr. Mary Rose (of Lima), etc.

To these the titles I have devotions to are: "of the Holy Wounds", "of the Holy Face", "of the Precious Blood", "of the Infant Jesus", "of the Cross", "of Jesus" and saw somewhere "of Our Lady's Tears".

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

One name that I've loved is Sister Mary Anthony of the Infant Jesus. God willing, He will make me His.

johnnydigit

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' post='1586609' date='Jun 29 2008, 04:41 PM'][/quote]

are those boots in your avatar? i wonder if there are any militant-type of sisters, and what good names there would be for them :saint:

the lords sheep

[quote]are those boots in your avatar? i wonder if there are any militant-type of sisters, and what good names there would be for them :saint:[/quote]

I know it's really :offtopic: but...

How about Sr. Joan Marie, for St. Joan of Arc who, following the Lord's command, let the French troops.
Sr. Mary Michael- St. Michael battled Satan
Sr. Clare or Sr. Chiara after St. Clare who faced an attacking army armed only with the Eucharist
Sr. Mary Ignatius- Ignatius was a soldier who left his sword at the altar of Our Lady of Monserrant
Sr. Mary Francis- Francis of Assisi participated in a Crusade
if they were navy: Sr. Maris Stella, for our Lady, Star of the Sea

Title: "of Our Lady, Mother of Mercy"- because no one should fight without mercy
(random fact: our Lady of Mercy is the patroness of the armies of Argentina...)

Ok, now back to regularly scheduled programming (I clearly have too much time on my hands...)

• 5 weeks later...
Thomist-in-Training

I used to glance at this thread and think it was silly, but since St Anthony stepped into my life in a calm yet unmistakable way I'm thinking of something with his name like Sr Mary Anthony. I like "of the Cross" too, very much. I don't think the sisters I'm looking at do titles though, unless they keep them very well hidden... they string together a lot of names instead, I remember a Sr Maria Raphaela Therese, and Maria Eucaristia Pia.

I always wonder how large communities of missionaries choose names... they must have a list of every living Sister so that they don't have doubles, and have a new name for each new Sister (I'm guessing). Can you imagine!?

the lords sheep

[quote]I always wonder how large communities of missionaries choose names... they must have a list of every living Sister so that they don't have doubles, and have a new name for each new Sister (I'm guessing). Can you imagine!?[/quote]

In the Carmelites DCJ it varies by province, I think. There are 2 Sr. Mary Michaels: Sr. Mary Michael of Jesus Crucified in the Central Province and Sr. Mary Michael of the Holy Family in the Northern Province. Maybe other orders do this as well??

VeniteAdoremus

The Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara do seem to have a master list - a girl I know (in Europe) was heavily disappointed that there's already a Sr. Theotokos (in the States), so she couldn't have that name. There are "doubles" in different languages, though, there's a Sr. Stella Maris and a Sr. Sterre der Zee, at the very least.

Maybe the DCJ's see it as different names because their titles are different?

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1612446' date='Jul 30 2008, 04:38 PM']The Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara do seem to have a master list - a girl I know (in Europe) was heavily disappointed that there's already a Sr. Theotokos (in the States), so she couldn't have that name. There are "doubles" in different languages, though, there's a Sr. Stella Maris and a Sr. Sterre der Zee, at the very least.

Maybe the DCJ's see it as different names because their titles are different?[/quote]

Hm, I can understand the disappointment. "Sr. Theotokos" has a je ne sais quoi that "Zr. Moeder Gods" doesn't quite...capture.