An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1617038' date='Aug 4 2008, 07:51 PM']I love the Blue Sisters! Some of them have great names, which become even better when "shortened" as they tend to do. In the states I know a Sr. M. Ark of the Covenant, who the Sisters affectionately call "Ark"...
And ps- while I love Sr. M. Fragrant Rosebud, I much prefer Sr. M. Dial of Achaz, Sr. M. Honeycomb of Sampson, Sr. Mary Humble Spikenard, or Sr. Mary Golden Urn and Candelabra, which would of course be shortened to Sr. Urn :)[/quote]

I'm sorry, Sr. Spikenard, but I'll have to go for Sr. M. New star of hope that hath risen in these latter days above the valley of ruin.

Just call me Sr. Ruin, I guess (very appropriate if you ever saw me handling breakable goods).

It would be problematic to keep my face straight during official functions. But the sisters tease me with "Maria Turris Eburnea", which doesn't sound so funny unless you know it means "Ivory Tower". (For those who don't know, I'm taller than you and look rather pasty compared to all those South American sisters.)

the lords sheep
:lol_pound:
Maybe you should consider Maria Turris Eburnea.... It could work for you... ;)
Ruin and Spikenard.... we'd be quite the pair, eh?
Unfortunately, as much as I adore these Sisters, I feel that I'm called to a different set of blue Sisters :)
Even so, the knowledge that I could have been Sr. Spikenard will always remain with me ;)

Este Corazon

I agree some the names are hysterical....while others make your jaw drop because they are so intense and beautiful...

I am close firends with Sr. Divino Amore-> "Divine Love",crazy right?

I know Sr. Theotokos actually, she is coool
There is a an Our lady of Peace, and of course they call her "Peace" which fits her personality perfectly.

There is a Mother of Light...awesome.

They are allowed to choose 3 but it is up to the Mother Superior...if i joined, i would just leave it in God's hands. But they are just awesome. The nicknames are hysterical though. There is a Sr. Incarnate Word and they just cal her "Word" haha.

Paz,
M

I think it would depend on my ministry. If I were teaching in a boys' high school, I'd lobby for something strong - even intimidating - like Bro. Butch of Divine Retribution or Bro. Spike of Infinite Discipline.

Este Corazon

The Blue Sisters are the Los Servidoras del Senor y la Virgen de Matara or in English, the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara....they were founded in 1988 in Argentina...they kick major spiritual butt (i am a little biased).

There website is [url="http://www.ssvmusa.org/"]http://www.ssvmusa.org/[/url]

They are wonderful....their spirit is so unique and beautiful...depending on where you are from there may be a convent close by and they LOVE visitors.

Let me know if you need more info!

Paz,
M

filiusInFilio

[quote name='Este Corazon' post='1617750' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:25 AM']The Blue Sisters are the Los Servidoras del Senor y la Virgen de Matara or in English, the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara....they were founded in 1988 in Argentina...they kick major spiritual butt (i am a little biased).
There website is [url="http://www.ssvmusa.org/"]http://www.ssvmusa.org/[/url]

They are wonderful....their spirit is so unique and beautiful...depending on where you are from there may be a convent close by and they LOVE visitors.

Let me know if you need more info!
Paz,
M[/quote]

i saw some sisters at the bronx zoo

I don't think I'll ever get a name but the last of my husband, but anything with "...of the Divine Mercy" attached to it would make me quite happy. :saint:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1617769' date='Aug 5 2008, 07:45 AM']I don't think I'll ever get a name but the last of my husband, but anything with "...of the Divine Mercy" attached to it would make me quite happy. :saint:[/quote]

"Mum of the Divine Mercy"? You'd better be working on your disciplining skills :)

VeniteAdoremus

My dad just informed me that his aunt was called Sr. Eulalia.

For real.
(We also have an elderly Sr. Humilia living with the Blue Sisters.)

the lords sheep

[quote name='Luigi' post='1617712' date='Aug 5 2008, 06:02 AM']I think it would depend on my ministry. If I were teaching in a boys' high school, I'd lobby for something strong - even intimidating - like Bro. Butch of Divine Retribution or Bro. Spike of Infinite Discipline.[/quote]

What about Bro. Hulk of the Wrath of God? ;)

This question is a little unfair for men - in most male orders, the newbies are not given new names. I know most Benedictines take names in religion, and the Dominicans add a religious name to one's Christian name, but most of the rest don't.

In the near future, they'll all be Bro. Kent, Bro. Blake, Bro. Clay, and Bro. Kyle.

Sigh....

Praised be Jesus Christ!
When I saw this thread, I laughed a little bit because I think I have used all possibilities of names for my children (then I saw Luigi's post...Luigi you are right! What a sad state of affairs that Catholic parents are not naming their children after Saints!) As for our children...between their first name, their middle name (and some have two) we are quickly moving into the Confirmation season and names are afloating all over the house! Naturally, last year, when our last one was born, the older ones insisted on having a voice in naming her; but it wasn't hard, for we all have a great devotion to the Little Flower. BUT! Now let's talk about those "Blue Sisters!" My goodness...what names! Just when I was feeling proud and a little bit arrogant (I know, a surprise to many of you!)....I saw their website. They put all the Catholic orders to shame. A+++++ for creativity.
TradMom