An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

DevotedtoHim

I just read this again and got newly inspired. Ok. If I go to a Carmelite monastery, I would like: Sister Mary Elizabeth of the Holy Trinity. If I go to a Dominican monastery, I would like: Sister Catherine Marie of the Holy Face. If I become an active Dominican: Sister Catherine Marie of the Infant Jesus!

This has got me thinking!

I think I would choose:

Sr. Anna-Maria
(after Blessed Anne-Marie who was a bridgetine nun and a martyr during the french revolution)
(and of course because of our Lady and her mother)

or

Sr. Josephine Therese
(after Saint Joseph and Saint Therese of Lisieux) I love them both so much and this would also be because of my grandparents Joseph and Therese!

or

Sr. Maria Fidelis
(after the Servant of God Sr. Maria Fidelis Weiß and because it means faithful :rolleyes: )

and as a title I think I would pick:

...of the Lamb of God
or
...of Christ the King and Eternal High Priest
or
...of the Agony of Christ

but the convent I hope to join doesn't pick titles before solemn vows...

VeniteAdoremus

So what do you guys think about

a) keeping your baptismal name (if it's appropriate), or a version with your name in it (as, for example, Anna-Maria would be for me)

b) Male saints for girls, or female saints for guys? So Sr. John Thomas or Br. Marie-Helena?

+JMJ+

Father Ambrose of the Divine Heart of Jesus
OR
Father Augustine of the Purity of Mary

IF I become a Carthusian, I guess put DOM in there. [b]And if I don't get a title with the order that I join, I will take one privately![/b]

servus Mariae

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1585373' date='Jun 27 2008, 10:58 PM']Ave Maria? I have never heard of that being a Baptismal name before! What a beautiful name! If I were to have kids I would definetly name one that![/quote]

Hmmmm.....name one of your childeren Ave Maria!?!? I think that greeting (Hail Mary) should be reserved for the Virgin Queen of Heaven and Earth....our Lady! :)

AVE MARIA GRATIA PLENA, ORA PRO NOBIS!!!

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1633470' date='Aug 21 2008, 03:28 PM']So what do you guys think about

a) keeping your baptismal name (if it's appropriate), or a version with your name in it (as, for example, Anna-Maria would be for me)

b) Male saints for girls, or female saints for guys? So Sr. John Thomas or Br. Marie-Helena?[/quote]

a) I'm unlikely to ever be a nun, as my road to holiness lies down a different path, but if I were, I would like to keep my Baptismal name - Deborah is a good, solid Old Testament name, after all, and there isn't a St Deborah.

Yet. ^_^

I chose Catherine as my Confirmation name when I was received into the church, after St Catherine of Alexandria, patron of lacemakers, librarians and female scholars - it wasn't until years later that I found out that she was also a patroness of the Dominican Order, where I am a Temporary-Promised lay member. So Deborah Catherine of the Good Shepherd (my favourite Psalm), would work for me.

b) Sure, why not - I've never yet had my prayers to St Jude refused because "euw! You're a [i]gurl[/i], euw girl germs euw!" so I can see no reason why he would refuse to pray and support Sister Jude Marie.

Edited by rosamundi

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='rosamundi' post='1633669' date='Aug 21 2008, 09:39 PM']a) I'm unlikely to ever be a nun, as my road to holiness lies down a different path, but if I were, I would like to keep my Baptismal name - Deborah is a good, solid Old Testament name, after all, and there isn't a St Deborah.

Yet. ^_^

I chose Catherine as my Confirmation name when I was received into the church, after St Catherine of Alexandria, patron of lacemakers, librarians and female scholars - it wasn't until years later that I found out that she was also a patroness of the Dominican Order, where I am a Temporary-Promised lay member. So Deborah Catherine of the Good Shepherd (my favourite Psalm), would work for me.[/quote]
It sounds excessively nice.
Does your chapter of lay Dominicans take religious names? (Apparently not - but I heard some do.)

[quote]b) Sure, why not - I've never yet had my prayers to St Jude refused because "euw! You're a [i]gurl[/i], euw girl germs euw!" so I can see no reason why he would refuse to pray and support Sister Jude Marie.[/quote]
:hehehe:

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1633470' date='Aug 21 2008, 09:28 AM']So what do you guys think about

b) Male saints for girls, or female saints for guys? So Sr. John Thomas or Br. Marie-Helena?[/quote]
I'll answer in reverse order.... I think it's fine to take saints of the opposite sex. I think it's been more culturally appropriate (in the west) for women to take men's names (and I think this is both good and bad). My mom told me flat out that she would have a very difficult time if I ever took a man's name. ("Because you're not a boy!" she told me. Well, yes Mom I know.)

Ergo... the community I'm discerning with doesn't take names anymore, although you have the option of adding a middle name. I was not always a fan of the "keeping your baptismal name" communities (or perhaps I just preferred those that did change their names), but clearly things changed. :P

[quote name='SisterAli' post='1620629' date='Aug 7 2008, 07:16 PM']I know earlier I posted some names...but the name I truly desire to have is:.......

Sister Mary Catherine of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus[/quote]

That's so pretty :)

Saint Therese

Okay, I think the top four titles would be:
..of the Most Holy Rosary
... of the Holy Family
... of Jesus Crucified
... of Jesus, King of Mercy

Edited by Saint Therese

Maria Faustina

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1633470' date='Aug 21 2008, 10:28 AM']So what do you guys think about

Ahh Sr. John Thomas- where did you get that from? :) my favorite sister is Sr. John Thomas of the Nashville Dominicans!

I think it's fine to have a male saint's name. I like Sr. Aquinas Augustine....Or Sr. Aquinas Dominic

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1635261' date='Aug 23 2008, 05:54 AM']Ahh Sr. John Thomas- where did you get that from? :) my favorite sister is Sr. John Thomas of the Nashville Dominicans!

I think it's fine to have a male saint's name. I like Sr. Aquinas Augustine....Or Sr. Aquinas Dominic[/quote]

My muddy head, that's where it came from :) but I am completely favourable to becoming a fan of Sr. John Thomas on the spot! (I'll probably never meet her, but still :) )

I like combinations with Sr. Mary <name> or Sr. <name> Mary. Fortunately, that's the rule in my community! (I'm such a lucky girl.)

How about Sr. Maria Dolorosa of the Cross?
I love, love, love the name Sr. Cecilia Rose. The convent I'm entering doesn't have titles but if I could choose one I would most definitely pick "of the Sacred Heart" or "of the Cross."

• 4 weeks later...