An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1585394' date='Jun 28 2008, 12:30 AM']There is a thread on this but ok, I'll bite again.

Sr. Mary Peter of the Passion
For my home parish(Please pray for it, we are down to ONE Mass with visiting priests) and to suffer for souls.

Sr. Mary Margaret of the Sacred Heart
For my devotion to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus

Sr. Mary Bernadette of the Infant Jesus
I love the saint and the Infant Jesus

or any combination of the above.

But that is up to our Lord what he wishes to call me when I become 'engaged' to him :saint:[/quote]

[quote name='Selah' post='1657009' date='Sep 16 2008, 09:36 PM']Wait, I just thought of the perfect one for me...

Sister Bernadette of the Infant Jesus

<3 Perfect! ^_^[/quote]

I love that name too! :saint:

• 1 year later...
:bump:

This is a very cool thread and I cannot believe I've not posted on it before. :)

Since I am discerning with Carmelite monasteries, I will not be able to choose my name, but if I was able to, it would probably be:

Sr. Marie Therese of the Merciful Heart of Jesus

:love: Edited by InHisLove726

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='30 July 2008 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1217387713' post='1612296']
I used to glance at this thread and think it was silly, but since St Anthony stepped into my life in a calm yet unmistakable way I'm thinking of something with his name like Sr Mary Anthony. I like "of the Cross" too, very much. I don't think the sisters I'm looking at do titles though, unless they keep them very well hidden... they string together a lot of names instead, I remember a Sr Maria Raphaela Therese, and Maria Eucaristia Pia.

I always wonder how large communities of missionaries choose names... they must have a list of every living Sister so that they don't have doubles, and have a new name for each new Sister (I'm guessing). Can you imagine!?
[/quote]

Hey TT -- I know it's been awhile since you've posted this one, but I know that they DO take titles after their names. :love: For example, "Sr. Maria Eucharistica Pia of the Divine Mercy" and "Sr. Maria Consolatrice of the Immaculate Conception." ;) I've personally always wanted to have a title after my name. Loveliness!

[quote name='johnnydigit' date='28 June 2008 - 03:30 AM' timestamp='1214645449' post='1585481']
what's the story behind the suffix "of the so-and-so"? seems more religious females have that than males..
[/quote]

This was a question posed awhile back, but I didn't see it answered in the thread, so I'll take a stab at it...
Typically in the past a community would often have just a few names used for everyone where they would all have the name Mary, for example, or saint that was important to the order. So to distinguish between the different sisters, they were also given a title, which often was a saints name, or in honor of Our Lord.

For example, the foundress of the PCPA decided that all of the sisters would take Mary as her name. But it was ok that everyone had the same name because they also had a title to go with it. For example, hers was Mother Marie of St. Clare (Mere Marie de Ste. Claire). Some sisters would have a title of Our Lord though... for example, there was Sr. Mary of the Cross or Sister Mary of the Holy Name. However, the PCPA eventually started to change this for a couple of reasons... one that the sisters could be given a title that honored Our Lord more particularly, and it would not be so cumbersome to address them, because titles in honor of Our Lord and Our Lady can get a little long.

There are still communities that just have the name Mary and a title though. With the PCPA it's relatively uncommon for a sister to have a saints name as her title now. The only one I can think of is Sister Mary Peter of St. John. (The sisters in India and Poland might still do this though, I don't know.) Mother Angelica loves picking sisters titles... they can get kind of long, but some of them are SO beautiful.

I submitted the names Sister Miriam Longinia of Jesus, the Messiah (after St. Longinus)
Sister Miriam Faustina of Jesus the Eternal Priest.

I actually really thought she was going to give me the name Longinia, :lol: she seemed to like it, and she made a face when I said Faustina, although the sisters laughed and were like, You are NEVER going to get that. She picked mine faster than she's picked anyone elses so far. She did change it though... my full name was Sister Maria Faustina of the Pierced Heart of Jesus.

It's awesome how the name always turned out to be a perfect fit. I really only turned in the name Faustina because I didn't think Mother would pick it, as we'd just had a Faustina (the one who went to France). And I had thought months before that the Pierced Heart of Jesus might be my title, but didn't care for it and didn't even mention it to Mother. But then she picked it! I was shocked, but it really was the perfect name.

Your title sort of represents a mission sometimes. Which is why I think its hard to say before you enter what would be good. The titles I submitted and the title I recieved were very different from what I thought I'd want before I entered. It's more than just a strong devotion that you have... it really is... like a Mission. Jesus really does pick it for you.

♥AllForYou♥

Hmm...i never really thought about this. I guess if i was allowed to choose i would maybe have one of these:

Sr. Jacinta Maria (of the Immaculate Conception perhaps)

Sr. Marie Faustina of the Divine Mercy

Sr. Miriam of the Merciful Heart of Jesus

Sr. Caterina Gianna of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Sr. Catherine Marie of the Rosary

:thumbsup:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='zunshynn' date='22 September 2009 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1253546259' post='1970409']
This was a question posed awhile back, but I didn't see it answered in the thread, so I'll take a stab at it...
Typically in the past a community would often have just a few names used for everyone where they would all have the name Mary, for example, or saint that was important to the order. So to distinguish between the different sisters, they were also given a title, which often was a saints name, or in honor of Our Lord.

For example, the foundress of the PCPA decided that all of the sisters would take Mary as her name. But it was ok that everyone had the same name because they also had a title to go with it. For example, hers was Mother Marie of St. Clare (Mere Marie de Ste. Claire). Some sisters would have a title of Our Lord though... for example, there was Sr. Mary of the Cross or Sister Mary of the Holy Name. However, the PCPA eventually started to change this for a couple of reasons... one that the sisters could be given a title that honored Our Lord more particularly, and it would not be so cumbersome to address them, because titles in honor of Our Lord and Our Lady can get a little long.

There are still communities that just have the name Mary and a title though. With the PCPA it's relatively uncommon for a sister to have a saints name as her title now. The only one I can think of is Sister Mary Peter of St. John. (The sisters in India and Poland might still do this though, I don't know.) Mother Angelica loves picking sisters titles... they can get kind of long, but some of them are SO beautiful.

I submitted the names Sister Miriam Longinia of Jesus, the Messiah (after St. Longinus)
Sister Miriam Faustina of Jesus the Eternal Priest.

I actually really thought she was going to give me the name Longinia, :lol: she seemed to like it, and she made a face when I said Faustina, although the sisters laughed and were like, You are NEVER going to get that. She picked mine faster than she's picked anyone elses so far. She did change it though... my full name was Sister Maria Faustina of the Pierced Heart of Jesus.

It's awesome how the name always turned out to be a perfect fit. I really only turned in the name Faustina because I didn't think Mother would pick it, as we'd just had a Faustina (the one who went to France). And I had thought months before that the Pierced Heart of Jesus might be my title, but didn't care for it and didn't even mention it to Mother. But then she picked it! I was shocked, but it really was the perfect name.

Your title sort of represents a mission sometimes. Which is why I think its hard to say before you enter what would be good. The titles I submitted and the title I recieved were very different from what I thought I'd want before I entered. It's more than just a strong devotion that you have... it really is... like a Mission. Jesus really does pick it for you.
[/quote]

Oh zunshynn, your religious name was BEAUTIFUL! I've always liked the title "of the Pierced Heart", though I had sometimes considered this for Mary (prophesy of Simeon) instead. Thanks for the explanation of titles, too. :)

Another sister I met in Argentina also said the same thing about your name being your mission. Her name was Sr. Maria Via Crucis. (Name of Mary + Mystery of Jesus)

If I had to chose my name, I'd pick Sr. Maria Laetitia Crucis of the Sorrowful Mother. :love: :D

Maria Faustina

haha wow this is from awhile back- lol well I've changed my mind now:

Sister Shekinah, O.P. -derived from a Hebrew word that refers to the "dwelling" or "inhabiting" of God's presence. Also a reference to Christ coming in glory. My
favorite :)

Sister Seraphina, O.P. -for the Seraphim

Sister Thomasina, O.P.- For my bro, Saint Thomas Aquinas. I would also pick Sr. Angelia because Thomas was called the "Angelic Doctor".

Shekinah is my number one though :))

This is how it was in my community: We were given our names at the beginning of the novitiate, but the title (called a religious predicate) didn't come until final vows. We were asked to suggest three names, but also told that Mother (our regional superior) might pick one of the three submitted, or something totally different. It was all up to her. We were supposed to turn in our choices during the annual retreat in August, so I thought I had several months to decide. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/idontknow.gif[/img] Then our major superior (from Europe) decided to visit, and during her visit she decided that she wanted to see my choices THE NEXT DAY so that she could choose my name. That caught me by surprise! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img] All my favorites were already taken, and I really couldn't imagine any others. Also, I was so worried that Mother would pick a name I hadn't chosen - some obscure saint or someone I couldn't relate to. Also, my novice mistress was always "testing" me with little mortifications and seemed to be really fixated on suffering 24/7. I thought it would be just like her to insist I get some weird name. I decided to use reverse-reverse-double-reverse psychology, not wanting to run the risk of getting stuck with my 2nd or 3rd choice. The key, I thought, was not to let them know which choice was 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/juggle.gif[/img] Can you guess how I did it, and ended up with my 1st choice? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/think_head.gif[/img]

"My" community doesn't gives new name to the novices...

But I really love these combinations:

Sr. Miriam of the Seven Sorrows of Mary

Sr. Mary Augustine of Jesus, Man of Sorrows/Pain (???)

Sr. Augustine of the Sorrowful Mother

Sr. Dolorosa of the Merciful Heart

:)

[quote name='shortnun' date='22 August 2008 - 12:44 AM' timestamp='1219355045' post='1633800']
I'll answer in reverse order.... I think it's fine to take saints of the opposite sex. I think it's been more culturally appropriate (in the west) for women to take men's names (and I think this is both good and bad). My mom told me flat out that she would have a very difficult time if I ever took a man's name. ("Because you're not a boy!" she told me. Well, yes Mom I know.)

Ergo... the community I'm discerning with doesn't take names anymore, although you have the option of adding a middle name. I was not always a fan of the "keeping your baptismal name" communities (or perhaps I just preferred those that did change their names), but clearly things changed. :P
[/quote]

Here, in Hungary it won't be a problem. In the Hungarian language every name has got a female pair.
Like:

Andrew:
- male: András
- female: Andrea

Mary:
- male: Márió
- female: Mária

And for us, the name Naomi cames from Noah (Noé -> Noémi)

Joseph:
- male: József
- female: Jozefa

Alex:
- male: Sándor (Alexius)
- female: Alexa

etc...

If sy is curious I can write some more... :D

• 3 months later...

Sr. Paula Maria of the Immaculate

I love St. Paul and his writings. His conversion story touched my heart.

I am also devoted to the Blessed Mother as the Immaculate Queen.

:))