An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='01 October 2009 - 11:34 AM' timestamp='1254411280' post='1975570']
Sr. Mary John Paul or Sr. Mary the Great for short.
[/quote]

Sr. Mary the Great = :smokey: :lol:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='28 January 2010 - 07:06 AM' timestamp='1264676776' post='2046328']
Sr. Paula Maria of the Immaculate

I love St. Paul and his writings. His conversion story touched my heart.

I am also devoted to the Blessed Mother as the Immaculate Queen.

:))
[/quote]

Very nice! And if you're in the U.S., I think it's extra-nice since we're under the patronage of the Immaculate Conception. :twothumbsup:

I think I'd still want Sr. Maria Laetitia Crucis of the Sorrowful Mother. :love:

I've considered these options, too, but I keep going back to the above mentioned:

- Sr. M. Laetitia Veritatis (Joy of Truth)

- Sr. M. Amata Veritas

- Sr. M. Amata Laetitia

- Sr. M. Aquinas (I don't really want a saint name, but I suggest this just because I love good old Thom so much! :)) )

I'd want to keep the title "of the Sorrowful Mother" as well, or perhaps even "of the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart" :love: However, I don't believe the community I'm discerning with takes titles. Soo... I guess that'll be a little sacrifice on my part. :cry: ;) (Perhaps as selfish as this might sound, I just wish [i]all [/i]communities took titles.) But then again, I suppose this is why I would have "Crucis" or "Veritatis" as part of the name... sneaky nonchalant "titles"... :evil: :twothumbsup: (Though, if I were just "Sr. M. Laetitia", I'd be thrilled even with that.)

In my former community, I was "Sr. Mary Cause of Our Joy" (but in a different language). Months before the investiture, many of us began praying about our names. I wanted more than anything to have a sorrowful name, something reflecting Mary's sorrow at the Visitation and throughout Christ's Passion since as a Catholic I've always had a devotion to the sorrows of Jesus and Mary; however, whenever I brought this to prayer, I just knew [i]without a doubt[/i] that God wanted me to have a joyful name. I do believe joy is a part of my personal "mission", and well... I do sincerely love it. Throughout my time in the convent, I spent a lot of time contemplating joy. And well, some time later I figured out that joy and sorrow always go hand in hand, but it is the joy of the Cross that we must live and offer -- it was a win-win situation, I'd say. ;) And I suppose I always reflected on the Joy of Mary.. all her moments of great joy were always found within the shadow of the Cross. Like at the Visitation -- one of the "Joyful Mysteries", but also one of her "Seven Sorrows". I find that deeply profound.

P.S. -- I remember one Sister had really wanted to be Sr. Mary of the Man of Sorrows. However, since there was already a Sister that went by the name "Sorrows", she didn't want to be called "Sr. Man". :rolling: Quite understandable, really.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 January 2010 - 08:48 AM' timestamp='1264682899' post='2046351']
Very nice! And if you're in the U.S., I think it's extra-nice since we're under the patronage of the Immaculate Conception. :twothumbsup:

I think I'd still want Sr. Maria Laetitia Crucis of the Sorrowful Mother. :love:

I've considered these options, too, but I keep going back to the above mentioned:

- Sr. M. Amata Veritas

- Sr. M. Amata Laetitia

- Sr. M. Aquinas (I don't really want a saint name, but I suggest this just because I love good old Thom so much! :)) )

I'd want to keep the title "of the Sorrowful Mother" as well, or perhaps even "of the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart" :love: However, I don't believe the community I'm discerning with takes titles. Soo... I guess that'll be a little sacrifice on my part. :cry: ;) (Perhaps as selfish as this might sound, I just wish [i]all [/i]communities took titles.) But then again, I suppose this is why I would have "Crucis" or "Veritatis" as part of the name... sneaky nonchalant "titles"... :evil: :twothumbsup: (Though, if I were just "Sr. M. Laetitia", I'd be thrilled even with that.)

In my former community, I was "Sr. Mary Cause of Our Joy" (but in a different language). Months before the investiture, many of us began praying about our names. I wanted more than anything to have a sorrowful name, something reflecting Mary's sorrow at the Visitation and throughout Christ's Passion since as a Catholic I've always had a devotion to the sorrows of Jesus and Mary; however, whenever I brought this to prayer, I just knew [i]without a doubt[/i] that God wanted me to have a joyful name. I do believe joy is a part of my personal "mission", and well... I do sincerely love it. Throughout my time in the convent, I spent a lot of time contemplating joy. And well, some time later I figured out that joy and sorrow always go hand in hand, but it is the joy of the Cross that we must live and offer -- it was a win-win situation, I'd say. ;) And I suppose I always reflected on the Joy of Mary.. all her moments of great joy were always found within the shadow of the Cross. Like at the Visitation -- one of the "Joyful Mysteries", but also one of her "Seven Sorrows". I find that deeply profound.

P.S. -- I remember one Sister had really wanted to be Sr. Mary of the Man of Sorrows. However, since there was already a Sister that went by the name "Sorrows", she didn't want to be called "Sr. Man". :rolling: Quite understandable, really.
[/quote]

I, too, love the Visitation mystery of Mary to Elizabeth. The Magnificat is my favorite Canticle. So full of humility and love--which describes our Blessed Mother exactly. I've also considered

Sr. Mary Elizabeth of the Visitation

as a backup. Mary embodies all that I desire to be. I love her so. :))

LOL--Sr. Man. I wouldn't want to be called that either. Quite the conundrum.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

laetitia crucis

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 January 2010 - 08:48 AM' timestamp='1264682899' post='2046351']

- Sr. M. Amata Veritas

- Sr. M. Amata Laetitia

[/quote]

Oops! :blush: I meant to say the Presentation as one of the Joyful Mysteries -- with it also being one of her Seven Sorrows. :doh: :hehehe:

I love Mary and the Teresas however I honestly dont think Im worthy of either name. I do know the ending I would like though and that would be (name) of Divine Mercy because without Divine Mercy I dont know where Id be right now.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='28 January 2010 - 09:36 AM' timestamp='1264685769' post='2046365']
I, too, love the Visitation mystery of Mary to Elizabeth. The Magnificat is my favorite Canticle. So full of humility and love--which describes our Blessed Mother exactly. I've also considered

Sr. Mary Elizabeth of the Visitation

as a backup. Mary embodies all that I desire to be. I love her so. :))

LOL--Sr. Man. I wouldn't want to be called that either. Quite the conundrum.
[/quote]

"Sr. Mary Elizabeth of the Visitation" <-- that is AWESOME!!! :woot:

I thought [url="http://campus.udayton.edu/mary//prayers/causa.html"]this[/url] was interesting about Mary Causa Nostrae Laetitiae and the Visitation. :twothumbsup:

"Sr. Man" would be rough to live down. :ohno: :lol: I guess that's why no one has received that name... yet.

I remember a few years ago when I visited the CFRs, I stayed at the postulant house and they were talking about their possible names. One of the professed Sisters said, "How about Sr. Polycarp? Or Sr. Cunegunda???" All of the postulants were horrified. :hehe:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='28 January 2010 - 10:25 AM' timestamp='1264688732' post='2046382']
I love Mary and the Teresas however I honestly dont think Im worthy of either name. I do know the ending I would like though and that would be (name) of Divine Mercy because without Divine Mercy I dont know where Id be right now.
[/quote]

I don't think any of us are worthy of any of the saints' names :topsy: -- but I always look at it as a way of being somewhat bound to that saint and their protection and patronage, you know? (And perhaps even some added graces associated with that saint! Although, I don't think I'd ever want some of the graces St. Gemma Galgini, Padre Pio, or St. Teresa of Avila received... :unsure: )

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 January 2010 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1264689266' post='2046387']

I thought [url="http://campus.udayton.edu/mary//prayers/causa.html"]this[/url] was interesting about Mary Causa Nostrae Laetitiae and the Visitation. :twothumbsup:

"Sr. Man" would be rough to live down. :ohno: :lol: I guess that's why no one has received that name... yet.

I remember a few years ago when I visited the CFRs, I stayed at the postulant house and they were talking about their possible names. One of the professed Sisters said, "How about Sr. Polycarp? Or Sr. Cunegunda???" All of the postulants were horrified. :hehe:
[/quote]

LOL, that sounds like something Sr. Clare would say. :hehehe: I visited there just this January 13-17. :) I can't wait to go back.

I loved the link that you posted about the Cause of Our Joy. I was crying at the end. There's just something about the Visitation that causes such joy in my heart. It's beautiful the words Elizabeth speaks to Mary when she greets her.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='28 January 2010 - 10:41 AM' timestamp='1264689686' post='2046391']
I loved the link that you posted about the Cause of Our Joy. I was crying at the end. There's just something about the Visitation that causes such joy in my heart. It's beautiful the words Elizabeth speaks to Mary when she greets her.
[/quote]

YES!!! :yes:

[quote][b]Causa Nostrae Laetitiae
Cause of Our Joy[/b]

Our Lady is presented as autonomous figure, possibly pregnant as seems to indicate the Visitation scene in the lower half of this illustration. The medallion with Our Lady is flanked by Judith with the head of Holofernes and Esther dancing and playing the tambourine. The captions invite celebration and joy (Esther 10:10 and Nehemiah 12:43).

Separated by a bunch of musical instruments, the scene of the encounter between Mary and Elizabeth illustrates why Mary is cause of our joy. The moment Mary’s greeting sounded in Elizabeth’s ear, the baby leapt in her womb for joy (Luke 1:44). Mary’s role as announcer and cause of joy, the joy of redemption for all, is further visualized in two lateral scenes, one depicting the souls in purgatory, the other a group of Old Testament figures (among them Moses and David) awaiting the Messiah. "Our sadness will be changed into joy," says the lemma, meaning that there is hope for all who believe in the Good News made flesh in Mary, the cause of our joy.[/quote]

This fills me with much joy indeed. :love:

P.S. -- I think that professed CFR Sister was Sr. Clare! :lol:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 January 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1264690880' post='2046397']

P.S. -- I think that professed CFR Sister was Sr. Clare! :lol:
[/quote]

I would so not be surprised. She is a beautiful religious and so full of joy. I would be honored to have her as a Superior. ;)

And to continue the Visitation talk, I found this beautiful picture for my new avatar.

[img]http://www.brigidmarlin.com/Images/JoyfulMysteries/Visitation.jpg[/img]

I think the process becomes easier once you're actually in religious life and you can pray about it before you become a novice/junior professed (whenever the particular community confers the new name...).

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='28 January 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1264691091' post='2046399']
And to continue the Visitation talk, I found this beautiful picture for my new avatar.

[img]http://www.brigidmarlin.com/Images/JoyfulMysteries/Visitation.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Very nice!!!

:twothumbsup:

Love it!

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 January 2010 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1264689266' post='2046387']

[/quote]

In my country the Cunegunda (here: Kinga) is a popular and nice name...