An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Noemi' date='28 January 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1264703107' post='2046509']
In my country the Cunegunda (here: Kinga) is a popular and nice name...
[/quote]

"Kinga" sounds MUCH nicer to me than "Cunegunda". :) I would definitely prefer "Kinga".

Good to know... just in case God wants me to have that name.

brightsadness

I have 2 favorites: Sr. Maria Lubov (which means Love/charity)
or Sr. Maria Domina Pacem (after Our Lady of Peace)

but really, I'm happy to have God Surprise me.

I have been thinking lately of not choosing a name, but leaving the decision to my superior, as it used to be. What a grand opportunity for mortification that would be!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Rising_Suns' date='28 January 2010 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1264730132' post='2046859']
I have been thinking lately of not choosing a name, but leaving the decision to my superior, as it used to be. What a grand opportunity for mortification that would be!
[/quote]

Sr. M. Consolatrice of the Immaculate Conception, FSI didn't suggest any names either. She said she just trusted that her superior would know better than she what name God wanted. :saint:

When it came time for my investiture with my former community, I had perhaps agonized over that thought -- should I suggest names? would it be better to just mortify myself without suggesting any? etc. -- however, I think I came to my own conclusion that, regardless of what I suggested, God would be the one choosing my name. However, I suppose my conclusion was probably influenced by the fact that the superior asked recommended to us that we turn in a name list... :hehe: (even though we didn't have to).

One Sister in the class before me suggested THIRTY names :lol: and she didn't get any of those. (Though she absolutely loves the name she received!)

Edited by laetitia crucis

Laetitia! I promised you a while back I would look for homilies by the friars about Our Lady's title, Cause of Our Joy, and I totally forgot! I can't even remember where it was... but anyway, unfortunately I couldn't find the homilies... BUT EWTN did have a show available on the subject by Fr. Andrew Apostoli. It's excellent! You can it [url="http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/dload1.asp?audiofile=iq_1046.mp3&source=frmselectseries.asp&seriesID=&T1=our%20lady%20cause%20of%20our%20joy"]here[/url]

laetitia crucis

[quote name='zunshynn' date='28 January 2010 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1264735709' post='2046937']
Laetitia! I promised you a while back I would look for homilies by the friars about Our Lady's title, Cause of Our Joy, and I totally forgot! I can't even remember where it was... but anyway, unfortunately I couldn't find the homilies... BUT EWTN did have a show available on the subject by Fr. Andrew Apostoli. It's excellent! You can it [url="http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/dload1.asp?audiofile=iq_1046.mp3&source=frmselectseries.asp&seriesID=&T1=our%20lady%20cause%20of%20our%20joy"]here[/url]
[/quote]

Ahhhhh! YAAAAAAAY!!! :yahoo: Thank you SO much, zunshynn!!!

This is the cherry on top for such a fantaaabulous feast day!!

princessgianna

Sr. Mary Micheal

I know a sister by this name. She is most animated, sarcastic , "good thing I am a sister or I would so be saying what I think of your liberal agenda" person. But she is very dedicated to God.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 January 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1264689266' post='2046387']
One of the professed Sisters said, "How about Sr. Polycarp? Or Sr. Cunegunda???" All of the postulants were horrified. :hehe:
[/quote]

ha! my friend told me i was going to be sister mary cunegunda. which i think is *terrible* but he said it was perfect because she is the niece of elizabeth of hungary and my name is elizabeth. headdesk. i had never even heard of cunegunda until he brought it up.

oh and i think sr. something eucharistica would be gorgeous :)

Edited by loveletslive

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 January 2010 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1264730668' post='2046868']
Sr. M. Consolatrice of the Immaculate Conception, FSI didn't suggest any names either. She said she just trusted that her superior would know better than she what name God wanted. :saint:[/quote]

It is interesting you mention that, because I had always thought; surely Sr. Consolatrice must have spent long hours thinking of that name.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 January 2010 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1264689537' post='2046390']
I don't think any of us are worthy of any of the saints' names :topsy: -- but I always look at it as a way of being somewhat bound to that saint and their protection and patronage, you know? (And perhaps even some added graces associated with that saint! Although, I don't think I'd ever want some of the graces St. Gemma Galgini, Padre Pio, or St. Teresa of Avila received... :unsure: )
[/quote]

Right, I know what you mean about being bound to them and under their protection and patronage and think it is incredibly beautiful. Thats why I agree with what rising suns said about letting my possible future superior pick because it would be the saints speaking to and through that person. Id probably cry if Mary and the Teresas let me have either or both of those names.

Hmmm Mary and the Teresas sounds a lot like one of those 1960s female groups like Diana Ross and The Supremes which makes me wonder if they do daily cocktail hour performances up in heaven.:blink::D