An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

[quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:47 AM' timestamp='1264744042' post='2047109']
Sr. Mary Micheal

I know a sister by this name. She is most animated, sarcastic , "good thing I am a sister or I would so be saying what I think of your liberal agenda" person. But she is very dedicated to God.
[/quote]

Sounds like Mother Angelica except being a nun didnt stop her at all lol.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 January 2010 - 08:48 AM' timestamp='1264682899' post='2046351']

In my former community, I was "Sr. Mary Cause of Our Joy" (but in a different language). Months before the investiture, many of us began praying about our names. I wanted more than anything to have a sorrowful name, something reflecting Mary's sorrow at the Visitation and throughout Christ's Passion since as a Catholic I've always had a devotion to the sorrows of Jesus and Mary; however, whenever I brought this to prayer, I just knew [i]without a doubt[/i] that God wanted me to have a joyful name. I do believe joy is a part of my personal "mission", and well... I do sincerely love it. Throughout my time in the convent, I spent a lot of time contemplating joy. And well, some time later I figured out that joy and sorrow always go hand in hand, but it is the joy of the Cross that we must live and offer -- it was a win-win situation, I'd say. ;) And I suppose I always reflected on the Joy of Mary.. all her moments of great joy were always found within the shadow of the Cross. Like at the Visitation -- one of the "Joyful Mysteries", but also one of her "Seven Sorrows". I find that deeply profound.
[/quote]

No way!

I was just about to post that I'd loooooove whatever that Latin of Mary, Cause of Our Joy!!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='29 January 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1264815688' post='2047555']
No way!

I was just about to post that I'd loooooove whatever that Latin of Mary, Cause of Our Joy!!
[/quote]

Maria, Causa Nostrae Laetitiae -- ora pro nobis! :love:

• 3 weeks later...
brandelynmarie

I would still like Sr. Mary Magdalene of the Merciful Heart or Merciful Hearts :saint:

I read once of a dear nun (in a very large congregation) who was named Sr. Mary Circumcision & they called her Sr. Circky for short :blink: (Maybe it was a penance?)

JMJ
I know of a Sr.Mary Pia of the Sacred Cross, and I know a Sr.Grace of the Merciful Face of Jesus Christ Crucified. I kind of like Sr.Maria Regina Anima meum, which is Sr.Mary Queen of My Soul, but I got the ending on Anima wrong. What is the proper ending for that?

Edited by Tridenteen

laetitia crucis

[quote name='brandelynmarie' date='17 February 2010 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1266446719' post='2058517']
I would still like Sr. Mary Magdalene of the Merciful Heart or Merciful Hearts :saint:

I read once of a dear nun (in a very large congregation) who was named Sr. Mary Circumcision & they called her Sr. Circky for short :blink: (Maybe it was a penance?)
[/quote]

Oh my goodness.. :shock: I think she must have a special place in heaven reserved just for her. :sweat:

I would at least have hoped that it was in Latin or some other language where one would have no idea what it meant... :blink:

God bless that Sister.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='17 February 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1266449912' post='2058530']
JMJ
I know of a Sr.Mary Pia of the Sacred Cross, and I know a Sr.Grace of the Merciful Face of Jesus Christ Crucified. I kind of like Sr.Maria Regina Anima meum, which is Sr.Mary Queen of My Soul, but I got the ending on Anima wrong. What is the proper ending for that?
[/quote]

Animus meus?

:unsure:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' date='17 February 2010 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1266446719' post='2058517']

[/quote]

:lol_above: Thats too bad but so funny!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='17 February 2010 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1266449912' post='2058530']
JMJ
[/quote]

Anima Mea :)

laetitia crucis

So, I've been pondering this religious name thing lately, and I think I'm down to these three (in preferred order):

1. Sr. Amata Veritas Mariae
2. Sr. M. Amata Veritatis
3. Sr. M. Amata Veritas

Please notice the genitives in #1 and #2. :evil:

[i]Nonchalant [/i]ways of adding a title in, doncha think? :ninja:

I guess it's a good thing I can suggest three names and "Mary" is a required part of the name given...

:whistle:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='01 March 2010 - 12:35 PM' timestamp='1267464914' post='2064787']
So, I've been pondering this religious name thing lately, and I think I'm down to these three (in preferred order):

1. Sr. Amata Veritas Mariae
2. Sr. M. Amata Veritatis
3. Sr. M. Amata Veritas

Please notice the genitives in #1 and #2. :evil:

[i]Nonchalant [/i]ways of adding a title in, doncha think? :ninja:

I guess it's a good thing I can suggest three names and "Mary" is a required part of the name given...

[/quote]

I would have always expected that you would want:

Sr. M. Laetitia Crucis

But Amata Veritas is beautiful! (Love and Truth). Very Dominican. ;)

Does a religious choose her name? I thought it was given to her by the superiors.
But I'm really ignorant on the subject!!

truthfinder

[quote name='organwerke' date='01 March 2010 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1267480029' post='2064937']
Does a religious choose her name? I thought it was given to her by the superiors.
But I'm really ignorant on the subject!!
[/quote]

It really just depends on the community! Some will and others won't take suggestions.