An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

OnlySunshine

[quote name='the lords sheep' timestamp='1218065498' post='1619650']
The religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, for example, receive their name from the Mother Superior. She also gives each Sister a "mystery" for her name, or a reason why that name was chosen for her. So Sr. Michaela, who is a theologian by training, received her name because she is to be a defender of the faith. Another Sister received the name of a martyr, and was told one of her mysteries was to contemplate death. Another Sister's name means "servant of Mary" and her mystery is humility and service to/love of the Blessed Mother. Many of the Sisters have told me that the names have grown on them as they have meditated on the mystery of their own name. They all say it seems to be a special way of the Holy Spirit speaking to their hearts.
The Servidoras, on the other hand, I think can submit some names, but because there are so many Sisters with similar names, they often receive their name from Mother as well (or at least that's how I understood it).

That said, each community is different. For some communities, like the Salesian Sisters, it is part of their charism to keep their baptismal name.

Hope that helps!
In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren
[/quote]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1264685769' post='2046365']
I, too, love the Visitation mystery of Mary to Elizabeth. The Magnificat is my favorite Canticle. So full of humility and love--which describes our Blessed Mother exactly. I've also considered

Sr. Mary Elizabeth of the Visitation

as a backup. Mary embodies all that I desire to be. I love her so.

LOL--Sr. Man. I wouldn't want to be called that either. Quite the conundrum.
[/quote]

Well, after reading about the way the RSMs choose names, it'll be interesting to see what is chosen for me should I enter there (God-willing). I honestly will not be surprised if I get Sr. Mary Elizabeth because that is my favorite name above all the rest. I wonder if you are allowed to submit any names at all? If so, I'd submit these:

Sr. Mary Elizabeth
Sr. Mary Rose
Sr. Margaret Mary
Sr. Mary Faustina (or Faustina Marie)

I really wonder if I'd get Sr. Mary Elizabeth because I truly feel a special connection with that name. I love St. Elizabeth of the Visitation and St. Elizabeth of Hungary. :love:

LaPetiteSoeur

I don't think I've posted on this thread!

My top three:

Sr. Marie-Catherine Laboure
Sr. Marie Laboure
um...

Sr. Maire Francoise

Mother Sophia. I like how it's a saint and a virtue. Means wisdom though, so not looking likely... Good thing this is only daydreaming :)

brandelynmarie

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1277176438' post='2132583']
The first DSMME I met in person (the Sister that picked me up at the bus station for a "Come and See", actually :lol: ) was/is named Sr. Ave Maria. I always thought that was really beautiful. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I was friends with her at FUS waaaaay back in the day. I was wondering what happened to her & went all Scooby on-line & found out she was named Sr. Ave Maria. :) Small, small world!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317709429' post='2315032']

I was friends with her at FUS waaaaay back in the day. I was wondering what happened to her & went all Scooby on-line & found out she was named Sr. Ave Maria. :) Small, small world!
[/quote]

What would you choose brandelyn? I haven't seen your post. :blowkiss:

brandelynmarie
:) :flowers:

Ummmm.... Sr. Mary Magdalene, Sr. Maria Magdalena, Sr. Mary Trinity, Sr. Therese Marie, Sr. Maria Amata :think:

Titles? of the Maria Bambina, of the Merciful Hearts, of The Divine Mercy

Not all at once, of course! :hehe: Edited by brandelynmarie

OnlySunshine

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317709877' post='2315035']
:) :flowers:

Ummmm.... Sr. Mary Magdalene, Sr. Maria Magdalena, Sr. Mary Trinity, Sr. Therese Marie, Sr. Maria Amata :think:

Titles? of the Maria Bambina, of the Merciful Hearts, of The Divine Mercy

Not all at once, of course! :hehe:
[/quote]

rotfl

OnlySunshine

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317712024' post='2315043']
:hehe2: I soooooo need to go to bed!
[/quote]

Me too! I'm getting giddy, but I'm also waiting for my iPod to finish updating the software. I imported some songs from my CD on to it and the software was an old version. :hehe2: