An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='18 June 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1276918316' post='2131208']
This is another I would add to my list:

Sr. Mary Martin de Porres

St. Martin is awesome! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif[/img]
[/quote]

The abbess(?) of the Summit Dominicans is Sister Mary Martin, and when I heard the name, I wondered if she got teased for having the name of a famous actress.

It's interesting, another of the Summit Dominicans has my first name as her religious name (followed by Marie). In fact, although I know my parents didn't intend it, all three of my names--first, middle, last are the names of saints--two very obscure, one very famous (at least in certain parts of the world).

On the Summit Dominicans, I have a cute story. I bought a few soaps from them, and liked them so much that I immediately bought more, especially the ones on sale right now. In both packages they included the community newsletter and a postcard with the names of all the members of the community. But, I chuckled, because in the second package, they also included their vocations brochure. I wondered how they'd react if I said I would need to bring my cats! LOL

Seriously, I might actually choose St. Mary Scholastica or St. Mary Dymphna as a name, or the superior might give me the name Sister Mary Jude, because I am such a hopeless case. I could also see myself being Sister Mary Thomas, because I would always be asking questions, or Sister Mary Jerome, since he is the patron saint of librarians. I don't know what I would have as the second part of my name, because they all sound so much more holy than I am. I've never heard one that fit me. I guess some Sisters don't have a second part to their name, which might be what I'd have to do, since "of the Late Rising" isn't exactly very religious, however descriptive.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='18 June 2010 - 11:49 PM' timestamp='1276919341' post='2131216']
The abbess(?) of the Summit Dominicans is Sister Mary Martin, and when I heard the name, I wondered if she got teased for having the name of a famous actress.

It's interesting, another of the Summit Dominicans has my first name as her religious name (followed by Marie). In fact, although I know my parents didn't intend it, all three of my names--first, middle, last are the names of saints--two very obscure, one very famous (at least in certain parts of the world).

On the Summit Dominicans, I have a cute story. I bought a few soaps from them, and liked them so much that I immediately bought more, especially the ones on sale right now. In both packages they included the community newsletter and a postcard with the names of all the members of the community. But, I chuckled, because in the second package, they also included their vocations brochure. I wondered how they'd react if I said I would need to bring my cats! LOL

Seriously, I might actually choose St. Mary Scholastica or St. Mary Dymphna as a name, or the superior might give me the name Sister Mary Jude, because I am such a hopeless case. I could also see myself being Sister Mary Thomas, because I would always be asking questions, or Sister Mary Jerome, since he is the patron saint of librarians. I don't know what I would have as the second part of my name, because they all sound so much more holy than I am. I've never heard one that fit me. I guess some Sisters don't have a second part to their name, which might be what I'd have to do, since "of the Late Rising" isn't exactly very religious, however descriptive.
[/quote]

You could be Sr. Mary _____ of the Parousia or "of the Second Coming". Waking up late, one could say, "Well, I am "of the Second Coming" -- of which no one knows when or where Jesus is really coming again, so no one really knows when I'll be waking or where I'll show up when I do wake." :sweat:

(That wasn't [i]too[/i] much of a stretch, was it? :lol: )

:think: That title could really be fun to have... especially when it comes to playing little pranks...

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 June 2010 - 09:01 AM' timestamp='1276956069' post='2131401']
You could be Sr. Mary _____ of the Parousia
[/quote]

:woot: That name is awesome!!!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='18 June 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1276918316' post='2131208']
This is another I would add to my list:

Sr. Mary Martin de Porres

St. Martin is awesome! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

:clapping:

What is it about St. Martin de Porres that makes me desire this name? (Besides the fact that he really is so awesome! :saint: )

Personally, I almost feel ashamed to say this (as a future Dominican), but the only saint (Dominican or otherwise) that I'd ever want to be named after is Thomas Aquinas, though I'd only want the "Aquinas" bit to differentiate between the several other Saints named "Thomas". :hehehe:

(However, this notion technically goes against my previous rule stating "I wish never to be named after a LOCATION." :sweat: For example, in my former community, several Sisters received names of Mary that followed the pattern of "Mary" + "Place Where Mary Appeared" and would be called Sr. "Place Where Mary Appeared". This is why several American Sisters from the West coast would fear being named "Sr. Mary of the Rockies." :mellow: )

Anyhoo... lately I've been rather finicky about the whole name thing. :paperbag: Yet, now that things are more "real"... I'm somewhat at a loss for names... (Besides the above stated in this post. :lol: ) In my former community, I pretty much had a great distaste for my name (though I absolutely loved the intended meaning of it). It was very difficult to pronounce and people always looked like this: :blink: when I introduced myself. :weep: If calling for donations, I would go by a shortened English version of my name. That seemed to work the best. :blush:

To say the least, I think I'm still "afraid" of having a name like that. Although, the Dominicans seem much more practical when it comes to names... I definitely don't think they'd be giving really-difficult-to-pronounce-and-understand names. (I mean, check out this list from the DSMMEs: [url="http://www.sistersofmary.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109&Itemid=134"]Meet the Sisters[/url]!) Most of the Sisters have English or Latin names. (I'm thrilled about that!)

Soooo... I'm open to name suggestions to pray about if people want to suggest -- even various Saints' (Dominican and non-Dominican) names! :smokey: (Please include reasons, too, if you are so inclined. Haha!)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='19 June 2010 - 10:38 AM' timestamp='1276958303' post='2131412']
:woot: That name is awesome!!!
[/quote]

From a Sister I know with that name, it also has a meaning of "Presence" (as in the True Presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament). I thought that was extra AWESOME. :smokey:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 June 2010 - 10:46 AM' timestamp='1276958806' post='2131413']
:clapping:

What is it about St. Martin de Porres that makes me desire this name? (Besides the fact that he really is so awesome! :saint: )[/quote]

I saw a statue of him at a Church that I frequently go to for confession during the week when I have a day off. After Mass, I asked for his patronage. :love:

[quote]To say the least, I think I'm still "afraid" of having a name like that. Although, the Dominicans seem much more practical when it comes to names... I definitely don't think they'd be giving really-difficult-to-pronounce-and-understand names. (I mean, check out this list from the DSMMEs: [url="http://www.sistersofmary.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109&Itemid=134"]Meet the Sisters[/url]!) Most of the Sisters have English or Latin names. (I'm thrilled about that!)
[/quote]

I could never be named Sr. Hyacinth because I would always be thinking about one of my favorite shows called [i]Keeping Up Appearances[/i]. I'd probably burst into laughter after thinking about one of the random things she said on that show.

[img]http://toryardvaark.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/violedtbucket.jpg[/img]

DiscerningSoul

For halloween I dressed up as a sister, and called myself "Sister Horsefly" my belt was some baling twine. It was for a horse rescue fundrasier to boot.

[url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=30314909&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=747866727&id=1174851176&ref=pf"]Halloween pic[/url]

Edited by DiscerningSoul

IgnatiusofLoyola

It is interesting to me that I seem to see certain religious names very frequently, and others, rarely if ever. While I've been roaming the Internet for other purposes, I've found that there are at least 250 saints for which medals are readily available. In fact, I was surprised to find that a great many names (including mine, which I thought was pagan in origin--which it is--is also the name of at least one saint, possibly two.) But, as I understand it, there are thousands of saints--it's just that you might have more trouble finding a medal with the name of that saint.

Here are some names that that I have never heard used as a religious name. (The list includes both both male and female saints, so maybe some of the men's names are more common in male religious communities.) So that I didn't have to type "Saint" in front of each name, please just assume the title is there. (BTW--My list tries to include only saints recognized by the Roman Catholic Church--please forgive me if I get some wrong.) I've also included a few "regular" names that I didn't know were also saints' names.

Avitas
Bathildes
Benezet
Bertha
Bertille (no, not Sister Bertrile (sp?) of Flying Nun fame. I don't know if her name was a real saint or not.)
Bibiana
Clotilda
Cloud
Delphinias
Eligius
Emiliana
Etheldreda
Euphrasia
Fiaker
Frumentius
Gal
Goar
Hedwigge
Hilarian
Hospitus (who was apparently a recluse)
Jane
Leocadia
Mammertus
Maud
Mello
Narcissus
Odo
Omer
Placid
Radegundes
Seraphia (I kind of like that one.)
Simplicius
Soter
Symphorian
Thecla
Thrasilla
Venerable Bede (One of my favorite saint's names.)
Vitalis
Wulfran
Yvo

This is a very short list of names that caught my eye. But, it seems, in picking out a religious name, if you want one that is unusual, the possibilities seem almost endless. You could spend your whole postulant year just figuring out the "right" saint's name for you (although others might feel you could use your time more wisely). [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

P.S. Perhaps it's just me, but many of these names sound like diseases (and one like a men's hair product).

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='19 June 2010 - 03:30 PM' timestamp='1276975815' post='2131544']
I saw a statue of him at a Church that I frequently go to for confession during the week when I have a day off. After Mass, I asked for his patronage. :love:

I could never be named Sr. Hyacinth because I would always be thinking about one of my favorite shows called [i]Keeping Up Appearances[/i]. I'd probably burst into laughter after thinking about one of the random things she said on that show.

[/quote]

Very cool about St. Martin! :clapping:

Also, I think the SAME thing about the name "Hyacinth"! :lol: "The boo-kaaaay residence -- Lady of the Hooouse speaking!" Oy, the Buckets... So funny!

One of the Sisters in my community actually has the name "Hyacinth"; however, she's french, so it's pronounced "Ya-sant". That helps me with the disassociation. :sweat:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='19 June 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1276983296' post='2131576']
It is interesting to me that I seem to see certain religious names very frequently, and others, rarely if ever. While I've been roaming the Internet for other purposes, I've found that there are at least 250 saints for which medals are readily available. In fact, I was surprised to find that a great many names (including mine, which I thought was pagan in origin--which it is--is also the name of at least one saint, possibly two.) But, as I understand it, there are thousands of saints--it's just that you might have more trouble finding a medal with the name of that saint.

Here are some names that that I have never heard used as a religious name. (The list includes both both male and female saints, so maybe some of the men's names are more common in male religious communities.) So that I didn't have to type "Saint" in front of each name, please just assume the title is there. (BTW--My list tries to include only saints recognized by the Roman Catholic Church--please forgive me if I get some wrong.) I've also included a few "regular" names that I didn't know were also saints' names.

Avitas
Bathildes
Benezet
Bertha
Bertille (no, not Sister Bertrile (sp?) of Flying Nun fame. I don't know if her name was a real saint or not.)
Bibiana
Clotilda
Cloud
Delphinias
Eligius
Emiliana
Etheldreda
Euphrasia
Fiaker
Frumentius
Gal
Goar
Hedwigge
Hilarian
Hospitus (who was apparently a recluse)
Jane
Leocadia
Mammertus
Maud
Mello
Narcissus
Odo
Omer
Placid
Radegundes
Seraphia (I kind of like that one.)
Simplicius
Soter
Symphorian
Thecla
Thrasilla
Venerable Bede (One of my favorite saint's names.)
Vitalis
Wulfran
Yvo

This is a very short list of names that caught my eye. But, it seems, in picking out a religious name, if you want one that is unusual, the possibilities seem almost endless. You could spend your whole postulant year just figuring out the "right" saint's name for you (although others might feel you could use your time more wisely). [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

P.S. Perhaps it's just me, but many of these names sound like diseases (and one like a men's hair product).
[/quote]

Wow! I've never heard of a majority of those!

The name "Mello" amuses me quite a bit. ("They call me [Sr.] Mellow Yelloooow...") And several of them sound like the names of aliens from Star Trek. :nerd:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='19 June 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1276975815' post='2131544']

[/quote]

and here's me thinking hmm Hyacinth sounds kinda cool but I've never heard of the show you mentioned.

I'd kinda like a French name but NOT Therese <_<

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 June 2010 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1276958996' post='2131414']
From a Sister I know with that name, it also has a meaning of "Presence" (as in the True Presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament). I thought that was extra AWESOME. :smokey:
[/quote]

That is extra awesome! An epic win name wise. :yes:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='19 June 2010 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1276986374' post='2131590']
and here's me thinking hmm Hyacinth sounds kinda cool but I've never heard of the show you mentioned.

I'd kinda like a French name but NOT Therese <_<
[/quote]

Oh man, if you get the name "Therese"... I don't know if I'd laugh or cry for you. :console:

It's been only very recently that I figured out "Jacinta" is equivalent to "Hyacinth"... it was a total "facepalm" moment for me. The whole progression went from "Hyacinth" to "Ya-sant", then "Jacinta" to the Spanish pronunciation "Ha-cinta", then somehow I connected "Ya-sant" and "Ha-cinta".

:doh: Hahahahaha!

P.S. -- "Keeping Up Appearances" :rolling:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-YG2gZYR8[/media]

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 June 2010 - 05:41 PM' timestamp='1276987277' post='2131592']
Oh man, if you get the name "Therese"... I don't know if I'd laugh or cry for you. :console:

It's been only very recently that I figured out "Jacinta" is equivalent to "Hyacinth"... it was a total "facepalm" moment for me. The whole progression went from "Hyacinth" to "Ya-sant", then "Jacinta" to the Spanish pronunciation "Ha-cinta", then somehow I connected "Ya-sant" and "Ha-cinta".

:doh: Hahahahaha!

P.S. -- "Keeping Up Appearances" :rolling:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-YG2gZYR8[/media]
[/quote]
" I think about knitting patterns."
" I think about strangling her". :lol:

Hyacinth = Jacinta :o. It's so obvious but I never made the connection til you wrote that!

I'm not worried about getting Therese as a name because I'll just enter somewhere that already has a Therese and problem solved. :)) Or so I would assume since they wouldn't
want to have two would they :mellow:

I actually had a Sr. M. Leocadia teach me in elementary school She was a math-terror.

And I knew OF a Sr. M. Thecla but never actually was in her class.

Thecla is actually a name I like a lot. In the Orthodox church she is called the first martyr and 'equal to the apostles' - she hear Paul preach and followed him around, also preaching. You can google her.

Edited by DameAgnes