An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Choose A Religious Name For Yourself

tinytherese

Hmm, this is such a toughy because there are a few I'd love to have :-) In no particular order...

Sister Mary Cecilia of Divine Praises (for Bl. Cecilia, O.P.)
Sister Mary Veronica of Divine Love or Compassion
Sister Mary Frassati (of I'm not sure) lol any thoughts????

Sister Mary Veronica is probably my favorite...

VeniteAdoremus

I know a very cool Sr. Veronica, so I'm automatically partial to Sr. Mary Veronica :)

For any aspiring Blue Sisters: check [url="http://campus.udayton.edu/mary//resources/titles/Symbolical.html"]this page[/url] out. I'm afraid I find some of them quite hilarious. Although Sr. Fragrant Rosebud does have a certain ring to it...

If I go blue I'd like:
Sr. M. Aurora Lucis (because she brought forth the Light)
Sr. M. Troosteres der Bedroefden (Comfort of the Sorrowful)
Sr. M. Iuxta Crucem (a good life philosophy!)

If I go Dominican... well, the jury's still out.

Mari Therese

If I could pick a name it would have to be Sr. Marie Therese, my grandmother was a nun for a few years and her name was Sr. Therese (my favorite saint), and I love momma Mary so I would be honored to have her name.

johnnydigit

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1612296' date='Jul 29 2008, 09:15 PM']I used to glance at this thread and think it was silly, but since St Anthony stepped into my life in a calm yet unmistakable way I'm thinking of something with his name like Sr Mary Anthony. I like "of the Cross" too, very much. I don't think the sisters I'm looking at do titles though, unless they keep them very well hidden... they string together a lot of names instead, I remember a Sr Maria Raphaela Therese, and Maria Eucaristia Pia.

I always wonder how large communities of missionaries choose names... they must have a list of every living Sister so that they don't have doubles, and have a new name for each new Sister (I'm guessing). Can you imagine!?[/quote]

hm thanks for reminding me! St. Anthony has been very active in my life this past year, some of which he's followed me all around the world and even to Italy, after which i decided to enter religious life. so then i must add

Br./Fr. Anthony Mary, Franciscan Friar of the ...
Br./Fr. Simon Mary, Franciscan Friar of the ...
Br./Fr. John Mary, Franciscan Friar of the ...

i want them all. is there a limit to the number of names we can have?

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1613311' date='Jul 30 2008, 07:44 PM']If I go blue I'd like:

If I go Dominican... well, the jury's still out.[/quote]
Thought provoking, very. I like them.

As for me, God knew all along that if/when I enter "my" community I'll have the wonderful name my parents chose for me on the day of my birth!

RosaMystica

There are so many times I like:

Sr. Cecilia Rose (for St. Cecilia and St. Rose of Lima) <the first name I ever thought of!
Sr. Maryam (the Aramaic way of saying Mary)
Sr. Maris Stella (I always thought this title of Our Lady was so beautiful)
Sr. Maria Concepta (for the Immaculate Conception)
Sr. Martha Maryam
Sr. Sacred Heart
Sr. Mary Magdalen or Maryam Magdalena

But, I would really love to keep my name and be Sr. Amanda Maryam. :)

Saint Therese

Sr. Mary Jerome of Mary, Refuge of Sinners
Saint Jerome was a great scholar and he really struggled with his passions. Whenever he became angry he hit himself with a rock. i think the title is self-evident.

Edited by Saint Therese

johnnydigit

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1616200' date='Aug 2 2008, 07:48 PM']Sr. Mary Jerome of Mary, Refuge of Sinners
Saint Jerome was a great scholar and he really struggled with his passions. Whenever he became angry he hit himself with a rock. i think the title is self-evident.[/quote]

that is hilarious! and i thought jumping into a thorn bush naked was cool. i will learn more about him..

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1616324' date='Aug 3 2008, 12:04 AM']that is hilarious! and i thought jumping into a thorn bush naked was cool. i will learn more about him..[/quote]

...the way I heard it was that St. Benedict jumped into a [i]nettle [/i]bush to control his passions! Ever been stung by a nettle? It's where the word 'nettlesome' comes from. Apparently St. B was never bothered by his passions again!

Benedictine orders used to celebrate this event by making nettle soup--I pity whoever had to pick the nettles. I think that this episode is described in Rumer Godden's "In This House of Brede".

FutureScholastica

I would love to be called Sr Petra of the Divine Mercy, but as the order I'm joining doesn't use the "of the...", I'll have to settle for Sr Petra.
Fortunately we have the option of suggesting what we want our new name to be, but the final decision is up to the prioress. And as an added bonus, we're all called Benedicta as well, though this is only used in very few and official situations.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='FutureScholastica' post='1616903' date='Aug 4 2008, 05:23 PM']I would love to be called Sr Petra of the Divine Mercy, but as the order I'm joining doesn't use the "of the...", I'll have to settle for Sr Petra.
Fortunately we have the option of suggesting what we want our new name to be, but the final decision is up to the prioress. And as an added bonus, we're all called Benedicta as well, though this is only used in very few and official situations.[/quote]

HEY! Good to see you again, Scholastica :) How have you been doing?

the lords sheep

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1613311' date='Jul 31 2008, 01:44 AM']I know a very cool Sr. Veronica, so I'm automatically partial to Sr. Mary Veronica :)

For any aspiring Blue Sisters: check [url="http://campus.udayton.edu/mary//resources/titles/Symbolical.html"]this page[/url] out. I'm afraid I find some of them quite hilarious. Although Sr. Fragrant Rosebud does have a certain ring to it...

If I go blue I'd like:

If I go Dominican... well, the jury's still out.[/quote]

I love the Blue Sisters! Some of them have great names, which become even better when "shortened" as they tend to do. In the states I know a Sr. M. Ark of the Covenant, who the Sisters affectionately call "Ark"...
And ps- while I love Sr. M. Fragrant Rosebud, I much prefer Sr. M. Dial of Achaz, Sr. M. Honeycomb of Sampson, Sr. Mary Humble Spikenard, or Sr. Mary Golden Urn and Candelabra, which would of course be shortened to Sr. Urn :)