An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Adorers Of The Royal Heart Of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest

Laudem Gloriae

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='oiboyz' timestamp='1337209657' post='2431435']
I entered this order in Oct 2010 and discerned after six weeks that it wasn't my vocation after all, so I'm back in America now. But it is a beautiful order and I loved all the sisters!

I will now say a prayer for all those of you who are discerning. :)
[/quote]

Welcome Oiboyz!

Question: Are you by any chance the former author of the blog "Infused Knowledge?"

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Hi, Nikita 92,

Glad to have you among us!

I believe that what was said above is accurate - your son needs to be adult and able to fend for himself (emotionally as well as financially and regarding living arrangements) before you would be free to follow a vocation. But, IF God is calling you, way will open; the situation will happen.

Having said that, it's probably not too early for you to start contacting communities. You would tell them that your son is in high school, and that you are exploring options for when you are free from your current impediment, and see what is out there. You probably could also let your son know gently that you are at least thinking 'a bit' about this as a possible option for the future.... so he will be ready if/when the time comes. (It is rather like the high school kid who starts to drop hints that they might be thinking of a convent or monastery or seminary after high school is finished.... you are right about that!)

I'd suggest starting a different thread with this topic - like 'vocation after kids leave home' or somethng like that.... I think there may be others on PhatMass who are curious about the same topic.

There ARE a few communities that are out there, but you are right - it gets tougher the older you get... but it is all about God making the way open, right?

Have you thought about what kind of community you seek? Active? Cloistered? a particular ministry? a particular Religious family?

Prayers for your discernment.....

Thank you for the welcomes, everyone, and hi, IgnatiusofLoyola! Yes, I am the author of Infused Knowledge, which I last updated two years ago. I told myself I wouldn't blog again till I had the rest of my life firmly in order, and, well... it takes a while. :)

Edited by oiboyz

Glad to have you. And... if you can get all of it together in 2 years, we are ALL impressed. On the other hand, we're glad to have you here if you are as mixed up as the rest of us are. ;)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='oiboyz' timestamp='1347759968' post='2482844']
Thank you for the welcomes, everyone, and hi, IgnatiusofLoyola! Yes, I am the author of Infused Knowledge, which I last updated two years ago. I told myself I wouldn't blog again till I had the rest of my life firmly in order, and, well... it takes a while. :)
[/quote]

A very special welcome! I read your blog before you entered, because it was recommended by a special friend of Phatmass (and a friend of mine)--she loved your blog and recommended it on her blog. That friend was the author of the blog "Lapsus Linguae" and entered the same month you did in 2010. On Phatmass, she was known as Laetitia Crucis and was very much loved (and still is, even though she does not have access to the Internet so we haven't heard from her directly since her home visit late last summer). She is now Sister Mary Catherine, just completing her canonical novitiate year with the Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph in Tyringham, England. She is incredibly happy.

Here on Phatmass a number of posters were previously in religious life, so you'll have plenty of people to talk to who have been in similar situations. Some are discerning again, some have decided to no longer discern relgious life, and at least one is happily married with a child. We definitely could use your posts because we have posters who have left religious life fairly recently, and would probably benefit from hearing from you (whether in posts or private messages) about what your past two years have been like. BTW: Laetitia Crucis/Sister Mary Catherine is one of those who was with another Community and left during her novitiate and eventually was called to her current community.

So, please visit here as often as you can!

[quote name='oiboyz' timestamp='1347759968' post='2482844']
[/quote]

Hiya :) Join the club ... I left a community in 2009, and my life is still not in order. If you get it in order in two years, kudos! And show us how to do the same (lol).

Welcome!

Oiboyz, was the language difference a problem? I think you mentioned on your blog that you did speak French, but "living" a language is very different [I know; my husband speaks no English, and my children don't like to, so my non-internet life is lived in Hebrew. After 35 years here, I still don't read for pleasure in any language but English]

Thanks, anneline and cmariadiaz. I have found my people! :)

IgnatiusofLoyola, thank you very much for the update on Sister Mary Catherine. I loved her blog and we commented back and forth quite a bit before we both left for postulancy, so I've been wondering if she was still with her community and if she was happy. I'm glad to hear that she is!

Antigonos, it was tough to be the only person there who couldn't understand French, but that wasn't why I left. I believe God called me to enter, but then He called me leave again too. When I first visited the Adorers, there were two English-speaking postulants there who had entered without knowing the language, but after seven months they were already able to converse and tell stories in French. So I know if I had stayed I would have learned enough, although from your experience it sounds like it would always have seemed a little foreign to me.

If any girl is thinking of entering a foreign community, I would tell her that it is difficult and isolating not to speak the language. I felt it every day and it made everything harder, even though the Adorers were full of love and good will. So take the language difference seriously. But at the same time, if it's God's will for you to be there, the language barrier will be overcome, just like all the other difficulties of relgious life. Mother Caroline-Marie told me that every postulant has suffering, but if you're really called to the life, the suffering won't keep you from being happy. Girls who are meant to be there will flourish-- the word she used was [i]épanouie[/i]. :)

I posted a handful of pictures on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150578284872559.429597.674342558&type=3

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='oiboyz' timestamp='1348071197' post='2484179']
I posted a handful of pictures on Facebook: [url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150578284872559.429597.674342558&type=3"]http://www.facebook....74342558&type=3[/url]
[/quote]

The link says to me: "This content is currently unavailable.

The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1348176358' post='2484735']
The link says to me: "This content is currently unavailable.

The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."
[/quote]

And me .!!

[quote name='oiboyz' timestamp='1348203669' post='2484956']
Sorry folks! I think I've fixed it now.
[/quote]

Sorry, just tried the link and it still doesn't work.

[quote name='oiboyz' timestamp='1348203669' post='2484956']
Sorry folks! I think I've fixed it now.
[/quote]
[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1348203953' post='2484958']
Sorry, just tried the link and it still doesn't work.
[/quote]

Works for me! Are you in another country, A? It may be that..though I don't think Facebook is 'US only.'