An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-traditional Wedding Dresses

friendofJPII

Non-traditional wedding dresses  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MissScripture

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606856' date='Jul 23 2008, 08:55 PM']Many of the modest bridal stores [url="http://www.beautifullymodest.com/store/wedding-dresses/"]http://www.beautifullymodest.com/store/wedding-dresses/[/url] are based in Utah because they have a large community of Mormons. You can buy it off the internet, but who can decide on a dress w/o trying it on first?

The staps David's Bridal are pathetic, thin, little peices of lace that they charge you a lot to sew on. They are not real "straps". And I would want actual (short) sleeves[/quote]
They don't charge anymore than if you took them somewhere else to be sewn on. Alterations are expensive.
And why are they not real straps? And they also have actual sleeve options.

friendofJPII

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1606870' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:04 PM']My wedding dress is gonna be an off white, mish-mash of fabrics all put together with a safety pin. My veil will be very long and black!

But if something happens and I don't go back to the Convent...
(GOD FORBID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I think I wouldn't mind getting married in blue jeans and a t-shirt...at midnite, when no -one is around but me and my boo and the Catholic priest, and my witness.....

...yup...i would elope...Catholic-style![/quote]

I still think you would need a dress of some sort. No one should enter the sacrament of marriage in jeans.

friendofJPII

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1606872' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:05 PM']They don't charge anymore than if you took them somewhere else to be sewn on. Alterations are expensive.
And why are they not real straps? And they also have actual sleeve options.[/quote]

The fabric is very small and ultra-sheer.

MissScripture

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1606870' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:04 PM']My wedding dress is gonna be an off white, mish-mash of fabrics all put together with a safety pin. My veil will be very long and black!

I think I wouldn't mind getting married in blue jeans and a t-shirt...at midnite, when no -one is around but me and my boo and the Catholic priest, and my witness.....

Jason doesn't allow eloping. Just an FYI. :mellow:

My husband was going to wear a kilt to our wedding, but he would have looked like Santa Claus in drag. He wore his tartan on his tie and stuff. His dad wore one though. His dad wears one everyday, so I didn't have any say in it, and he walked me down the aisle since my father is no longer with us. He has the legs for it at least.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606856' date='Jul 23 2008, 08:55 PM']The staps David's Bridal are pathetic, thin, little peices of lace that they charge you a lot to sew on. They are not real "straps". And I would want actual (short) sleeves[/quote]

I'm pretty sure there are more dress shops than just David's Bridal....

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606878' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:08 PM']The fabric is very small and ultra-sheer.[/quote]

Once again, look at another store, or have sleeves custom made..

Edited by Roamin_Catholic

MissScripture

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1606884' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:10 PM']My husband was going to wear a kilt to our wedding, but he would have looked like Santa Claus in drag. He wore his tartan on his tie and stuff. His dad wore one though. His dad wears one everyday, so I didn't have any say in it, and he walked me down the aisle since my father is no longer with us. He has the legs for it at least.[/quote]
My cousin's husband wore a kilt to their wedding, as did his groomsmen. You could tell those men had never worn them before...they didn't know how to sit in skirts...:twitch:

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1606870' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:04 PM']My wedding dress is gonna be an off white, mish-mash of fabrics all put together with a safety pin. My veil will be very long and black!

I haven't started planning in earnest yet, but I'm looking ahead to the next few months and really wishing we could elope. The only thing that makes planning a wedding worthwhile is knowing that I get to be married after the fact.

dominicansoul

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606877' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:07 PM']I still think you would need a dress of some sort. No one should enter the sacrament of marriage in jeans.[/quote]

Not just any jeans, silly!

"True Religion" jeans!
:topsy:

Or maybe...

Gucci's "Genius Jeans"

MissScripture

I would just like to point out that the sacrament is not only taking place at the altar, but a very important part also takes place later, with only the man and woman present. I doubt the woman will be wearing a dress of any color for that. :shutup:

My sister in law gave me a pink flannel nighty that was 3 sizes too big for a wedding present. I guess that was what she was hoping I was going to wear after the wedding.

dominicansoul

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1606952' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:13 PM']I would just like to point out that the sacrament is not only taking place at the altar, but a very important part also takes place later, with only the man and woman present. I doubt the woman will be wearing a dress of any color for that. :shutup:[/quote]

:think: You've got a point there! :topsy:

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1606952' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:13 PM']I would just like to point out that the sacrament is not only taking place at the altar, but a very important part also takes place later, with only the man and woman present. I doubt the woman will be wearing a dress of any color for that. :shutup:[/quote]

what is this later part that you speak of :unsure:

MissScripture

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1606976' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:28 PM']what is this later part that you speak of :unsure:[/quote]
:rolleyes: Gooberhead! Won't you be surprised? ;)

[quote name='Barbarus' post='1606911' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:36 PM']I haven't started planning in earnest yet, but I'm looking ahead to the next few months and really wishing we could elope. The only thing that makes planning a wedding worthwhile is knowing that I get to be married after the fact.[/quote]

When's your date??

I totally know how you feel. Planning is so overwhelming!! I don't want to throw advice at you un-prompted, but if you want any tidbits and pointers I'd be happy to talk Wedding with you!