An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-traditional Wedding Dresses

friendofJPII

Non-traditional wedding dresses  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1604696' date='Jul 21 2008, 06:56 PM']How do you define tasteful, exactly? I think it is rather sad that I will have to fly to Utah to look for a dress when I get married, because almost all the dresses in stores these days are strapless/ultra-fitted/immodest or colored.[/quote]

Also, try eBay. Really! I have an aunt who wanted a very modest, traditional-looking, all-white wedding dress. She found her dress on eBay at a very reasonable price. Since the dress is only worn that one day, apparently there are a surprising number of dresses available for sale on eBay OR at certain consignment shops that are high-end or that specialize in wedding attire.

MissScripture

There are several others of us, too. There is a thread somewhere in open mic; the Offical Phatmass Wedding Prep Thread is the title, I think...

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606605' date='Jul 23 2008, 05:04 PM']I meant a man's attire.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
wow, i really hope you don't think i was serious. :huh: it's called humor. :rolleyes:

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1607019' date='Jul 24 2008, 12:48 AM']There are several others of us, too. There is a thread somewhere in open mic; the Offical Phatmass Wedding Prep Thread is the title, I think...[/quote]

Eep! I can't find it. :[

MissScripture

[quote name='BlueRose' post='1607075' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:15 PM']Eep! I can't find it. :[[/quote]
I'll go see if I can find it...

Found it:
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=75897&hl=Marriage+Preparation"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...age+Preparation[/url]

Edited by MissScripture

[quote name='BlueRose' post='1607002' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:42 PM']When's your date??

I totally know how you feel. Planning is so overwhelming!! I don't want to throw advice at you un-prompted, but if you want any tidbits and pointers I'd be happy to talk Wedding with you![/quote]
Jan. 2. We have almost confirmed the site for the wedding and the reception; those are the biggest things right now. And I have the dress. We talked about a date much earlier briefly, so I got the dress so I'd be ready for whatever we ended up deciding.

MissScripture

I got my dress almost a year and a half before my wedding (mine is June 20, 2009). We were just going to look, and we found it...so we bought it!

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1607118' date='Jul 24 2008, 12:46 AM']I got my dress almost a year and a half before my wedding (mine is June 20, 2009). We were just going to look, and we found it...so we bought it![/quote]
Yeah ... it didn't take me long to settle once I started shopping in earnest. I had been perusing for a couple of months, but then I found a decent style at the right price. I gotta say, trying on dresses was a little surreal. The first time I went, seeing myself in the mirrors wearing a dress made me realize that I'm really getting married. I mean, I have known for a while that this is the guy, and we've been talking marriage since our second month of dating, but somehow the dress made it real-er.

friendofJPII

[quote name='BlueRose' post='1607018' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:48 PM']Also, try eBay. Really! I have an aunt who wanted a very modest, traditional-looking, all-white wedding dress. She found her dress on eBay at a very reasonable price. Since the dress is only worn that one day, apparently there are a surprising number of dresses available for sale on eBay OR at certain consignment shops that are high-end or that specialize in wedding attire.[/quote]

That's not the point. The main bridal stores should be offering more options.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1606856' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:55 AM']You can buy it off the internet, but who can decide on a dress w/o trying it on first?[/quote]
Um, I did. I went into a couple of dress shops and tried some on, so I knew what size and style I was looking for, but I didn't like the prices. I found mine off the internet for half the price of what was listed in the shop. It was listed as strapless, but came with straps to attach. It arrived in the mail a couple of weeks after I ordered it, I tried it on, and it fit perfectly. So really, if you try some on in the shops first, it's no big deal to buy one off the internet since you'd already know the size you need.

The only alterations mine needed was to bustle it. Perhaps I should have gotten sleeves for it, seeing as it was a December wedding, but I was also in Florida.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1606952' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:13 PM']I would just like to point out that the sacrament is not only taking place at the altar, but a very important part also takes place later, with only the man and woman present. I doubt the woman will be wearing a dress of any color for that. :shutup:[/quote]

ROFL!!! No comment...

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1607118' date='Jul 24 2008, 12:46 AM']I got my dress almost a year and a half before my wedding (mine is June 20, 2009). We were just going to look, and we found it...so we bought it![/quote]

lol sounds like me, I found mine the weekend after I got engaged lol I didn't buy it then though. I'm glad I didn't I found one I liked even better when I was actually going to buy the dress I had tried on before.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1607237' date='Jul 24 2008, 05:46 AM']That's not the point. The main bridal stores should be offering more options.[/quote]

You know, bridal stores are businesses too. They have to buy all those dresses and then resell them. So while people may like a lot of options, at some point it may put the store out of business.

friendofJPII

[quote name='rkwright' post='1607301' date='Jul 24 2008, 08:50 AM']You know, bridal stores are businesses too. They have to buy all those dresses and then resell them. So while people may like a lot of options, at some point it may put the store out of business.[/quote]

I guess this goes back to the larger issue of being able to find modest, yet stylish clothes in general. Sadly, right now our only options are Hot mama or Grandma Moses. Are clothing trends dictating our dress or is public demand dictating clothing styles. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1607315' date='Jul 24 2008, 08:43 AM']I guess this goes back to the larger issue of being able to find modest, yet stylish clothes in general. Sadly, right now our only options are Hot mama or Grandma Moses. Are clothing trends dictating our dress or is public demand dictating clothing styles. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i'm sorry, but there are so many options out there right now, that i truly do not believe our only options are 'hot mama' or 'grandma moses'. there are internet stores (some based in utah as you said), there are always the 'misses' sections of stores (instead of the junior section which is mostly that very immodest stuff). even in a juniors section though, you can make things modest (not just talking about hemming or sewing). i put on a 'girls day' event that had a modest fashion show from the juniors section. there are modest options out there, you just have to look harder!