An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Water Isn't Holy Water?!

Dave

I am quite sure that the old ritual for the blessing of holy water contained exorcism prayers... if the new ritual does not contain those prayers, then nowadays there is indeed a distinction and thus holy water from the extraordinary form would be exorcised water whereas holy water from the ordinary form would be blessed water of more significance than water blessed at a meal (as it is blessed liturgically and is still a sacramental) but of a definitively different character than what holy water used to be.

I'd definitely need to see evidence as to whether or not there are exorcism prayers in the new ritual for holy water before I was willing to say the above definitively, but IF there is no exorcism prayer, then holy water whilst being a sacramental and a liturgical sign is different now than it used to be.

MissScripture

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1632448' date='Aug 20 2008, 01:58 AM']I am quite sure that the old ritual for the blessing of holy water contained exorcism prayers... if the new ritual does not contain those prayers, then nowadays there is indeed a distinction and thus holy water from the extraordinary form would be exorcised water whereas holy water from the ordinary form would be blessed water of more significance than water blessed at a meal (as it is blessed liturgically and is still a sacramental) but of a definitively different character than what holy water used to be.

I'd definitely need to see evidence as to whether or not there are exorcism prayers in the new ritual for holy water before I was willing to say the above definitively, but IF there is no exorcism prayer, then holy water whilst being a sacramental and a liturgical sign is different now than it used to be.[/quote]
Does this mean that blessing yourself with "new" Holy Water (without the exocism prayer) would not forgive venial sins?

cmotherofpirl

Do you think God lessens a blessing because different prayers are used?
Do you think its a magic formula?

I never said He lessened the blessings. If the water is not exorcised, then it is not exorcised water... pure and simple. It is blessed water, and it is holy water because it is still liturgical and a sacramental, but it does not carry an exorcism unless a priest exorcises it. Like I said, I know the old ritual contained an exorcism and I do not know if the new ritual does or not, I would like to see clarification on that. If it does not, then it makes sense why Fr. Amorth makes a distinction between "holy water" and "exorcised water" nowadays, whereas with the older rituals all holy water would have also been exorcised water.

[url="http://books.google.com/books?id=AgaDx-NSiMYC&pg=RA4-PA565&lpg=RA4-PA565&dq=blessing+of+holy+water&source=web&ots=6SmA8l0VYv&sig=xiZxaN8knVyrb70B66zeiXx7Qus&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PRA4-PA103,M1"]http://books.google.com/books?id=AgaDx-NSi...t#PRA4-PA103,M1[/url]

Says on Page 103 that salt may be added when customary

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1632905' date='Aug 20 2008, 03:36 PM']I never said He lessened the blessings. If the water is not exorcised, then it is not exorcised water... pure and simple. It is blessed water, and it is holy water because it is still liturgical and a sacramental, but it does not carry an exorcism unless a priest exorcises it. Like I said, I know the old ritual contained an exorcism and I do not know if the new ritual does or not, I would like to see clarification on that. If it does not, then it makes sense why Fr. Amorth makes a distinction between "holy water" and "exorcised water" nowadays, whereas with the older rituals all holy water would have also been exorcised water.[/quote]
Something just occured to me...
Maybe this distinction between exorcised water and holy water is only a distinction that is identical to the difference between an exorcism and a blessing?
Obviously not on the same level, but that doesn't lessen a blessing in any way.
Make sense?

• 10 years later...