An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Special Comment On Sarah Palin

Fidei Defensor

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1672352' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:24 PM']There is a fundamental difference between Hannity and Oberman. Hannity claims to be a commentator. Oberman claims to be journalist.[/quote]

[quote name='Hassan' post='1672997' date='Oct 8 2008, 08:10 PM']Ok?

The both are journalists.

They are both constant liars/manipulators who would not know a rational argument are objective analysis if it bit them.[/quote]

Still there is a difference, because from what I understand Hannity is honest of his bias. Where as Oberman claims to be unbias.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1673101' date='Oct 8 2008, 10:43 PM']Still there is a difference, because from what I understand Hannity is honest of his bias. Where as Oberman claims to be unbias.[/quote]

He admits he is a conservative. On his radio he constantly claims his coverage is "fair" or "comprehansive" or something (I honestly can't remember at the moment).

I have never heard Keith call his show objective or unbalanced (he very well may have, I don't watch his show often).

I really don't consider either of them honest.

Honestly I don't have a problem with conservatism as it used to be. I have many tendencies that are conservative (I have said before I am a fan of George Will). I cannot stand the American conservative party for their foreign policy (here I mean the neo-con part that seems to have most of the power) and a number of other issues, but pure conservativism I find to be a very interesting body of thought.

Most conservative commentators purposefully boast of their bias though. e.g. Limbaugh serving humanity just by showing up..

[quote name='Didymus' post='1673234' date='Oct 9 2008, 02:31 AM']Most conservative commentators purposefully boast of their bias though. e.g. Limbaugh serving humanity just by showing up..[/quote]

Sure

[quote name='Hassan' post='1673111' date='Oct 9 2008, 01:08 PM']He admits he is a conservative. On his radio he constantly claims his coverage is "fair" or "comprehansive" or something (I honestly can't remember at the moment).[/quote]
You're getting Hannity confused with Fox News itself. Fox News claims it's fair and balanced, Hannity never has said that about himself to my knowledge.

Edited by Justin86

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Didymus' post='1673234' date='Oct 9 2008, 03:31 AM']Most conservative commentators purposefully boast of their bias though. e.g. Limbaugh serving humanity just by showing up..[/quote]
"Talent on loan from God" is the best tag line of his.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1672807' date='Oct 8 2008, 01:26 PM']It's a major qualification.[/quote]

For me - it's a "non-negotiable" - but not something that makes a candidate "more qualified".

KnightofChrist

[quote name='inDEED' post='1673608' date='Oct 9 2008, 08:16 PM']For me - it's a "non-negotiable" - but not something that makes a candidate "more qualified".[/quote]

How can it be a non-negotiable but not a major qualification? For you to vote for a candidate you require a condition, that they must be pro-life.

Describing it as you do as a 'non-negotiable' does sound as if you are setting qualifications which much be met.

[b]qualification[/b]
[indent] 1. The act of qualifying or the condition of being qualified.
[b]2. A quality, ability, or accomplishment that makes a person suitable for a particular position or task.[/b]
3. A condition or circumstance that must be met or complied with: fulfilled the qualifications for registering to vote in the presidential election.
4. A restriction or modification: an offer with a number of qualifications.[/indent]

Edited by KnightofChrist

Let me make this perfectly clear.

Alan Keyes is pro-life.
Sarah Palin is pro-life.

Both are eligible for my vote - because both are pro-life.

HOWEVER, despite the fact that both Sarah Palin & Alan Keyes are running for different offices, I believe that Alan Keyes is CLEARLY more qualified than Sarah Palin. And, because he is more qualified, he would get my vote.

Does that clarify my previous statement?

[quote name='inDEED' post='1673984' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:11 AM']Let me make this perfectly clear.

Alan Keyes is pro-life.
Sarah Palin is pro-life.

HOWEVER, despite the fact that both Sarah Palin & Alan Keyes are running for different offices, I believe that Alan Keyes is CLEARLY more qualified than Sarah Palin. And, because he is more qualified, he would get my vote.

Does that clarify my previous statement?[/quote]
I agreed with you. A major qualification, but not the only qualifier.
That's perfectly clear.

Although I do disagree with your vote. lol

[quote name='inDEED' post='1673984' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:11 AM']HOWEVER, despite the fact that both Sarah Palin & Alan Keyes are running for different offices, I believe that Alan Keyes is CLEARLY more qualified than Sarah Palin. And, because he is more qualified, he would get my vote.[/quote]
Didn't the press say the same about Quayle? If she is as dumb as Quayle and America did not implode, then Palin will be fine. (I don't think Quayle is dumb.)

It really doesn't matter who ran as VP. The left would paint that person as either a) dumb, b) sinister, c) cold, d) cruel, e) greedy, f) stubborn, g) insane, ... z) all the above. Sure, they say "[Candidate X] would have been a better VP pick." The second that person is picked, a rain of hate will come down from the left.

I did not watch Keith's rant because one loses IQ points watching the dolt.

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1673995' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:24 PM']It really doesn't matter who ran as VP. The left would paint that person as either a) dumb, b) sinister, c) cold, d) cruel, e) greedy, f) stubborn, g) insane, ... z) all the above. Sure, they say "[Candidate X] would have been a better VP pick." The second that person is picked, a rain of hate will come down from the left.[/quote]

See...here's the thing - it does matter to me who the VP will be - especially for a candidate with as many previous health issues such as McCain.

And - my opinion on Palin's intelligence and readiness for the VP role isn't based on the "left". It's simply based on what I've seen - the Couric interview & the debate both did fantastic jobs of showing me how unprepared she truly is.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1673993' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:19 PM']I agreed with you. A major qualification, but not the only qualifier.
That's perfectly clear.

Although I do disagree with your vote. lol[/quote]

:cool:

[quote name='inDEED' post='1674379' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:42 PM']See...here's the thing - it does matter to me who the VP will be - especially for a candidate with as many previous health issues such as McCain.[/quote]
Isn't Cheney supposed to be dead right now? They said the same thing about him. Remember?

Most individuals dying in the past few months have been around the age of 50. A friend and I were discussing how odd it has been lately. Maybe we should be worried about Obama. He's in the age range and is a [b]smoker[/b]. Biden as president is horrifying.

[quote]And - my opinion on Palin's intelligence and readiness for the VP role isn't based on the "left". It's simply based on what I've seen - the Couric interview & the debate both did fantastic jobs of showing me how unprepared she truly is.[/quote]
Biden did appear like he had it together. Didn't he? It was impressive. Too bad it was a lot of lies. Last count I saw was 22.

I would rather Palin repeat lines from stump speeches in a debate than lie. Keep in mind that many people have not heard what Palin has been saying on campaign stops, so the debate was a good time to talk to the people.

Could Palin have done better in the Couric interview? Sure. Has she done better in other interviews? Yes. So why does a bad interview cancel out all others? Have you seen how well sure performs in town hall meetings? That deserves credit. Enough credit should cancel out a demerit.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='inDEED' post='1673984' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:11 AM']Let me make this perfectly clear.

Alan Keyes is pro-life.
Sarah Palin is pro-life.

Does that clarify my previous statement?[/quote]

This does have better clarity.