An Old School Catholic Message Board

Debate

Hassan

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Hassan' post='1678567' date='Oct 15 2008, 08:35 PM']Best debate I have seen yet. Nice to see some life in McCain, his best show so far.[/quote]
I agree. McCain did wonderfully compared to the previous two.

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1678568' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:36 PM']McCain won that one....[/quote]

I think he was the first half in a sense.

Obama batted him back.

I think had McCain done this the first time he may have been able to make a difference.

I don;t think it was enough for him to turn things around.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1678606' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:04 PM']Now the question is, did anyone watch who hasn't already made up their mind?[/quote]

Didn't you watch it on NBC? They found six people...

:mellow:

They actually talked about abortion. I wish McCain would have brought up the fact that Obama's healthcare plan would mandate government funding of abortions.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='dUSt' post='1678615' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:09 PM']They actually talked about abortion. I wish McCain would have brought up the fact that Obama's healthcare plan would mandate government funding of abortions.[/quote]
I want McCain to elaborate more about what he said about nominating Justices based on qualification and not stances. He mentioned he voted to approve Justice Ginsberg, the liberal, pro-choice Justice...

Interesting.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1678615' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:09 PM']They actually talked about abortion. I wish McCain would have brought up the fact that Obama's healthcare plan would mandate government funding of abortions.[/quote]

I wish McCain would have hammered Obama on how he wanted to see outlawed late-term abortions and contrast it with the impact of the Freedom of Choice Act.

I have often tried to explain that justices have a history of voting just the opposite of the way the president thinks they are going to on issues. Picking the most competent and qualified person is the only way that I would go if I was the president. Really good justices will often follow precedence (like they are supposed to) even when they disagree with them.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1678621' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:13 PM']I want McCain to elaborate more about what he said about nominating Justices based on qualification and not stances. He mentioned he voted to approve Justice Ginsberg, the liberal, pro-choice Justice...

Interesting.[/quote]

If you get a chance to watch a debate replay, see McCain's closing on this subject. McCain did manage to slip in a remark something to the effect that judges who openly supported Roe vs. Wade did not meet the qualifications (federalist, "strict constructionist"). That was EXACTLY the way to phrase it, IMHO.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1678644' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:22 PM']If you get a chance to watch a debate replay, see McCain's closing on this subject. McCain did manage to slip in a remark something to the effect that judges who openly supported Roe vs. Wade did not meet the qualifications (federalist, "strict constructionist"). That was EXACTLY the way to phrase it, IMHO.[/quote]
Careful there, you sound like you're saying that the President shouldn't do everything in his power to promote life, which is a the resounding cry I hear around here.

So given a hypothetical situation where you had to choose between a "competent" Judge who has had a record of generally supporting abortions "rights" or an "incompetent" (or, less qualified) Judge who is what you'd call "pro-life," who would you choose?

I ask because saying that "a competent judge wouldn't support Roe V. Wade" doesn't really cut it. Would John McCain help the pro-life cause by selecting a pro-life judge and swinging the balance of the court, or would he risk choosing someone who could vote for abortion "rights" and continue to stand in the way of the movement?

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1678679' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:48 PM']I ask because saying that "a competent judge wouldn't support Roe V. Wade" doesn't really cut it.[/quote]

It may not "cut it" to you, but to me it is "code" that he would try for a pro-lifer.

Edited by Norseman82

Ash Wednesday

As some might know, that "you should have ran against him four years ago" statement was so funny I gave it it's own thread on the lame board. Probably one of the best zingers I've heard since Lloyd Bentsen said "you are no Jack Kennedy" back in 1988.

I do think that McCain should have done this in the first debate. I think the way he handled the financial crisis by calling for campaign suspensions and trying to delay the debates may have cost him the race. Only time will tell.

I'm heavily favoring a vote for Joe the Plumber, though.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1678726' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:08 AM']I'm heavily favoring a vote for Joe the Plumber, though.[/quote]
:lol_roll:

I was just going to post about that. Is that not the coolest name ever?