An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some More Nashville Questions

Maria Faustina

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1720176' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:24 PM']It always amazes me how pristine the white habits look (although I note they yellow with washing, as most whites do) but I was recently with a few Sisters of Life and noted that - for all the aprons they wore - they really had a challenge to keep their sleeves clean. I joked about it to a sister and she looked at the habit of one of the newer novices and sighed a little and said, "yes...I can't remember when my cuffs looked that perfect!"

She also put up with my question as to why the sisters all move their scapular aside before sitting..."it's because they're blessed."

Ah. Makes sense.[/quote]

The Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph have a kind of inner sleeve that buttons over the sleeve proper, which can be changed easily.

The aprons make sense now, too :) Thanks!

DominicanPhilosophy

I know that with the Nashville Dominicans, you can ask the professed sisters to sew some of the aprons for you, and if you're in the area, you can stop by the Motherhouse to work on them for a few hours. This question made my day. Maria Faustina, you make me laugh -- love ya! :D

[quote]Good heavens, don't they wear bras?

I can't think of anything more uncomfy than being generously endowed and without a bra![/quote]

HAHAHAHA!

Oh but hey, does anyone know why the sisters switched from the immaculate white material for their habits to the creamy off-white color? It kind of clashes with the novices' immaculate white veils [not that it makes them any less beautiful Sponsae Christi!].

+JMJD

Edited by DominicanPhilosophy

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

I think the novice habits are not made with the nicer material, the nicer material looking "immaculate white" as opposed to the "off white." I think every sister uses their novice habit as their working habit or what have you. But I'm pretty sure they make new "immaculate white" ones with the nicer material when they make their first vows. Somethin' like that. :)

Edit: Oh, and I think that the "off-white" habit is a heavier material, hence more of a cold-weather habit??

I love this thread. :love:

Edited by Ave Maria Totus Tuus

I think that they just get whichever color is available/cheaper, regarding pure white and off-white. There are sisters currently wearing both. At least, I think that that's what they said when I asked.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='A Yearning Heart' post='1723072' date='Dec 9 2008, 05:27 AM']I am loving this thread....

More, MORE!![/quote]

hahahaha yay ;)

So, I have more questions-

What types of things are on the Nashville Dominican application?-I know its like Confirmation/Baptism/school transcripts/doctor's stuff, but what is on there specifically, and how long does it take to fill out?

What do the sisters look for most in a possible postulant?-I've heard maturity is a big one, but what are some of the other things?

Thanks guys! I'm trying to get a good inside feel of them for my guidance counselor and for myself in order to decide my next steps!

With love+prayers in Christ,
Maria Faustina

Thomist-in-Training

VA said something about detachable sleeves--that makes sense since I noticed that a Nashville sister whom I met seemed to have some sort of (metal?) bands around her sleeves around her elbows (where you couldn't usually see them)... ah hah! perhaps that is why.

the lords sheep

What do they look for in a possible postulant?
Goodness, I can't speak to Nashville, but I can in general. Usually communities are looking for women who are balanced, healthy- mentally, spiritually, and physically, both socially and spiritually mature, with good judgment, a willingness to be formed, a strong prayer life, and a love for the Church.

Most important are that she: 1. desires to enter the order and exhibits signs of a calling to both the religious life and that particular charism, and 2. that she is free to do so, meaning that she is choosing to enter by her own will (ie- not influenced or persuaded into entering) and that she has nothing which prohibits her from entering (debt or other issues).

Beyond that, it's pretty specific to each community. Hope that helps!

In Christ,
Lauren

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1723361' date='Dec 9 2008, 03:17 PM']VA said something about detachable sleeves--that makes sense since I noticed that a Nashville sister whom I met seemed to have some sort of (metal?) bands around her sleeves around her elbows (where you couldn't usually see them)... ah hah! perhaps that is why.[/quote]
Yes, the Nashville sisters wear undersleeves. Some of them have metal bracelets that they wear to keep them up. I think others might have elastic ones. Keeping them at/above the elbows leaves a nice clean finished look, but it's easy enough to take them off when cleaning or playing outdoors.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='frenchfry' post='1723507' date='Dec 9 2008, 07:06 PM']I'm so glad you're asking this - I want to know the exact same stuff! haha i love this thread[/quote]

Heyyy frenchfry! Are you interested in the Nashville Dominicans also?

oh yeah, and about the sleeves...Nashville does have the habit with removable sleeves. The sister that taught me took them off in front of me when she was about to play volleyball with me LOL and said, "Shhh!!! don't tell anyone!" haha but she was kidding. And, of course I just *had* to try them on! :)

Maria Faustina

[quote name='shortnun' post='1723672' date='Dec 9 2008, 10:30 PM']Yes, the Nashville sisters wear undersleeves. Some of them have metal bracelets that they wear to keep them up. I think others might have elastic ones. Keeping them at/above the elbows leaves a nice clean finished look, but it's easy enough to take them off when cleaning or playing outdoors.[/quote]
Exactly. Some have rubber bands instead of the metal bands shortnun is talkign about, but I'm not quite sure why.

DominicanPhilosophy

I just had to add to this -- I've had the same experience trying them on and LOVED IT! LOL..

I guess Sister was getting desperate on the 16-hour bus ride back from the March for Life and couldn't handle me anymore so she amazed me by showing me the different parts of the habit and letting me try on the sleeves [the ones with the metal watch-band things]. Then today, actually, one of the sisters at school had to "do a pin-up" (sooo funny to watch -- I saw one at a car wash fundraiser..haha) and took off her fake sleeves with the elastic.

Ahh,[i] Sponsae Christi[/i]!

+JMJD

PS: Favorite thread ever! =D

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1723348' date='Dec 9 2008, 02:54 PM']hahahaha yay ;)

So, I have more questions-

What types of things are on the Nashville Dominican application?-I know its like Confirmation/Baptism/school transcripts/doctor's stuff, but what is on there specifically, and how long does it take to fill out?

What do the sisters look for most in a possible postulant?-I've heard maturity is a big one, but what are some of the other things?

Thanks guys! I'm trying to get a good inside feel of them for my guidance counselor and for myself in order to decide my next steps!

With love+prayers in Christ,
Maria Faustina[/quote]

One thing to note--to even formally get an application, you must write Mother a letter requesting to do so--all done under the guidance of the Vocation Director, of course. I agree with all that is said above in regards to what they are "looking for" per se. There is some writing involved--I remember my friend writing something on "why you feel called to be a St. Cecilia Dominican" and I think there were others like that. There is also a psychological evaluation required, as is required when entering most communities.

God bless you on your journey! PM me anytime, I'd love to answer any questions I can. Dominican Philosopher and I are tight. :)