An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some More Nashville Questions

Maria Faustina

the lords sheep

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' post='1730330' date='Dec 17 2008, 06:43 PM']Abandon your heart to His Divine Providence, and live for the present moment always! Dream your dreams of Love, but never forget that all the grace you need is right here in the present moment.

You are known with an infinite knowledge and loved with an infinite love.[/quote]

Can I quote you on that? (Yes I realize I just did... I mean outside of the thread!)

Thank you. It's as if the Holy Spirit has used you to speak directly to my heart.

Praise God!

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1730450' date='Dec 17 2008, 01:45 PM']Can I quote you on that? (Yes I realize I just did... I mean outside of the thread!)

Thank you. It's as if the Holy Spirit has used you to speak directly to my heart.

Praise God![/quote]

I'm humbled! Praise God for the Holy Spirit moving in you.

However, I cannot claim those quotes!

The part about abandoning to Divine Providence and living in the present moment comes from the thoughts of Fr. de Caussade, author of the book "Abandonment to Divine Providence." (Highly recommended, by the way!)

And the quote "you are known with an infinite knowledge and loved with an infinite love" is from Pope Pius XII. I think? Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

The idea of "dreams of Love" comes from my favorite quote of Saint Josemaria Escriva. The quote has actually been HUGE for me in learning to be patient and wait in joyful hope for His will to be made manifest!

"An upright heart and a good will. With these, and your mind intent on carrying out what God wants, you will see your dreams of Love come true and your hunger for souls satisfied."
~St. Josemaria

God bless y'all!! :sign:

Edited by Ave Maria Totus Tuus

DominicanPhilosophy

Agreed! I think it is good to be reminded of that, that it is His will we all must submit entirely to, not ours.

+JMJD

the lords sheep

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' post='1730649' date='Dec 17 2008, 11:12 PM']The part about abandoning to Divine Providence and living in the present moment comes from the thoughts of Fr. de Caussade, author of the book "Abandonment to Divine Providence." (Highly recommended, by the way!)[/quote]

No joke, I just bought this book a little bit (a few weeks) ago, and it's sitting next to my bed... I just haven't gotten to read much! I know what I may be reading over Christmas!!!! (well, in addition to all the philosophy I have to read....)

In Christ, our coming King,
Lauren

Maria Faustina

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' post='1730330' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:43 PM']My advice for you each who are young and longing to go on retreat/enter/etc is to be patient. It will all happen in the timing He desires! I know it is extremely difficult to be patient at times, especially in these matters of the true depths of your heart, but they are necessary and very well are according to His very specific plan for you.

If you are asked to wait to enter, or wait to go on retreat, or whatever, trust that this is from Him. And believe me--these Sisters know what they're doing! Have faith in them too, for they have been doing this for nearly 150 years. And, you'd think they get some beautiful enlightenment from their Divine Spouse! :-)

In the mean time, let your love for Him grow daily deeper as your longing for Him increases. The greater your patience or the longer He might be asking you to wait--the sweeter your love for Him will be and the greater your understanding and appreciation of it all will be the time He does call you there--God willing!

Abandon your heart to His Divine Providence, and live for the present moment always! Dream your dreams of Love, but never forget that all the grace you need is right here in the present moment.

You are known with an infinite knowledge and loved with an infinite love.
Praised be Jesus Christ![/quote]

Thanks-I just need to hear that sometimes.

dominicansoul

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1727622' date='Dec 14 2008, 10:57 AM']Does anyone know if the sisters do penances? Like, [i]The Sound of Music[/i]-style with kissing the floor after arguments. I don't think they do, and I probably would've seen or heard about it before if they do, but I've always wondered that. They do make us kiss our shield at school if we step on it, and we them, but that's a tradition thing lol![/quote]

penances and such as that are discussed within the community. I love this thread, but at the same time, there is much to be respected in regards to the "Dominican code." Not everything the Sisters do are meant to be discussed out in the open, most especially the types of penances they do. It's sort of like our own families. Some things are meant to be kept within the family...when you get to be a Nashville Dominican, most of these questions will be answered within the proper time and place...

in case some of you don't know what the "Dominican Code" is, it's that respectful privacy towards the traditions and customs of a Dominican community that should only be known by the members of said community. If everyone knew beforehand what happens to them within the postulant year, their 1st year as novice, 2nd year as novice, etcetera, then the joyful surprises would disappear. Penances are part of these "joyful surprises..." :topsy:

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1735657' date='Dec 26 2008, 12:43 AM']penances and such as that are discussed within the community. I love this thread, but at the same time, there is much to be respected in regards to the "Dominican code." Not everything the Sisters do are meant to be discussed out in the open, most especially the types of penances they do. It's sort of like our own families. Some things are meant to be kept within the family...when you get to be a Nashville Dominican, most of these questions will be answered within the proper time and place...

in case some of you don't know what the "Dominican Code" is, it's that respectful privacy towards the traditions and customs of a Dominican community that should only be known by the members of said community. If everyone knew beforehand what happens to them within the postulant year, their 1st year as novice, 2nd year as novice, etcetera, then the joyful surprises would disappear. Penances are part of these "joyful surprises..." :topsy:[/quote]

Great reminder, thanks! And so so true. The wonder, unknowingness, even "mystery" of it all makes it all very exciting! Something important to keep in mind! :)

DominicanPhilosophy

Again, very true, and something it is godo to be reminded of. Sorry about all this - i'm 2 for 2 lol.

+JMJD

Edited by DominicanPhilosophy

I was curious about the sisters view towards the Tridentine mass. Have they ever used this form or are they open to it and do they ever incorporate latin into the mass or in their daily prayers.

Pax :)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1736312' date='Dec 27 2008, 08:19 PM']I was curious about the sisters view towards the Tridentine mass. Have they ever used this form or are they open to it and do they ever incorporate latin into the mass or in their daily prayers.

Pax :)[/quote]

I know less about Dominicans than a pebble on a polluted beach, but wouldn't they rather be interested in the ancient Dominican rite of Mass? That would be such COOL BEANS!

Does anyone happen to know at what time those retreats start and end? I know that the next one is from January 7th to January 11th but I wasn't sure about the times. (The information that I need hasn't come in the mail yet and I need to figure out plane tickets.)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1736362' date='Dec 27 2008, 08:21 PM']I know less about Dominicans than a pebble on a polluted beach, but wouldn't they rather be interested in the ancient Dominican rite of Mass? That would be such COOL BEANS![/quote]

You mean, that rite which thinks the Tridentines are modernistic and copycats to boot? :)

A Yearning Heart

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1736482' date='Dec 28 2008, 10:43 AM']Does anyone happen to know at what time those retreats start and end? I know that the next one is from January 7th to January 11th but I wasn't sure about the times. (The information that I need hasn't come in the mail yet and I need to figure out plane tickets.)[/quote]

[quote name='frenchfry' post='1736540' date='Dec 28 2008, 12:06 PM']You need to arrive and leave between 1 and 4 pm both times. If you're going on the retreat, I will see you there!! :D So excited.[/quote]

oh wow! I'm coming too! Nice to know a PM group is going :D
Awesome stuff.
:D :D :D
I can't stop smiling. :D

Edited by A Yearning Heart

Guest sisterrat

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1716957' date='Dec 2 2008, 11:07 PM']Hey VS Pham,

Well, I am pretty set right now on graduating a year earlier. Nashville, of course, is where I think I'm called. So, I have a few questions about them-and some are also being asked by my guidance counselor. I know some of you have experience and knowledge of their community and I was hopin you guys could answer some of them. Here they are:

Does Nashville have a dowry? If so, how much?
What things do you have to bring with you when you are a postulant?
Are the classes only taken at the Motherhouse the first year?
How far in advance do you have to request an application in order to enter the same year you request it?
How are the retreats? Is it better to schedule a private weekend retreat or go on the pre-planned ones?

And this is more of an opinion type of thing: So, I'm planning right now to graduate when I am seventeen, and a junior in high school. You have to be a junior in high school to attend their retreats. Do you think, in my circumstances, that they would allow me to go on a retreat next year instead of when I am a junior? And yes, I have talked to Sister Mary Emily about this possibilty, although I have not expressed to her my retreat dilema. I don't want to pester her if you know what I mean ;)

Thanks so much Pham! I need some of this info for my guidance counselor to give her a better idea of what I want to do with my life because she isn't Catholic and doesn't understand this whole process yet. But, she is definetly open to what I want to do :D
In Christ,
Maria Faustina[/quote]

I believe if you check with Nashville you'll find that you're required to pay a monthly board fee, at least for the first year. I don't want to state what the amount was last I heard because it may have increased, but do check, because you (or your family) will want to plan for this.

Edited by sisterrat