An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some More Nashville Questions

Maria Faustina

[quote name='A Yearning Heart' post='1736695' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:51 PM']oh wow! I'm coming too! Nice to know a PM group is going :D
Awesome stuff.
:D :D :D
I can't stop smiling. :D[/quote]

Was gonna but now... Well, weird and embarassing story. Sorry. I might get to actually go to the May retreat or for a weekend visit. Maybe next year I can rustle up some Benedictine College girls to come with me for a weekend.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='sisterrat' post='1737057' date='Dec 28 2008, 07:05 PM']I believe if you check with Nashville you'll find that you're required to pay a monthly board fee, at least for the first year. I don't want to state what the amount was last I heard because it may have increased, but do check, because you (or your family) will want to plan for this.[/quote]

Ok thanks! Yeah... definetly something I will probably have to start setting aside money for.

dowry? i've never even heard that term used in religious life until today. must be a female thing.. i mean it does make sense, the bride of Christ and all.. and i've always viewed my visiting communities as a kind of "courting" my spouse kind of thing.. "do i like you", "do you like me", "ok let's hang out", "can i call you?" :P

in any case the examples mentioned seem so minor. a few hundred bucks.. i bet we could easily raise up the funds on this board alone if needed. God has lots of money!

VeniteAdoremus

Quite a few communities still have it, even though most abolished it by now. But there's a male equivalent too - I believe the ICK seminarians have to pay for room and board as well.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1738648' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:00 AM']Quite a few communities still have it, even though most abolished it by now. But there's a male equivalent too - I believe the ICK seminarians have to pay for room and board as well.[/quote]
While I've not done an extensive survey or study, it seems to be more common in women's communities than in men's. But just as VA said, I can think of a few provinces of Dominican men here in the US that require a financial contribution at the start of novitiate. And yes, "my" community asks that I pay room and board for the first year.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='shortnun' post='1747776' date='Jan 10 2009, 04:45 AM']While I've not done an extensive survey or study, it seems to be more common in women's communities than in men's. But just as VA said, I can think of a few provinces of Dominican men here in the US that require a financial contribution at the start of novitiate. And yes, "my" community asks that I pay room and board for the first year.[/quote]

"My" community just sent me a mail that they're hunting for a bed for me :) (My old knee trouble came back during my last visit because the bed was too short.)

Yes, this is completely off-topic, I know, but... :love:

I don't know any communities here who ask for room and board, but that might be because my country has about one answered vocation a year on average.