An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some More Nashville Questions

Maria Faustina

lol yeah, i definitely am. i was there this weekend, and I'm going back for the vocations retreat in january! I may be wrong, but don't you live kind of close to them? Do you realize how lucky you are???

Maria Faustina

[quote name='frenchfry' post='1723818' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:06 AM']lol yeah, i definitely am. i was there this weekend, and I'm going back for the vocations retreat in january! I may be wrong, but don't you live kind of close to them? Do you realize how lucky you are???[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don't live close to the Motherhouse, but I do live in a city where the sisters have one of their "missions" where the sisters teach at my old elementary & middle school. They are the best thing to ever happen to me! They made me soo much more active on the faith, and frankly, were the ones who made me fall totally head over heels for Christ!!! I think God is asking me to do the same things the Dominicans did for me by becoming one of them. I never have been to Nashville, but everytime I think about it, I think of it as my future home! I finally get to go home for the first time ever this summer to go to first and final vows, and to see my soul sistah DominicanPhilosophy, who is also discerning a call to the Nashville Domincans :)

That is so beautiful! They do tend to have that effect on people - I'm sure it's because they are so in love with Christ themselves! I am sure that the Motherhouse will be even more wonderful than you expect...I know it was for me, and I expected a lot. :) lol I actually heard about them from someone accepted to enter in 2009...she's not even a postulant and she's getting vocations! And some of them were at my school for a conference, then I got to visit! I played hockey with the novitiate.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='frenchfry' post='1723869' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:47 AM']That is so beautiful! They do tend to have that effect on people - I'm sure it's because they are so in love with Christ themselves! I am sure that the Motherhouse will be even more wonderful than you expect...I know it was for me, and I expected a lot. :) lol I actually heard about them from someone accepted to enter in 2009...she's not even a postulant and she's getting vocations! And some of them were at my school for a conference, then I got to visit! I played hockey with the novitiate.[/quote]

wow that is awesome!!! those sisters are pretty mean athletes ;) you should see Sister John Thomas play football..man! lol Hockey must have been hilarious!

DominicanPhilosophy

One of our sisters broke her pinky finger during an intense faculty-versus-students dodgeball match a few months ago, I know of a sister who sprained [maybe broke] her ankle playing soccer last year, and I've gotten thrown on the ground in basketball against a trio of ND's. INTENSE lol!

A Yearning Heart

[quote name='frenchfry' post='1723818' date='Dec 10 2008, 05:06 PM']lol yeah, i definitely am. i was there this weekend, and I'm going back for the vocations retreat in january![/quote]

Far out! What a smalllll world, me too!! That is just too awesome =D

DominicanPhilosophy

Does anyone know if the sisters do penances? Like, [i]The Sound of Music[/i]-style with kissing the floor after arguments. I don't think they do, and I probably would've seen or heard about it before if they do, but I've always wondered that. They do make us kiss our shield at school if we step on it, and we them, but that's a tradition thing lol!

Also, unless one were to receive special permission or something, are retreats available to high-school juniors and up, 17 year olds and up, or junior or 17 - whichever comes first? This year, posters at school say 17, but last year they said "junior" without any age ranges. I should really ask, but I get so caught up in school stuff and don't want to go around declaring that I have interest in the community and religious life..although that's evident anyway, I'm sure lol!

JMJD+

Lol since we're asking our random questions, I wanted to know about visit days/trips home for the sisters. I know families have a few visit days a year to see those in the novitiate - do you know if everyone has the same four days, so everyone's there at once, or if there's a range? Same for sisters going home - do they all go on the same week, or dispersed throughout the summer? Also, do sisters go home for things like weddings, funerals, mother in the hospital, etc.?

Oh - and I know that some orders of sisters wear sort of a wedding ring. Do you know if the ND's have something like that, or is it more for those without habits?

Lol, one more. I know the vow of poverty takes different forms in different communities. In some the sisters have personal stipends monthly or yearly, in some everything is provided for, or something in between. Anyone know how this works in Nashville?

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='frenchfry' post='1727873' date='Dec 14 2008, 06:02 PM']Lol since we're asking our random questions, I wanted to know about visit days/trips home for the sisters. I know families have a few visit days a year to see those in the novitiate - do you know if everyone has the same four days, so everyone's there at once, or if there's a range? Same for sisters going home - do they all go on the same week, or dispersed throughout the summer? Also, do sisters go home for things like weddings, funerals, mother in the hospital, etc.?

Oh - and I know that some orders of sisters wear sort of a wedding ring. Do you know if the ND's have something like that, or is it more for those without habits?

Lol, one more. I know the vow of poverty takes different forms in different communities. In some the sisters have personal stipends monthly or yearly, in some everything is provided for, or something in between. Anyone know how this works in Nashville?[/quote]

The there are a range of visiting days, at least for the novitiate, that Sisters can choose from. The postulants get a week home visit before receiving the habit, and I think they all go home the same week. I think the home visit days/weeks for the professed Sisters are just dispersed as fits the Sister and their family.

Their order does not wear rings, but there are some active orders who do, and many cloistered orders that do.

Not exactly sure about the stipend question.

DominicanPhilosophy

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' post='1728326' date='Dec 15 2008, 01:01 PM']The there are a range of visiting days, at least for the novitiate, that Sisters can choose from. The postulants get a week home visit before receiving the habit, and I think they all go home the same week. I think the home visit days/weeks for the professed Sisters are just dispersed as fits the Sister and their family.

Their order does not wear rings, but there are some active orders who do, and many cloistered orders that do.

Not exactly sure about the stipend question.[/quote]

The sisters, I believe, receive all things in community as they need them. They never see their paychecks, though if a sister were ill, she'd probably use some of her "dowry" money that she entered with; if that ran out, the community would pay, and the community relies on the generosity of others [as well as the teaching profession]. That's the only time I can think of an individual sister getting a stipend. Oh, and with school trips related to her teaching job or her own education, the sisters are given some spending money - not for random souvenirs or anything, though, unless it would be suitable for using in a classroom environment or for the good of the community. ^_^

Any insight on the previous questions?

+JMJD

Edited by DominicanPhilosophy

Great to know! Just my opinion, but I think that the retreat thing is more of a general guideline than some sort of unbreakable rule, so I'm sure that a sixteen year old junior would be able to go, especially if there were a compelling reason not to wait. I think that they take people's individual needs into account with all the rules that they have. For bringing stuff, someone mentioned books, but one of the postulants told me that Sr. Mary Emily advised her not to bring books at first because they already have so many, and then to bring anything they didn't have back from her postulant visit home.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='frenchfry' post='1729301' date='Dec 16 2008, 01:39 AM']Great to know! Just my opinion, but I think that the retreat thing is more of a general guideline than some sort of unbreakable rule, so I'm sure that a sixteen year old junior would be able to go, especially if there were a compelling reason not to wait. I think that they take people's individual needs into account with all the rules that they have. For bringing stuff, someone mentioned books, but one of the postulants told me that Sr. Mary Emily advised her not to bring books at first because they already have so many, and then to bring anything they didn't have back from her postulant visit home.[/quote]
Wow that makes me feel so much better now. Hopefully, then I'll be able to attend the retreat next year when I'm sixteen, but I'll still be a sophomore, but maybe Sister Mary Emily will cut me some slack ;)

DominicanPhilosophy

[quote name='frenchfry' post='1729301' date='Dec 16 2008, 12:39 AM']Great to know! Just my opinion, but I think that the retreat thing is more of a general guideline than some sort of unbreakable rule, so I'm sure that a sixteen year old junior would be able to go, especially if there were a compelling reason not to wait. I think that they take people's individual needs into account with all the rules that they have. For bringing stuff, someone mentioned books, but one of the postulants told me that Sr. Mary Emily advised her not to bring books at first because they already have so many, and then to bring anything they didn't have back from her postulant visit home.[/quote]

Thanks for the insight! That all makes sense. As soon as I am in the appropriate situation to ask, I think I will, and I don't want to risk being allowed to go on a retreat and then having it fill up! :topsy:

+JMJD

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1730105' date='Dec 16 2008, 11:26 PM']Wow that makes me feel so much better now. Hopefully, then I'll be able to attend the retreat next year when I'm sixteen, but I'll still be a sophomore, but maybe Sister Mary Emily will cut me some slack ;)[/quote]

If you're graduating a year early, you could make the argument that you will be a junior. :)

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

My advice for you each who are young and longing to go on retreat/enter/etc is to be patient. It will all happen in the timing He desires! I know it is extremely difficult to be patient at times, especially in these matters of the true depths of your heart, but they are necessary and very well are according to His very specific plan for you.

If you are asked to wait to enter, or wait to go on retreat, or whatever, trust that this is from Him. And believe me--these Sisters know what they're doing! Have faith in them too, for they have been doing this for nearly 150 years. And, you'd think they get some beautiful enlightenment from their Divine Spouse! :-)

In the mean time, let your love for Him grow daily deeper as your longing for Him increases. The greater your patience or the longer He might be asking you to wait--the sweeter your love for Him will be and the greater your understanding and appreciation of it all will be the time He does call you there--God willing!

Abandon your heart to His Divine Providence, and live for the present moment always! Dream your dreams of Love, but never forget that all the grace you need is right here in the present moment.

You are known with an infinite knowledge and loved with an infinite love.
Praised be Jesus Christ!