An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best/worst In Convent Food

dominicansoul

[quote name='SevenSwans' timestamp='1306291353' post='2245598']
At a vocations pizza night at the Georgetown Visitation Convent in DC I had the BEST homemade pizza ever. It was delectable and made with lots of love. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

*bump*

I am in a strange mood right now and getting all teary remembering the pizza that Sister Tuesday Cook made on special occasions. She rolled out the crust really thin on 3'x2' baking trays, and piled on yummy tomato sauce, fresh vegetables from the garden, and coagulated milk from the farm. It always won over even the most eminent guests at the monastery. One of my best memories is looking down to the end of the table and seeing a very distinguished German abbess stuffing her face with Sister's pizza!

... Sigh ... :cry4:

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327334137' post='2373778']
*bump*

I am in a strange mood right now and getting all teary remembering the pizza that Sister Tuesday Cook made on special occasions. She rolled out the crust really thin on 3'x2' baking trays, and piled on yummy tomato sauce, fresh vegetables from the garden, and coagulated milk from the farm. It always won over even the most eminent guests at the monastery. [b]One of my best memories is looking down to the end of the table and seeing a very distinguished German abbess stuffing her face with Sister's pizza![/b]

[/quote]

lol, I would have liked to have seen that. :)

I know. Thinking about the awful food they served in Queens and the funny things the Sisters did chokes me up lately.... :sad:

When I go to visit my PCPA nuns, I eat what they prepare. But when I was there last year, one of the sisters heard me say how I loved brussel sporuts and my husband hates the look/smell of them.. So....when I came to visit the next day there were brussell sprouts as part of our lunch. Sister Cook always makes good, wholesome food.

When I was in RL the best breakfast ever was on Sundays, - sausages, breakfast potatoes and scrambled eggs. On BIG Feastdays we also were served bacon and tomatoes.

The worst ever - lambs brains dipped in a batter and fried. Now that was a penance to eat!!!!

[quote name='MarieLynn' timestamp='1327346269' post='2373886']
The worst ever - lambs brains dipped in a batter and fried. Now that was a penance to eat!!!!
[/quote]

:twitch:

Hmm from my recent visit I can't say that anything was truely bad. There was some really good things though. Fresh fruit at every meal! I love fruit and veggies so that made me so happy. One night we had fish, most of it was some type of white fish including a few small whole fish. I was kinda skeptical about it but I ended up taking one of the little whole fishes. I needn't have worried. The fish was soooo good, cooked perfectly and the meat had that wonderful "sweet" taste. It turns out that one of the Sisters' benefactors lives on a lake and often sends them fresh fish. I think they said the fish had been caught that morning. Yum yum!
The sisters also make their own yogurt. It can be a bit tart but add in a little sugar and some of the homemade granola it makes for a lovely breakfast!

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1327349860' post='2373930']
Hmm from my recent visit I can't say that anything was truely bad. There was some really good things though. Fresh fruit at every meal! I love fruit and veggies so that made me so happy. One night we had fish, most of it was some type of white fish including a few small whole fish. I was kinda skeptical about it but I ended up taking one of the little whole fishes. I needn't have worried. The fish was soooo good, cooked perfectly and the meat had that wonderful "sweet" taste. It turns out that one of the Sisters' benefactors lives on a lake and often sends them fresh fish. I think they said the fish had been caught that morning. Yum yum!
The sisters also make their own yogurt. It can be a bit tart but add in a little sugar and some of the homemade granola it makes for a lovely breakfast!
[/quote][quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327334137' post='2373778']
*bump*

I am in a strange mood right now and getting all teary remembering the pizza that Sister Tuesday Cook made on special occasions. She rolled out the crust really thin on 3'x2' baking trays, and piled on yummy tomato sauce, fresh vegetables from the garden, and coagulated milk from the farm. It always won over even the most eminent guests at the monastery. One of my best memories is looking down to the end of the table and seeing a very distinguished German abbess stuffing her face with Sister's pizza!

[/quote][quote name='SevenSwans' timestamp='1306291353' post='2245598']
At a vocations pizza night at the Georgetown Visitation Convent in DC I had the BEST homemade pizza ever. It was delectable and made with lots of love. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Wow! It sounds like the Sisters make a lot of home made stuff! Our Sisters only have processed food it seems! I've never seen the Sisters actually cook something when I now think about it.....

When I visited the RSMs in November, they had some GREAT food! This is what I remember:

Friday night (upon arrival):
We went to the professed Sisters' house and they had cooked a scrumptious meal:
-Baked seasoned tilapia (I went back for a second helping)
-Green beans
-Wild rice
-Rolls w/ butter
-Key Lime Pie for dessert (since it was the Vocation Director's name day)

Lunch on Saturday:
We went to the postulant house for Adoration and they had made a fabulous meal:
-Lasagna
-Salad
-Cherry Pie for dessert

Dinner on Saturday:
I think this was the BEST meal we had. We went to the novice house and had:
-Beef Short Ribs (so tender!; one of the novices' aunts had donated several pounds of meat since she owns a farm)
-Portabella mushrooms
-Basmati Rice with herbs
-Broccoli and Cauliflower (I don't eat cauliflower so I picked out the broccoli)
-Our choice of Pumpkin or Cherry Pie with a side of Vanilla Ice Cream (I choose pumpkin with it being so close to Thanksgiving)

Sunday brunch at the retreat guest house:
-Eggs
-Maple sausage
-Toast w/ butter
-Grapes and bananas were offered, as well

Sunday dinner:
Another retreatant and I went with the VD back to Saginaw since we were flying out the next day:
-Spaghetti with meatballs and marinara sauce (got a second helping of this, too)
-Steamed zucchini and broccoli
-Salad
-Rolls w/ butter
-Ice Cream Sundaes for dessert (we made them ourselves; you should have seen how much ice cream had been donated! :hehe2:)

If there is one thing I learned it's that Sisters in the RSMs never go hungry. They have plenty of benefactors so they eat really healthy portions of homemade meals. I would love to have the Short Ribs again. Those were AMAZING! :drool:

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1327383535' post='2374296']
lil mon, i hope you like pizza, cos thats pretty much it... :|
[/quote]

I could go for some pizza right now. I haven't had any "real" food besides soup, crackers, and toast since Monday morning. :(

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1327380834' post='2374289']
When I visited the RSMs in November, they had some GREAT food! This is what I remember:

Friday night (upon arrival):
We went to the professed Sisters' house and they had cooked a scrumptious meal:
-Baked seasoned tilapia (I went back for a second helping)
-Green beans
-Wild rice
-Rolls w/ butter
-Key Lime Pie for dessert (since it was the Vocation Director's name day)

Lunch on Saturday:
We went to the postulant house for Adoration and they had made a fabulous meal:
-Lasagna
-Salad
-Cherry Pie for dessert

Dinner on Saturday:
I think this was the BEST meal we had. We went to the novice house and had:
-Beef Short Ribs (so tender!; one of the novices' aunts had donated several pounds of meat since she owns a farm)
-Portabella mushrooms
-Basmati Rice with herbs
-Broccoli and Cauliflower (I don't eat cauliflower so I picked out the broccoli)
-Our choice of Pumpkin or Cherry Pie with a side of Vanilla Ice Cream (I choose pumpkin with it being so close to Thanksgiving)

Sunday brunch at the retreat guest house:
-Eggs
-Maple sausage
-Toast w/ butter
-Grapes and bananas were offered, as well

Sunday dinner:
Another retreatant and I went with the VD back to Saginaw since we were flying out the next day:
-Spaghetti with meatballs and marinara sauce (got a second helping of this, too)
-Steamed zucchini and broccoli
-Salad
-Rolls w/ butter
-Ice Cream Sundaes for dessert (we made them ourselves; you should have seen how much ice cream had been donated! :hehe2:)

If there is one thing I learned it's that Sisters in the RSMs never go hungry. They have plenty of benefactors so they eat really healthy portions of homemade meals. I would love to have the Short Ribs again. Those were AMAZING! :drool:
[/quote]

Woooow... it sounds delicious, all of it. I can't believe they eat so well!