An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best/worst In Convent Food

dominicansoul

DiscerningCatholic

Awkward bump, but I read through this and found it hilarious, because here Lil's worried about the retreat food and I barely ate a thing at my retreat. (I think Lil can actually back this up.) :hehe:

I hope they have chocolate at the retreat :|

They did at this just past one. :|

The first time I visited a monastery it was in northern Scotland and I arrived during Vespers, in the snow and the dark in December to hear gregorian chant echoing from the church. All very idyllic until I realised that supper (as it was Advent) comprised boiled carrots and camomile tea.

The first time I visited a monastery it was in northern Scotland and I arrived during Vespers, in the snow and the dark in December to hear gregorian chant echoing from the church. All very idyllic until I realised that supper (as it was Advent) comprised boiled carrots and camomile tea.

This sounds like the intro to a very good book. Just saying.

The monastery I'm now discerning with usually have very nice food (their French heritage, I'm sure ;) ), but the combination of scrambled eggs on toast with stewed apples was something of a shock.

DiscerningCatholic

The first day I was there, the sisters brought bag lunches for all of the girls getting there early for us to eat on the way back from the airport. I didn't eat mine; I felt bad, but I didn't feel like eating. For dinner, we had some dish with potatoes and tomatoes and stuff. It was good, but I only ate the tiniest bit because I was so excited; I didn't eat breakfast or lunch that day and I didn't really eat for the whole weekend.

And then we went to this little tiny diner about 10 minutes away from the academy for breakfast the next morning. We pull up in two 15-passenger vans and then two sisters get out of each one... and then two retreatants...and then six...and then ten...and then 12... :lol: So we stroll into the diner and proceed to basically take it over and everyone's staring like :blink: :twitch: :o "A nun! No...two! No...FOUR!" That was rather amusing. I ate two bites of a cinnamon roll and one sausage. :|  The poor sisters probably thought I was starving myself.

I really don't remember what else we ate, because, like I said, I basically didn't eat the first day we got there. I do know that for breakfast on Sunday, we had some bizarre concoction that I believe the sisters called "egg strata" or something. It wasn't too bad. I didn't know what exactly I was eating, but whatever. I'm not really picky about food unless it has a weird texture, like bananas or canned green beans. I even have trouble with jello. It's gotten better as I've gotten older, but I still struggle with some foods. :hmmm:

Apparently, Sr. Mary Joseph (it could have been another sister; I'm not the best at names) was in charge of the kitchen for the weekend. One of the sisters called her up to thank her and Sr. MJ says, "It's okay, guys...I just planned the meals and then bossed everyone else around for the rest of the weekend." :lol:

mysisterisalittlesister

I think the majority of the meals I just ate at the LSP home in Queens was stale raisin bran :|

It seems like every time I have lunch at the novitiate, they have chicken cordon bleu. Every. Stinkin. Time. Must have had a huge donation :)

DiscerningCatholic

EW. I hate raisin bran. :x  Chicken cordon bleu is okay...but all things in moderation... :|

OnlySunshine

I still miss the vegetable soup made by the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus.  That was really good and definitely NOT from a can!  I had it almost 5 years ago and I still think about it from time to time.  :)

we had some bizarre concoction that I believe the sisters called "egg strata" or something. It wasn't too bad. I didn't know what exactly I was eating, but whatever.

It is definitely not bad. Here's a "rich" recipe for egg strata: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bacon-egg-and-cheese-strata/

It consists of layering milk-soaked leftover (day-old) bread with vegetables/meat and then pouring over battered eggs and baking to form a casserole. It's a common way to use up leftovers. And is delicious. :-)

It seems like every time I have lunch at the novitiate, they have chicken cordon bleu. Every. Stinkin. Time. Must have had a huge donation :)

Costco sells ginormous boxes of individually wrapped chicken cordon bleu servings. That's probably what you got. They're pretty good, IMO.

BTW: The Visitation Sisters of Rockville, Virginia have amazing variety at every meal, and most of it is pretty excellent. Sister Corazon makes a fine egg foo yung on meatless Fridays. A lot of the food is from processed ingredients (boxes, cans, etc.), but she really "dresses them up" very nicely. Those sisters have a major jelly bean fetish, btw. ;-)

The Benedictines of Greensburg, Pennsylvania... It was variable. They take mostly donations and, though I never saw anything moldy or gross, they did have some "unusual" items. Lots of gelatinized things... Blech. But then, I am very picky about cold salads. They were also scarce on protein.

The CDS sisters of Canton, Ohio had wonderful meals. I only ate with them once; the rest of the five days I was there I ate together with their elderly residents. (They run a nursing home.) Both ate extremely well. I couldn't tell if the food was processed or not, but it was certainly healthy and well balanced.

Does anyone know about the food at the Monastic Family of Bethlehem in NY?

Edited by curiousing

Julie de Sales

I recently visited some sisters and I noticed that they didn't reheat the food, they were eating it right from the refrigerator. It was hard to eat cold salad, dessert, etc. and I don't think it's healthy either.