An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Are You In Your Religious Discernment?

mariaassunta

OnlySunshine

Hello! I've been actively discerning for almost 2 years now. If 6 months from now I still feel God calling me and it is His will, I plan on asking for the papers to enter. Could someone who has gone through this process offer some advice? I would be asking for papers while I'm home from college and am worried that I won't be able to go through the necessary physical and psychiatric examinations before I leave towards the end of January. (I won't be back until summer). Thanks!

This would be a good thing to discuss with the Vocation Director of the community you desire to apply to.  Each community is different and handles the process differently.  If you are in school, they'll perhaps work with you on allowing you to get tested when you have time off for school breaks.  In my experience, psychological testing requires 2 days, but it may be different for you.  The VD will know way more than anyone here and they are there to help you in any way they can.  :)

OnlySunshine

Entering in 9 Days! The day of the Nativity of St John the Baptist!

:)

The SSVM allow younger aspirants?  That's really interesting to me.  I only knew of the Benedictines of Mary in Missouri and some Carmelites in Alexandria, SD that allow 17 and up. 

You'll be in my prayers.  What a neat day to enter!  :)

young_and_faithful_

Well its just that I graduated high school a year early, it was a little bit more paper work for me but I was like any other applicant who finished high school, many other communities that I met were also accepting of my age as long as I finished highschool first :)

Thank you! Yes, Saint John the Baptist has a special place in my vocation journey!! :D

OnlySunshine

Well its just that I graduated high school a year early, it was a little bit more paper work for me but I was like any other applicant who finished high school, many other communities that I met were also accepting of my age as long as I finished highschool first :)

Thank you! Yes, Saint John the Baptist has a special place in my vocation journey!! :D

I saw on their website (in a picture) that they have an older postulant.  It's nice to know that they are accepting of all ages.  :)

MargaretTeresa

Just got back from a live-in with the FSP. A lot to digest... but oh, I'm missing them.

AveMariaPurissima

Entering in 9 Days! The day of the Nativity of St John the Baptist!

:)

So excited for you!! :D

I've been discerning the last six years, and for the last year with one particular community. I've already got "one foot in the door" i.e. I'm at a particular stage of discernment with them such that I am, and I'm sort of not, a member of the community. I will not reveal the stage I'm at for the sake of discretion. For those of you who know me and know where I am, please respect this decision not to say anything publicly. I have delayed entry into the next stage of formation in order to pursue other plans, which in conversation with the Sisters, we felt would be beneficial for me to have for the future. I know it can be hard to think you have to wait - for me, I wanted to be a Religious since I was 13/14, but I wasn't even Catholic then...despite having wanted to be since I was 3! I now have to wait at least 2 years, if not longer before I will even be considered for the next stage. The simple fact is that I'm not ready. I need time to grow. To grow in love for God, to grow in maturity, to grow intellectually, spiritually, emotionally etc. This time is a time to really discern, with a listening ear, whether God wants me to be with this congregation, or whether He wants me elsewhere. I am pretty sure this is where He sent me and that He has put me into their hands for good reason, but only patience and time will tell. 

Love and prayer for all of you and your discerning journeys,

Kim Lee

I've been discerning the last six years, and for the last year with one particular community. I've already got "one foot in the door" i.e. I'm at a particular stage of discernment with them such that I am, and I'm sort of not, a member of the community. I will not reveal the stage I'm at for the sake of discretion. For those of you who know me and know where I am, please respect this decision not to say anything publicly. I have delayed entry into the next stage of formation in order to pursue other plans, which in conversation with the Sisters, we felt would be beneficial for me to have for the future. I know it can be hard to think you have to wait - for me, I wanted to be a Religious since I was 13/14, but I wasn't even Catholic then...despite having wanted to be since I was 3! I now have to wait at least 2 years, if not longer before I will even be considered for the next stage. The simple fact is that I'm not ready. I need time to grow. To grow in love for God, to grow in maturity, to grow intellectually, spiritually, emotionally etc. This time is a time to really discern, with a listening ear, whether God wants me to be with this congregation, or whether He wants me elsewhere. I am pretty sure this is where He sent me and that He has put me into their hands for good reason, but only patience and time will tell. 

Love and prayer for all of you and your discerning journeys,

Kim Lee

Sounds good. Unfortunately all that stuff about waiting and prudence and sowing seeds is all true! <_<

• 2 weeks later...
ToJesusMyHeart

There are 8 confirmed new postulants entering the Sisters of Life on September 6, 2014, but a number of others are still in application and the group may be as many as 16. :)

Keep us in your prayers as we spend these last few months in the world preparing for entrance.

Thanks!

Entering the Cistercians as a regular oblate in the fall. :evil:

(That makes it about 4 months' room for something to change.)

A few weeks ago I visited a beautiful community!

I love their joy and how dedicated they are to protecting and enhancing the value of life. 

Prayers would be wonderful!

chrysostom

Ahh this is the bestest part of Phatmass! So so many people trying out religious life! Prayers for all of you!

No update for me but it's going to be several years anyhow.

Entering the Cistercians as a regular oblate in the fall. :evil:

Cistercians are SO COOL.