An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Are You In Your Religious Discernment?

mariaassunta

Anastasia13

I've never really discerned. I know I need to be certain soon about marriage. Any thoughts?

brandelynmarie

The easiest way to start is to look at what you are drawn to...Have you always wanted a family & wanted to serve God that way? Do you desire to give yourself to God as a religious? A hermit? CV? Do you prefer living flexibly as a single person?

Start where you are & pray & read & journal & especially listen...what brings joy & peace to you?

I think this will give you a starting point...discerning is not always easy as so many can attest to on VS...many of us have very winding roads during our journeys...

Just don't rush into anything, even if you feel like you are running our of time...trust in Him...many prayers, chica. :)

TheresaThoma

Starting to make plans for my 3rd visit with the community. I have also been meeting with someone to help me in my discernment.

I am back in temporary vows again and have been since April 2. I am one of the two gardeners and am trying to bring about a half acre of flowerbeds back from the dead. I will also be taking over the newsletter Real Soon Now. Rumor has it that I will also be looking after the Holy Website soon.

TheresaThoma

Saretz!!!! Good to hear from you. I am glad to hear that you are back in vows. 

Good luck with the flower beds, our flowers around here just get eaten by the deer. I'm sure the newsletter and the website will be awesome!

Staretz!!!!  Very good news indeed!  I'm still not sure which monastery you are at... did you want to share that with us?

littlesister

Staretz, welcome back..again.  Wonderful news!  Stay with us as you can.  Your perseverance is an encouragement to many of those who are behind us on the road.  Good luck with resurrecting that garden.  There's nothing quite like seeing roses come to life again.

I am back in temporary vows again and have been since April 2. I am one of the two gardeners and am trying to bring about a half acre of flowerbeds back from the dead. I will also be taking over the newsletter Real Soon Now. Rumor has it that I will also be looking after the Holy Website soon.

You must be telepathic. I was just wondering about you the other day, and hoped you were doing well.

I am at Our Lady of Guadalupe Olivetan Benedictine abbey near Pecos NM. It used to be one of the primary hubs for the catholic charismatic renewal movement but the new superior is trying to put the community on a more solidly monastic footing. It has been wobbly for a few years. The downside is that the average age of the seniors is over 75 and that I am the younges of the juniors at 51. Fr. Aidan is trying to move the community along more traditional lines. It does have a school for spiritual direction but it is heavily Jungian in its focus.

For all of you who had so kind words for me: With God's help I think I managed some reconciliation with the priest. I think we're at peace again now and that makes me feeling much better for the future. It turned out not to be unsolvable. It won't become a trauma but it is going to heal.

brandelynmarie

I am at Our Lady of Guadalupe Olivetan Benedictine abbey near Pecos NM. It used to be one of the primary hubs for the catholic charismatic renewal movement but the new superior is trying to put the community on a more solidly monastic footing. It has been wobbly for a few years. The downside is that the average age of the seniors is over 75 and that I am the younges of the juniors at 51. Fr. Aidan is trying to move the community along more traditional lines. It does have a school for spiritual direction but it is heavily Jungian in its focus.

I am very happy for you Staretz...Brother Gardner & Web Master!  (Why don't we have a monk/brother emoticon :p?) 

I have a deep respect for Jung & studied him, but unfortunately his concepts of God are not very Catholic...but that is another story. It sounds like your community is undergoing transitions for the better. Peace be with you.

I have a deep respect for Jung & studied him, but unfortunately his concepts of God are not very Catholic

I was a little curious about how a Catholic community can be Jungian.

I'm starting a placement with the Jesuits on Monday, for a month, working on a project. I will be living in two different Jesuit houses over this time.  I'm really blessed for the opportunity.

I'm starting a placement with the Jesuits on Monday, for a month, working on a project. I will be living in two different Jesuit houses over this time.  I'm really blessed for the opportunity.

Hope you have a great time!