An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Are You In Your Religious Discernment?

mariaassunta

I'm currently filling out the second part of the application.  I'm in a slight predicament as mother dearest is holding me to my promise that I would not leave until a certain age, which is a year and a half from now :(  She feels that she can take care of me and keep me safe better than God.  Anyway, my SD says that he will pray that she will relieve me of my promise and it's okay if I have to take the physical exam twice.  (I'd rather not since it's a bit invasive but of course I'd be willing to).  So I figure I'll do the physical examination and psych test last.  The psych test, my hopeful future religious community will be paying for it and they mentioned that they'd want to do that near the end (in case I change my mind).  

My two letters of recommendations have been sent to the Monastery but my SD has not filled mine out as of yet.  Waiting for the application process to go through is fine with me, it's waiting for my mom to release me, would be quite bothersome.  Hopefully in God's most Holy Will, I won't have to bide by her time.  I guess in the end, her time may coincide with His duration.  May His Devine Will be done in all things!

Edited by Freedom

Just sent my very first mail to a spiritual director about discerning a religious vocation and I'm more nervous than I should ... but at least that gives me a reason to finally post something on here :wave:

But now I'm going to bed like normal people in my time zone did hours ago ...

Just sent my very first mail to a spiritual director about discerning a religious vocation and I'm more nervous than I should ... but at least that gives me a reason to finally post something on here :wave:

But now I'm going to bed like normal people in my time zone did hours ago ...

Welcome to Phatmass!!!  That initial contact is scary, but worth it. :) :) :)

I'm currently filling out the second part of the application.  I'm in a slight predicament as mother dearest is holding me to my promise that I would not leave until a certain age, which is a year and a half from now :(  She feels that she can take care of me and keep me safe better than God.  Anyway, my SD says that he will pray that she will relieve me of my promise and it's okay if I have to take the physical exam twice.  (I'd rather not since it's a bit invasive but of course I'd be willing to).  So I figure I'll do the physical examination and psych test last.  The psych test, my hopeful future religious community will be paying for it and they mentioned that they'd want to do that near the end (in case I change my mind).  

My two letters of recommendations have been sent to the Monastery but my SD has not filled mine out as of yet.  Waiting for the application process to go through is fine with me, it's waiting for my mom to release me, would be quite bothersome.  Hopefully in God's most Holy Will, I won't have to bide by her time.  I guess in the end, her time may coincide with His duration.  May His Devine Will be done in all things!

If you have to wait, you'll have something in common with Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity.... her mom made her wait until she was 21....

• 2 weeks later...

If you have to wait, you'll have something in common with Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity.... her mom made her wait until she was 21....

Yes I know, I'm reading her book now (when I don't have the dreadful flu).

• 1 month later...
Kayte Postle

Contacted a community yesterday. =) That's two that I have written, I might finally get to visit the first one sometime in late May!

Oh quick question, should I not expect a reply for the community I just wrote until after Easter? I'm pretty sure that it is standard for most communities to not answer email/mail during advent and lent, but just wanted to double check.

Contacted a community yesterday. =) That's two that I have written, I might finally get to visit the first one sometime in late May!

Oh quick question, should I not expect a reply for the community I just wrote until after Easter? I'm pretty sure that it is standard for most communities to not answer email/mail during advent and lent, but just wanted to double check.

I think it might depend on the community.  I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't hear anything, but then again... you might  

OnlySunshine

Most cloistered and contemplative orders wait to reply until after Easter.  My friend is a member of an active/contemplative Carmelite order and it's a general (though not universal) rule that they hold all mail during Lent until after Easter.  ;)

ah that means I won't hear from the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal till Easer..is this Easter Sunday or the whole of the Easter Season? lol

Most cloistered and contemplative orders wait to reply until after Easter.  My friend is a member of an active/contemplative Carmelite order and it's a general (though not universal) rule that they hold all mail during Lent until after Easter.  ;)

Even bills? :hehe2:

Kayte Postle

The community I contacted is contemplative/active, and they do have an presence on fb which I've seen them update a lot (although I don't know if I've seen them update during lent or advent). Oh well, I'll just wait and if I don't hear anything a week or two after Easter I'll email them again.

Thank you everyone for your replies!