An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unusual Personal Hygiene Practices

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

[quote name='Beatus' post='1858628' date='May 5 2009, 03:40 PM']In my defense, I SHOWED my priest the print outs from this thread. I will show him the one from the "Church Scholar."

I did not refer to the washing of holy habits, but the habits (as in the practice) of washing (as in bathing). I still do not find it appropriate to discuss if a nun washes only certain parts once or twice a month or what have you.

Someone did mention their monthly cycle as she announced that during her uppcoming retreat/live in she would be in the midst of it. I believe that is private information.

I am not an idiot. If a doctor does something for medical reasons, that does not invalidate one's purity (this speaks for men too) but my priest advised me that some people use certain things-products as a means of self abuse. I was just reporting.

As for my referral to Consecrated Virginity, that is what first brought to me to this website. I don't know how to find the thread, but it was very clearly said that one has to be a physical VIRGIN in order to receive the Sacramental. [b]That was on this website! [/b]Though I am not an adult and clearly thought of as being immature among other things, this is a subject I have thoroughly researched. [url="http://doihaveavocation.com/blog/archives/category/consecrated-virgins"]http://doihaveavocation.com/blog/archives/...ecrated-virgins[/url] is written by Therese Ivers a CANON LAWYER and she has a lot of information regarding this. I understand the difference between Consecrated Virgins living in the world and women who enter religious life and then receive the Rite. Not all communities Confer the Rite, though many believe that is the case.

Lastly, I do not believe that CROTCH is an appropriate or modest word (especially in referring to a nun) and it was used here. I suppose we just disagree on that word.

And again, I have news for everybody: I ended my post by repeating my priest's advice to me to continue learning, studying, spiritual reading and working on myself. I will continue to do that while you name call, accuse me of SLANDER (which I did not do!) and put me down. I will pray for you.

Beatus[/quote]

I think what you are neglecting to consider is the fact that the Church Scholars on this website have gone through years of school in Theology and are well versed in these matters. I think we forget that priests are human and make mistakes. No one is going to say that the priest you talked to meant to do harm, as that would be uncharitable. But it is my humble opinion that he was gravely misinformed. I do not wish to get into an argument with you, but I don't think anyone here was slandering you. No one called you any names, they were simply giving advice. I pray that you will heed their advice.

I will be praying for you as I see that you are discerning the priesthood. May God guide you in all matters.

InHisLove726

[quote name='Beatus' post='1858628' date='May 5 2009, 03:40 PM']Someone did mention their monthly cycle as she announced that during her uppcoming retreat/live in she would be in the midst of it. I believe that is private information.

Beatus[/quote]

I had to look as I remembered no such thing. Here is the post I believe you were refering to:

[quote]In a few weeks' I'm going for my long visit "inside". I suspect it'll go something like this (because I'm due whilst I'm there):

"Mother, do we use pads or tampons here? And where can I find them?"

Even though I'll probably bring my own things for this visit.

It's funny - my own mother and I never, ever had frank discussions about "sanitary matters" (unless you count being told to wash your hands a dozen times a day), and yet I don't have much of a problem just coming out and asking.

Mind you, at the moment I'm just longing to enter this community, and I figure that if I'm going to live there - it's enclosed - for the rest of my days, I'd better get clued up on where those and other necessaries are kept.[/quote]

She was referring to asking the mother about the products, not anything else. I think you misread the post.

StColette

[quote name='Beatus' post='1858628' date='May 5 2009, 03:40 PM']I did not refer to the washing of holy habits, but the habits (as in the practice) of washing (as in bathing). I still do not find it appropriate to discuss if a nun washes only certain parts once or twice a month or what have you.[/quote]

Sorry, that was my mistake. When you say habits and nuns I automatically associate the two.

[quote]Someone did mention their monthly cycle as she announced that during her uppcoming retreat/live in she would be in the midst of it. I believe that is private information.[/quote]

She said that she would bring her own things with her as to not be unprepared. She didn't go into details about her menstrual cycle. It's common sense that a lady her age would be having one. She will be bringing these things with her possibly because she would not feel comfortable asking one of the sisters for the necessary things.

[quote]I am not an idiot. If a doctor does something for medical reasons, that does not invalidate one's purity (this speaks for men too) but my priest advised me that some people use certain things-products as a means of self abuse. I was just reporting.[/quote]

No one called you an idiot. The way in which you spoke said that your priest said it was not good for women to use tampons and that it nullifies their virginity and invalidates their purity. You did not in any manner say that your priest said "some people" you made following general statement

[quote][b]He also told me, very strongly, that one of the items discussed (which someone mentioned after I talked to him) is not right for pure Catholics to use, much less advocate. He said it does indeed invalidate a woman's chastity (and he wondered if my reaction was to that idea?) and ruins her purity. [/b]He also said that for many of you who want to be Consecrated Virgins, [b]this totally and completely invalidates the state of virginity necessary for the Rite to be Conferred validily and licitly. [/b]Perhaps, he suggested, if some of you have engaged in this practice unknowingly, with bad advice from lax parents, you might be able to receive formal forgiveness and still be eligible but it would need permission from the Bishop.[/quote]

Your statement does not say "some people" it says "that one of the items discussed is not right for pure Catholics to use, much less advocate" and that use of this product ruins their purity and invalidates the state of virginity. Your statement comes across as saying, if you use those products you aren't a pure Catholic. And as I pointed out the use of tampons does not destroy one's virginity, and neither does masturbation if that's what you're hinting at by calling it self abuse.

[quote]As for my referral to Consecrated Virginity, that is what first brought to me to this website. I don't know how to find the thread, but it was very clearly said that one has to be a physical VIRGIN in order to receive the Sacramental. [b]That was on this website! [/b]Though I am not an adult and clearly thought of as being immature among other things, this is a subject I have thoroughly researched. [url="http://doihaveavocation.com/blog/archives/category/consecrated-virgins"]http://doihaveavocation.com/blog/archives/...ecrated-virgins[/url] is written by Therese Ivers a CANON LAWYER and she has a lot of information regarding this. I understand the difference between Consecrated Virgins living in the world and women who enter religious life and then receive the Rite. Not all communities Confer the Rite, though many believe that is the case.[/quote]

I did not say that you didn't know the difference, I pointed it out because many do not know that there's a difference between Consecrated Virgins and Religious Sisters/Nuns. I've actually written an email to the Consecrated Virgins Association about this to see what their rules are regarding those who because of past mistakes are no longer virgins but intend to remain chaste the rest of their lives.

If you want to find the thread you can use the Search option at the top of the screen, it is found above "New Messages" or underneath the menu bar.

[quote]Lastly, I do not believe that CROTCH is an appropriate or modest word (especially in referring to a nun) and it was used here. I suppose we just disagree on that word.[/quote]

I don't particularly care for the word crotch, but I don't find it that offensive. Read the posters original post, I don't see where it's referring to a nun. Nunsense defined what APC meant but made no reference to any religious person. I'm currently looking at Nunsense's post and I don't see where she used crotch in reference to a nun.

[quote]And again, I have news for everybody: I ended my post by repeating my priest's advice to me to continue learning, studying, spiritual reading and working on myself. I will continue to do that while you name call, accuse me of SLANDER (which I did not do!) and put me down. I will pray for you.[/quote]

I'm not sure who called you a name, I don't think I did. I do believe you have some more maturing to do before entering into the priesthood. You falsely stated that the ladies were saying how to use sanitary products. I did not see a single lady say how to use these products. And here again in your post you say that one of the girls was talking about a nun when she said something like crotch, which isn't true. In fact, she used men as her characters, and I don't think men are nuns ^_^ When you twist people's words or you read things into them that aren't there it can become slander, though technically it would be libel (written, Slander is spoken). It's misrepresenting what the person has said.

I'm glad that your priest advised you to continue learning, studying, etc. We are all called to continue growing and maturing, even older folks ;).