An Old School Catholic Message Board

Diff. In The Dominican Communities

TeresaBenedicta

AbsconditaInDeo

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1888583' date='Jun 11 2009, 07:16 PM']Just out of curiosity:

Does anyone know if their guidelines for family visitation, home visits, letters, etc differs between each community?[/quote]

:bump:

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Now that I've read it I'm wondering the same thing..

Maria Faustina

From the Nashville Dominican Website:
[quote]What is your relationship with your family after entering the convent?
Can you visit with them?
As a sister grows nearer to Christ in her days of formation, her love for her family deepens. The visits they have together and the letters they send become precious opportunities to share with one another on a deeper spiritual level. We have a great debt of gratitude for our families since from them we have been given life, love and the gift of our faith. With time and the power of God’s grace our relationships actually grow stronger. The hundredfold promised to those who leave everything to follow Christ also flows into our families.

At the beginning of formation, the sisters have scheduled visiting days three to four times each year, when their families come and see them at the Motherhouse. In May or June of the postulant year, the sister may go home at a designated time for a visit of five days. After the first four years of being in the convent, the sister may go home for a week each year. These visits become special opportunities for the sister and her family, a time that is treasured by all.

These regulations are based on solid religious practice that has shown itself to be effective through years of lived experience within the Church and specifically within our Congregation. They are intended to make our relationship with Christ the most primary one in our life. All others are to flow from that one Source.[/quote]

I imagine that the restrictions for seeing your family would be somewhat similar in Ann Arbor. I know that in Nashville, the sister's parents can visit her for a few days while she is on a mission in somewhere other than Nashville. And, the sisters in Nashville can write home twice a month with some kind of exception during Advent and Lent. If you write the sisters letters, they usually cannot respond to them due to the restrictions, unless they give you a response outside of the mail.

Well thats the best I have! Hope it helps :)

[quote name='DameAgnes' post='1866184' date='May 13 2009, 10:58 AM']The question of course is, will the "oldest" of the new nuns (figure 9-10 years in religious life) be sufficiently mature to be able to guide that "new" community? DSSME began with four sisters who each had three decades or more in religious life...I assume two of the foundresses would have to go help get another new community started. Not sayign anythign negative about it, but it seems like an awful lot to put relatively "new" nuns in charge of setting up a sister house.[/quote]

lol.... Both of OLAM's foundations have sent junior professed... I don't know about OP's, but for PCPA, while each foundation is autonomous, they're not sent out without any assistance from the monastery they left, at least until they're canonically established (5 Solemns, 8 total). Sr. Marie Andre, and the others in Phoenix have only been solemn professed for a few years, if I remember correctly, but they're doing very well. Of course its very PCPA style to start something without knowing what you're doing and just telling the Lord He better not let you mess it up if that's what He wants. :lol_roll: and He does! Because we really would mess it up if He didn't come through. Even Grace Marie, who has been a religious for a good 25 years, didn't feel like that made her more prepared to start a foundation (at least that was the impression I got). They just felt like that was what the Lord wanted them to do, and even though it might not have seemed like a smart move, the Lord still makes it happen. Again, that's two different communities, and contemplatives and actives are different in and of themselves. But in essence, I think it's the same. You can be qualified, or not be qualified, but ultimately it doesn't matter unless the Lord wants it.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1866224' date='May 13 2009, 12:10 PM']I agree. DSMME group gets pretty rowdy. (especially on the soccer field!) :lol: But when it comes to quiet and contemplation, the Sisters are pros.

I used to tell them, (and don't no one steal this, it's mine.. :lol:)

"Silence is Love holding It's breathe."

:) And we all felt it permeating our hearts and souls and the very walls of that house. God is abundant in those Sisters through and through.

as HE is in Nashville, (of course...)[/quote]

I don't know, I've met a Nashville OP's that was a BMX racer. They're there, I'm sure of it. They're just hidden. Lol.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1891249' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:18 AM']I don't know, I've met a Nashville OP's that was a BMX racer. They're there, I'm sure of it. They're just hidden. Lol.[/quote]

They are! Hahaa believe or not my Nashville Dominicans are very wild and rambunctious especially when they aren't around the mission's superior....;) haha!!!

They told me that they have pie eating contests sometimes on their mission...but I'm sure if they were serious LOL.

Two of them went to Nashville one time and they said that on the way back, they had all the windows down so the snow could fall in their car and had the heat turned all the way up..and were apparently rockin to the radio...hahaa!!!

But apparently my old teacher Sister John Thomas is quite a speed demon on the highway and she actually almost ran over my mom...but I won't ever tell her that ;)

The Nashville Dominicans are definetly pretty wild -they love to have fun!!!!

AbsconditaInDeo

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1893848' date='Jun 16 2009, 11:37 PM']The Nashville Dominicans are definetly pretty wild -they love to have fun!!!![/quote]

There is a facebook group that's dedicated to them. I think it's called "Dominican Sisters, Wild at Heart!" :)

Maria Faustina

[quote name='AbsconditaInDeo' post='1894041' date='Jun 17 2009, 02:27 AM']There is a facebook group that's dedicated to them. I think it's called "Dominican Sisters, Wild at Heart!" :)[/quote]

I'm in that group. It's soo awesome! It's sooo true though!;)

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1891249' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:18 AM']You can be qualified, or not be qualified, but ultimately it doesn't matter unless the Lord wants it.[/quote]

This reminds me of something a Benedictine Prioress I know when I asked her about electing a superior in a Benedictine house or appointing a nun to a particular office (say novice mistress or cellerar)...I was wondering about the "qualifications" surrounding the more practical things.....so she reminded me that in these kinds of things....

God doesn't call the equpped, He equips the called.

[quote name='osapientia' post='1894207' date='Jun 17 2009, 08:56 AM']This reminds me of something a Benedictine Prioress I know when I asked her about electing a superior in a Benedictine house or appointing a nun to a particular office (say novice mistress or cellerar)...I was wondering about the "qualifications" surrounding the more practical things.....so she reminded me that in these kinds of things....

God doesn't call the equpped, He equips the called.[/quote]

WOW, I'm replying to my own post because I realize I created a sentence which made no sense at all...that first one is a doozy...and I couldn't figure out how to edit the thing so long after the fact.

Anyway, I think the saying is a good one and it was told to me by a Benedictine Prioress....that's all I really wanted to say.

Sorry for my grammatical brain freeze.

Osap

DominicanPhilosophy

Does anyone know why the four original foundresses of DSMME left Nashville?
I have no hard feelings for Ann Arbor - I will probably make a retreat there at some point, because I'm discerning - but I'm just curious. I've talked with Sr. Joseph Andrew and, like some people said, she is great ("hon!" ^_^ )!

Deus Meus et Omnia

+JMJD

AbsconditaInDeo

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1896916' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:20 PM']Does anyone know why the four original foundresses of DSMME left Nashville?
I have no hard feelings for Ann Arbor - I will probably make a retreat there at some point, because I'm discerning - but I'm just curious. I've talked with Sr. Joseph Andrew and, like some people said, she is great ("hon!" ^_^ )!

Deus Meus et Omnia

+JMJD[/quote]

From what I know, I think they left in response to Pope John Paul's new evangelization and things seemed to take off after Mother Assumpta was the novice mistress for the Sisters of Life when they first started. I think Cardinal O'Connor helped them out a bit to get started and then ultimately they were invited by Bishop Mengling to open the Community in Ann Arbor.

I know their are some holes in this story.. maybe someone else knows more than I do?

Also, was Mother Assumpta at one point the Prioress in Nashville before she left to NY to help the Sisters of Life get started? I don't know where I found this out but I know I read it somewhere.. I think.. :think:

Maria Faustina

[quote name='AbsconditaInDeo' post='1897040' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:00 AM']I know their are some holes in this story.. maybe someone else knows more than I do?

Also, was Mother Assumpta at one point the Prioress in Nashville before she left to NY to help the Sisters of Life get started? I don't know where I found this out but I know I read it somewhere.. I think.. :think:[/quote]

Yeah she was extremely important in Nashville in many different areas. She was really influential in a lot of different things and if you ever read the book on the Nashville Dominicans, she and her work is mentioned a couple times if I remember correctly.

VeniteAdoremus

I don't know whether it's apocryphal, but I heard she was actually the prioress when she gave a talk about how communities should be daring to send sisters out to found new communities, and then thought "wait a minute..." and eventually did it herself. Also, the four founding sisters all had the idea [i]before[/i] they came together... really a Holy Spirit Making A Point thing.

DominicanPhilosophy

Ok, thanks everyone! :) I looked it up - Mother Assumpta of the DSMME was indeed the Prioress General for the NDs about twenty years ago, from what I was able to find. Never knew that! That is really interesting, how DSMME came into being. Definitely, VeniteAdoremus, a "Holy Spirit Making a Point" thing!

+JMJD

dominicansoul

...yes, before the 4 even talked about it amongst themselves, they had all received the same call to leave and begin this community to do that which could not be done in Nashville...

I like how Sr. Joseph Andrew told us, "The rest of the story will be revealed to y'all when we get to Heaven girls!"

It definitely was the working of the Holy Spirit! And we do not know the full details because those remain hidden in their hearts...