An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kanye West On Religion And Jesus Christ

Interviewer: We recently saw your quote “I don’t believe in religion, and I don’t believe in giving it all up to Jesus.” Does this mean that you’re no longer a Christian?

Kanye : I believe in God. Christianity wasn’t an option when I was growing up, it was the only thing. It wasn’t like I was given the decision at the time. You know how you decide that you want to be a Doctor or a Lawyer or a painter or a basketball player or whatever? You’re not given a decision of what religion you want. Your parents just give it to you. Like, you’re a Jew or you’re a Muslim or you’re a Christian. I feel like religion is more about separation and judgment than bringing people together and understanding. That’s all I’m about. I’m about accepting people for who they are. Live and let live. I fully embrace every culture there is. I love when people are who they are to the fullest. Like, I think that Cam’ron is just as much a fashion icon as Stefano Pilati, who is basically the best dressed person on Earth. That’s the head designer of YSL. (Yves Saint Laurent)

Interviewer: If you had to give yourself a specific religious title, like are you studying anything new now?

Kanye: I would never go into a religion. I guess my religion is just what I do religiously when I wake up in the morning. I had a conversation with my Dad when I was twenty years old and I don’t believe in this everybody’s going to hell thing; everyone who isn’t a Christian is in the wrong. His response at that time was, ‘Well I’d hate to see you not spend eternity with me and burn in the depths of hell.’ I was like well hell, I don’t want that to happen, so let me set up this insurance plan and just do this. (he laughs) . My father is much more open-minded about that now, though.

Interviewer: So do you believe in Jesus at all?

Kanye: [font="Arial Black"][size=6]I believe in Jesus as an icon, but I don’t feel the responsibility to put my life on Jesus[/size].[/font] I feel I need to take responsibility for my own successes and failures. Why I say, ‘I don’t give it all up to Jesus’ is because there are a lot of people who don’t take responsibility for their lives, and always think Jesus is gonna handle it. And, that’s what I refuse to do. Christianity is embedded in who I am, so I will still say things like this is a blessing, amen, and still say prayers; things that your Grandmother embedded in you. I’m always gonna have a little Chicago in me, a little hood in me, and a little Christianity in me. Just because it’s what I know. But, I do not believe that other religions are going to hell, I do not believe in a lot of elements of it. I want to express to people that I do believe in God, but I also have friends whom are atheists. I have friends that are super duper Christians. If I come to a person that’s a super Christian and I tell them what I believe in and they tell me what they believe, I super respect that. I like when people are into what they’re into. If that’s your thing, and you break it down and you’re really into the bible and you believe everything about it, and you believe in immaculate conception and stuff like that. Like, you believe in the “rib” and all that, I’m just like, man, that’s dope for you. People will say ‘Aw, man he wasn’t saying that Jesus thing when he made the song!’ But, when I made the song, that’s how I felt, but this is six years later. This is how I feel now. The whole thing about religion, other people’s religion and other things that they shell out, I have my own opinion on everything. Anything that I take, I’m going to do it my way. Like, if I take a car, I’m going to paint it the way I want to paint it. My thing was, after my mom passed, it wasn’t a thing where I lost my mind or anything. I was less scared to speak my mind. Cause there’s nothing I could lose. There’s nothing that could be taken away from me. Soon as you’re not willing to change and go off of what you feel that morning, your life starts moving in reverse like Benjamin Button or something. Now, you’re moving backwards, you’re not growing anymore. Life is about change and if you’re not willing to change you’re not really willing to live your life, and soak in the amount of new information that’s given to you. Since day one, I knew the difference between right and wrong. I could predict what was happening. I had karma and anyone who’s ever had beef with me, something happened to them, like it’s really just been in God’s hands.

Religion is like clothing. People want comfort. People don’t want to have to take that off. People don’t want to accept the concept of there not being a heaven possibly, or the concept of losing someone and not seeing them again. The only thing that keeps you going is the idea that you will see them again.

It’s [religion] also like branding. Some people go Bapes head to toe, some people do Polo head to toe. Some people go Rocawear head to toe. Me, I kind of just go into the store and take the piece that I like the most. I’m no poster child for any particular brand. What I have to realize and what shocks people, or polarizes people is that I’m actually a brand. I’m something that people build up and believe in. They name their kids because they believe Kanye believes this. But I’m also a real person; a growing person and an artist. I don’t want the responsibility of waiting to move because this many people believe this. Like, if you believe in Kanye, if you believe in me, then just believe that I’m going to be honest with you and express to you what I believe that day. I’m not gonna be holding a congregation and flooping prostitutes and it come out to them years later. I’m gonna come to the congregation like man, last Friday I got some some **** from a prostitute, I’m just gon’ go head and let y’all know.

Edited by Guest

[font="Arial Black"]Hebrews 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.[/font]

Prayers for Kanye that he finds the true faith. :sign:

Edited by Guest

I came to the conclusion that Kanye is a fraud and idiot [i]a long time ago[/i].

Much of his career has been focused on him inadvertently revealing his idiocy through what he says.

He has also (almost) endorsed homosexual relations.

His idiocy is further proven by the fact that he wrote the song "[b]Jesus [/b]walks" not that long ago.

Some select words from Jesus Walks and references to God, Christianity, and religion:

My momma used to say [b]only Jesus can save us[/b]
Well momma I know I act a fool

[Hook x2]

[b](Jesus Walks)[/b]
God show me the way because the Devil trying to break me down
[b](Jesus Walks with me)[/b]
The only thing that that [b]I pray[/b] is that my feet don't fail me now
[b](Jesus Walks)[/b]
And I don't think there is nothing I can do now to right my wrongs
[b](Jesus Walks with me)[/b]
[b]I want to talk to God[/b] but I'm afraid because we ain't spoke in so long

To the hustlers, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers
[b](Jesus walks with them)[/b]
To the victims of Welfare for we living in hell here hell yeah
[b](Jesus walks with them)[/b]

Now hear ye hear ye want to see Thee more clearly
[b]I know he hear me[/b] when my feet get weary

I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers
The way Kathie Lee needed Regis [b]that's the way I need Jesus[/b]
So here go my single dog radio needs this
[b]They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus[/b]
That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
But [b]if I talk about God[/b] my record won't get played Huh?
Well let this take away from my spins
Which will probably take away from my ends
[b]Then I hope this take away from my sins[/b]
And [b]bring the day that I'm dreaming about[/b]

[quote name='ariaane' post='1865907' date='May 13 2009, 07:14 AM']I came to the conclusion that Kanye is a fraud and idiot [i]a long time ago[/i].[/quote]

Well if you repalce the k with you a c you have : Con ye

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1865911' date='May 13 2009, 02:21 PM']Well if you replace the k with you a c you have : Con ye[/quote]

:lol_sign:

Let’s not forget Con ye's [b]remix[/b] to Jesus Walks lyrics, cause it [i]sure[/i] does sound religious:

Ready!, Huh.
Yeah! um
[color="#FF0000"][b]Jesus, Jesus talk to me
Jesus, Jesus talk with me[/color]
Jesus, Jesus,
Jesus, Jesus,
Come on!
(Jesus Walks)
God show me the way now the devil can't break me down
(Jesus walk with me)[/b]

Between the girls and the jewelry
[b]The devil trying to lure me[/b]
And view of me
[b](Jesus walks with me)[/b]
[b][color="#FF0000"]My pastor[/color][/b] shaking his head
he aint; sure of me
But surely
Then he ask
do you say your prayers at least 2 a week?
I aint talking to God I know what I've been doing G.
I aint good with that [b]give us our day[/b]

[color="#FF0000"][b]God sends signs sometimes only in glimpses[/color] for me I almost died
falling asleep in them Benzes[/b]
Theirs something about this beat that get me tranquilized
and when I play it at my shows [b][color="#FF0000"]I feel sanctified[/color][/b]
and [b][color="#FF0000"]HE gives me direction when I can't decide[/color][/b]
[b][color="#FF0000"]He is alive![/color][/b], how can you tell me he aint when I said

(Jesus Walks)
[b][color="#FF0000"]God show me the way now the devil can'tbreak me down[/color][/b]
(Jesus Walks)
[b][color="#FF0000"]The only thing I pray[/color][/b] is that my feet don't fail me now
(Jesus Walks)
And Now I think there's something I can say now
that will right my wrongs
(Jesus Walks)
[color="#FF0000"][b]I finally talked to God and I aint afraid cause his love is so strong[/b][/color]

[color="#0000FF"]Now here is the very telling part:[/color]
[b][color="#FF0000"]
Father I thank you, for forgiving me, for everything I ever done,
for Jesus walking with me, for dying for me, raising for me,
and all my sins have been forgiven, I'm a changed man,
I'm healed I'm delivered,I'm rich and It's all because of him[/color][/b]
Now Walk with me, Walk with me, Walk Walk Walk with me
Walk with me

Edited by ariaane

desertwoman

I never liked Kanye cause he is a pompous jerk. There was no humblness within him, and it turned me off.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." (Galatians 5:22)

[quote name='ariaane' post='1865920' date='May 13 2009, 08:39 AM']:lol_sign:

Let’s not forget Con ye's [b]remix[/b] to Jesus Walks lyrics, cause it [i]sure[/i] does sound religious:

Ready!, Huh.
Yeah! um
[color="#FF0000"][b]Jesus, Jesus talk to me
Jesus, Jesus talk with me[/color]
Jesus, Jesus,
Jesus, Jesus,
Come on!
(Jesus Walks)
God show me the way now the devil can't break me down
(Jesus walk with me)[/b]

Between the girls and the jewelry
[b]The devil trying to lure me[/b]
And view of me
[b][color="#FF0000"]My pastor[/color][/b] shaking his head
he aint; sure of me
But surely
Then he ask
do you say your prayers at least 2 a week?
I aint talking to God I know what I've been doing G.
I aint good with that [b]give us our day[/b]

[color="#FF0000"][b]God sends signs sometimes only in glimpses[/color] for me I almost died
falling asleep in them Benzes[/b]
Theirs something about this beat that get me tranquilized
and when I play it at my shows [b][color="#FF0000"]I feel sanctified[/color][/b]
and [b][color="#FF0000"]HE gives me direction when I can't decide[/color][/b]
[b][color="#FF0000"]He is alive![/color][/b], how can you tell me he aint when I said

(Jesus Walks)
[b][color="#FF0000"]God show me the way now the devil can'tbreak me down[/color][/b]
(Jesus Walks)
[b][color="#FF0000"]The only thing I pray[/color][/b] is that my feet don't fail me now
(Jesus Walks)
And Now I think there's something I can say now
that will right my wrongs
(Jesus Walks)
[color="#FF0000"][b]I finally talked to God and I aint afraid cause his love is so strong[/b][/color]

[color="#0000FF"]Now here is the very telling part:[/color]
[b][color="#FF0000"]
Walk with me[/quote]

Haha I dont want to make this a kanye bashing thread. I actually liked the remix with Mase on it. I liked the original to for that matter. It just seems as if Kanye has lost his faith completly which is bound to happen when you totally throw yourself into the world. Prayers for him defitenly because no doubt the dude is talented and needs God just as much as any one of us.

Edited by Guest

He sorta reminds me of pharaoh. How God lifted him up so he could proclaim Gods name to the nations. Alot of secular rappers remind me of pharaoh.

Edited by Guest

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1865928' date='May 13 2009, 08:48 AM']"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." (Galatians 5:22)[/quote]

Word. Hopefully Kanye comes back to the truth or comes to the truth for the first time. You know he may have been sitting in a Pastor Wright type of church and never even really recieved Christ.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1865900' date='May 13 2009, 07:58 AM']But, I do not believe that other religions are going to hell, I do not believe in a lot of elements of it. I want to express to people that I do believe in God.[/quote]

Believing in God isn't good enough. The demons believe in God. Satan is the God of this world. That's why Jesus says whoever loves this world makes themselves an enemy of God. He sounds like a prime target for when the antichirst comes and brings all the religoins together while also performing signs and mircales even making fire come down from Heaven. Someone without any faith or real truth will be duped so easy by the antichrist and in turn lose their soul for eternity. It's sad.

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1865929' date='May 13 2009, 02:49 PM']Haha I dont want to make this a kanye bashing thread. I actually liked the remix with Mase on it. I liked the original to for that matter. It just seems as if Kanye has lost his faith completly which is bound to happen when you totally throw yourself into the world. Prayers for him defitenly because [b]no doubt the dude is talented [/b]and needs God just as much as any one of us.[/quote]

Con ye, talented?

The man doesn’t even write all of his lyrics!

He is an arrogant, egotistical, undiplomatic, attention seeking, narcissistic flip flopper, and so my sentiments are the same as Dessertwoman's.

I’ll admit that I have the original and remix of "Jesus walks" on my phone's MP3 player, but I’ve [i]always [/i]disliked him.

Even his mother is...

Well I hate to be uncharitable, but she gave her life on this earth up for the sake of a face lift.

Now I’m not judging those who procure plastic surgery, as it is very useful for people with disfigurements/ burns/ irregular facial features etc, but for the sake of [i]vanity[/i] alone on an older woman whom the phrase [i]“black don’t crack”[/i] applies to?...come on!...

[quote name='ariaane' post='1865933' date='May 13 2009, 09:03 AM']Con ye, talented?

The man doesn’t even write all of his lyrics!

He is an arrogant, egotistical, undiplomatic, attention seeking, narcissistic flip flopper, and so my sentiments are the same as Dessertwoman's.

I’ll admit that I have the original and remix of "Jesus walks" on my phone's MP3 player, but I’ve [i]always [/i]disliked him.

Even his mother is...

Well I hate to be uncharitable, but she gave her life on this earth up for the sake of a face lift.

Now I’m not judging those who procure plastic surgery, as it is very useful for people with disfigurements/ burns/ irregular facial features etc, but for the sake of [i]vanity[/i] alone on an older woman whom the phrase [i]“black don’t crack”[/i] applies to?...come on!...[/quote]

Come on now. Judge not lest you be judged. :)

Edited by Guest

[quote name='ariaane' post='1865920' date='May 13 2009, 07:39 AM'][color="#0000FF"]Now here is the very telling part:[/color]
[b][color="#FF0000"]
Walk with me[/quote]

This part was by pastor mase. lol
I remember Era Might saying the " I am rich " part made him cringe.

[quote name='ariaane' post='1865933' date='May 13 2009, 08:03 AM']The man doesn’t even write all of his lyrics![/quote]

Duhhhhh
He spits them off the top of the dome yooooo

Edited by Guest

RezaMikhaeil

Aparently this has turned into a "tear Kanye by the threads", I ain't gonna get into that...

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1865928' date='May 13 2009, 06:48 AM']I never liked Kanye cause he is a pompous jerk. There was no humblness within him, and it turned me off.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." (Galatians 5:22)[/quote]

I believe this is most people's concern. Statements like, "If MTV don't give me a video music award, they lose credibility" seems a bit conceited. The most talented artists don't need to brag about themselves, everyone else does it for them [J Dilla is a prime testimony to this theory]. After southpark parodied him in one of their recient episodes, it may have humbled him as it chastised him. He wrote a blog afterwards about it and said that he used to use his ego, before being famous, as motivation but now it may have gotten out of control. He admitted that the southpark episode "hurt inside" but was, "something that I needed to hear" [paraphrased]. He went on to say that he was going to work on it, because he didn't like the public's perception of him.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1865931' date='May 13 2009, 06:53 AM']Word. Hopefully Kanye comes back to the truth or comes to the truth for the first time. You know he may have been sitting in a Pastor Wright type of church and never even really recieved Christ.[/quote]

I don't think that Kanye was ever at the truth, he def wasn't Catholic/Orthodox. In regards to religion, I'm sure that he has alot of problems with it because there is much condemnation in churches. Talib Kweli, "when the reverend looks like the pimp and the pimp looks like the reverend", mass amounts of people in America are turned off by the hypocritical churches that seems to be plentiful, and truthfully I don't blame them.

His statements in regards to relying on Jesus aren't necessarily that uneducated, and I say that because if you read his conversation indepth, you'll see that he says that people don't take responsibility for their failures, but put it on God. I was raised in a Church as a child, in which people would "prophesy" that they'd be rich, and when they weren't rich after "x amount" of years, they'd blame it on God with statements like, "God's still going to bless me, but it's going to take longer for him to make me rich".

I'm going to say that by people combating his negativity towards Christianity with negativity, that's making it worse and giving more attention to the darkness. In the Orthodox Church we're not told to condemn others, because everybody comes to Christ in their own timing, and we believe in praying for the dead, so that adds another aspect to it.

In regards to his homosexuality shift, I don't think there's any doubts that he's moving into an atmosphere where gays and lesbians are considered equal and not sinful. He's pushed his relationship with Ellen Degenerous but also his artists on his label, such as Common, have made public announcements that their not going to make anti-gay statements in their rhymes in the future.

Reza