An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are Being Called When...

dominicansoul

Uh-oh! I can’t relate to any of these . . . I must not be called! Haha, I should totally change my life plans based on this one thread.

Seriously, though, I don't wake up saying the Office, I don't have more friends who are religious than aren't, my friends are throwing me an (entirely chaste and just an excuse to hang out with each other) “perpetual bachelorette” party before my entrance date, I can't remember the last time I talked to my confessor outside of confession, I prefer shopping for clothes over shopping for saint medals, I’m dreading not having a mirror, or being able to hang out with my friends every day, and everyone I know was really shocked that I was even considering religious life, much less that I'm entering!

Yet, there’s still that deep, unrelenting, unresistable draw to leave everything that I enjoy in the world for something a million times better—God Himself! When the Love of the Beloved God compels you to come to Him and be with Him forever and when you sense that deep call from the depths of Love then you know that, beyond a doubt, you are called.

[quote name='shortnun' post='1884325' date='Jun 5 2009, 04:29 PM']Or... the community to which you are accepted has qualities which you thought were on your "I'd never join a community that did blah, blah, blah." And when that same community has many wonderful qualities which had not previously been on your list of "Non-negotiable qualities for the community I am to join."[/quote]

[quote name='littlesister' post='1884427' date='Jun 5 2009, 07:09 PM']...when the idea won't leave you alone, and you know deep down that you have to at least try or you'll regret it the rest of your life.[/quote]

[quote name='Agnes' post='1884718' date='Jun 6 2009, 01:09 AM']Yet, there’s still that deep, unrelenting, unresistable draw to leave everything that I enjoy in the world for something a million times better—God Himself! When the Love of the Beloved God compels you to come to Him and be with Him forever and when you sense that deep call from the depths of Love then you know that, beyond a doubt, you are called.[/quote]

Enjoyed reading every single post on this thread--from the silly cutesy to the profound! Praying each day that you all find your life's calling...

Jennifer G.

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1884507' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:50 PM'].....when you would rather go to the Catholic store to buy saint medals than go to the mall to buy new clothes....[/quote]

:saint:

[quote].....when you don't write your crush's name in you notebook, but instead, write your future religious sister name....[/quote]

I never even had a crush when I was in highschool, but I have thought of a religious sister name after converting to Catholicism last year - it would be Faustina Therese. :D (Granted, at age 32, there's not many years left before cut-off ages start...)

[quote]....when you try constantly to picture yourself with a veil....[/quote]

Or, ...You've dreamt you were in a Habit (not sure if it was Carmelite, Franciscan or Benedictine) with the Blessed Sacrament (adoration). At work! (Twice!) That was a strange dream, considering I work at a State government job.

...You have a towel fixed "backwards" over your head (in a way that it looks like a veil) and someone says, "Oh, look! It's Sister Mary Margaret!".

...You find yourself (sometime without realizing it) spending a quiet hour at work in contemplative prayer/meditating on scripture.

...You just can't get Tantum Ergo out of your head.

...Your great-aunt's simple looking assisted living bedroom (and building) makes you think of a convent. (it overlooks my old Lutheran church, but every time I see my great-aunt's small room, I can almost see myself as a nun for some reason, and I feel inspired.).

Edited by Jennifer G.

SponsaChristi

... when you just long for HIM in Holy Communion - all day long!!!!!!!

...when you don´t want to close your LOTH.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='littlesister' post='1884427' date='Jun 6 2009, 02:09 AM']...when the idea won't leave you alone, and you know deep down that you have to at least try or you'll regret it the rest of your life.[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='Agnes' post='1884718' date='Jun 6 2009, 08:09 AM']Uh-oh! I can’t relate to any of these . . . I must not be called! Haha, I should totally change my life plans based on this one thread.

Seriously, though, I don't wake up saying the Office, I don't have more friends who are religious than aren't, my friends are throwing me an (entirely chaste and just an excuse to hang out with each other) “perpetual bachelorette” party before my entrance date, I can't remember the last time I talked to my confessor outside of confession, I prefer shopping for clothes over shopping for saint medals, I’m dreading not having a mirror, or being able to hang out with my friends every day, and everyone I know was really shocked that I was even considering religious life, much less that I'm entering!

Yet, there’s still that deep, unrelenting, unresistable draw to leave everything that I enjoy in the world for something a million times better—God Himself! When the Love of the Beloved God compels you to come to Him and be with Him forever and when you sense that deep call from the depths of Love then you know that, beyond a doubt, you are called.[/quote]

Thank the Lord, I'm not mad ;)

[quote name='Jennifer G.' post='1884832' date='Jun 6 2009, 05:22 PM']Or, ...You've dreamt you were in a Habit (not sure if it was Carmelite, Franciscan or Benedictine) with the Blessed Sacrament (adoration). At work! (Twice!) That was a strange dream, considering I work at a State government job.[/quote]

I dreamt I was in a Star Trek uniform at my old secondary school... (it was a Season 3 onwards TNG science officer style. At the time I was pretty upset it wasn't red, but I got over it.)

Having Adoration at work would be pretty cool :)

[quote name='Jennifer G.' post='1884832' date='Jun 6 2009, 05:22 PM']...Your great-aunt's simple looking assisted living bedroom (and building) makes you think of a convent. (it overlooks my old Lutheran church, but every time I see my great-aunt's small room, I can almost see myself as a nun for some reason, and I feel inspired.).[/quote]

I have the same! I remember when I was younger that my ideal room was a wooden floor with a mattress in the corner. But I'm messy and I have way too much stuff, so that hasn't been attained yet.

[quote name='SponsaChristi' post='1884884' date='Jun 6 2009, 06:52 PM']... when you just long for HIM in Holy Communion - all day long!!!!!!!

...when you don´t want to close your LOTH.[/quote]

:yes: on both. And of course I lose my LotH all the time... I actually had two Dutch versions because I kept leaving mine at the SSVM convent. (Along with my keys, usually.) Then one got stolen :( (Currently I have a Dutch one minus one Readings booklet and 2/3rds of a British one... but I didn't lose it, PP, honest, Berry has given it to Ignas and I'll get it back at Mass!)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1885420' date='Jun 7 2009, 08:58 AM']And of course I lose my LotH all the time... I actually had two Dutch versions because I kept leaving mine at the SSVM convent. (Along with my keys, usually.) Then one got stolen :( (Currently I have a Dutch one minus one Readings booklet and 2/3rds of a British one... but I didn't lose it, PP, honest, Berry has given it to Ignas and I'll get it back at Mass!)[/quote]

*shrug* It's not my breviary anymore, right? You can treat it however you like.

:sadder:
What would a freshly-baked Dutch priest want with an English breviary anyway? :unsure:

Unless you DID lose it/leave it somewhere and forget about it and have had to bat your eyelashes at your Seminarian/Deacon/Priest fan troupe in order to get it back because this is one thing you [i]can't[/i] replace.

Zucht.
:furious:
:sadder:

Edited by puellapaschalis

osapientia

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1885438' date='Jun 7 2009, 05:10 AM']*shrug* It's not my breviary anymore, right? You can treat it however you like.[/quote]

Well Puella I would think this would HAVE TO BE TRUE...since you use a MONASTIC DIURNAL. :)

AbsconditaInDeo

...when the only websites you go to besides your e-mail and phatmass are religious sisters' websites.

dominicansoul

...when you have some vacation time coming up, and the destinations you look for are places where convents are located...

heck,

when your vacation [i]is a vocation discerment retreat[/i]... !!!

:lol:

CatherineM

I used to make habits for my barbi dolls. Since I had nothing but older brothers, I mostly inherited gijoes, so that got kind of weird.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1885577' date='Jun 7 2009, 09:00 PM']...when you have some vacation time coming up, and the destinations you look for are places where convents are located...

heck,

when your vacation [i]is a vocation discerment retreat[/i]... !!!

:lol:[/quote]

Yes, yes!!!

When you haven't eaten your favourite (birthday!!) cake for years - and when you're invited for a supper when you celebrate your "brother"'s (I mean: a friar of the order you discern) you find YOUR FAVOURITE CAKE IN FRONT OF YOUR BROTHER and he says: "Hey, eat a slice!".

When you translate things for the secular order (I translate from English to Hungarian)!

Nice treath! :topsy:

[list]
[*]Have many books about the life of the Saints.
[*]Have many photos of the sisters on your notebook/computer
[*]Can't stop dreaming about the convent life
[*]Heartbouncing when you saw photos from sisters (I want it too!!)
[*]Talk with Him a lot
[*]Love Him more than other
[*]Have DVDs about religious life, these are your favoriete movies ever! (Example: Into great silence, A man who becames a pope: Pope John II, Saint Thèrése, Mission, Father Damian, Brother Sun and Sister Moon, Mother Teresa of Calcutta and more...)
[*]See all big houses and you will thinking: this house will maybe for the sisters and their/our work (especially the carmeldcj)
[*]When the sisters ask when you will entered, especially the older sisters
[*]When the sisters will ask for your help
[*]When some friends says: you don't say it, but you want to enter to an convent. We can see in your eyes.
[/list]

Edited by Muus

When one day you wake up and have a sudden urge to kiss the crucifix on your wall and say "I will take up my cross and follow you". Then you continue to act on that urge every single morning.

When you're upset saying a Hail Mary cheers you up more than your family or friends.

Edited by OraProMe