An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites Vs. Franciscans

InHisLove726

FiereMargriet

I'm reading a compilation of vocation stories of OP nuns at the moment, and I found that most if not all of them looked at Carmels first. And Franciscans are probably closer spiritually to Carmelites than Dominicans are! I think it's completely normal in today's vocation world for most young women to look at Carmel first, especially with St. Therese helping us out! I know that's what I did, but now I feel much more of a pull to the OPs.

And like Laudem said, don't worry at all about feeling called because of the habit! I think that can be a big initial pull to an order. Prayers for you and for finding a job! My parish has a "job bank" in our bulletin where one can post a brief summary of one's skills and what kind of job one's looking for. Does yours have anything like that? And I also see solicitations from individual elderly people looking for a companion in the classifieds every so often.

InHisLove726

[quote name='FiereMargriet' post='1891255' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:34 AM']I'm reading a compilation of vocation stories of OP nuns at the moment, and I found that most if not all of them looked at Carmels first. And Franciscans are probably closer spiritually to Carmelites than Dominicans are! I think it's completely normal in today's vocation world for most young women to look at Carmel first, especially with St. Therese helping us out! I know that's what I did, but now I feel much more of a pull to the OPs.

And like Laudem said, don't worry at all about feeling called because of the habit! I think that can be a big initial pull to an order. Prayers for you and for finding a job! My parish has a "job bank" in our bulletin where one can post a brief summary of one's skills and what kind of job one's looking for. Does yours have anything like that? And I also see solicitations from individual elderly people looking for a companion in the classifieds every so often.[/quote]

Unfortunately, my parish has no such job bank. :( It would be nice if they did! I've been looking on Craigslist in their Medical/Health classifieds, but most of them are people who need jobs, not people who are looking for applicants.

I am continuing to pray for a job daily! :saint:

InHisLove726

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1890748' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:37 PM']I just looked at my transcript from my old college to see what I needed to do to graduate and transfer to the university. It appears that the only thing holding me back from obtaining my Associate in Arts degree is 2 mathematics courses. Although I HATE math with a passion, I am very much interested in finishing these courses to graduate since I have so many credit hours (70). I really would love to go to the university to get a Bachelors in Public/Community Health. :)

Pray for me please! :D[/quote]

Right now, it's a toss up between Psychology and Community Health. :think:

Edited by InHisLove726

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1891739' date='Jun 16 2009, 12:40 AM']LOL, I just read over what I wrote, and I saw that I said I wanted to major in Public/Community Health. I guess I had read so much literature about it, that I wrote it without thinking. It's a possibility for the future, but I am really interested in getting a Bachelor's in Science in Psychology. :D[/quote]

As a physics student, I take issue with psychology being counted a "science". But it's not personal. I can imagine it would be a great asset to a religious community - above and beyond my proficiency with electron microscopy, in any case. :)

(My parents are both psychologists (my dad in psychological assessment, my mum in organisational psychology), and my brother studied to be a social worker. Thank God for my sister and her Master's in mathematics. Even though she joined the Dark Side afterwards.)

Will you be OK with student loans and such?

InHisLove726

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1891753' date='Jun 15 2009, 05:48 PM']As a physics student, I take issue with psychology being counted a "science". But it's not personal. I can imagine it would be a great asset to a religious community - above and beyond my proficiency with electron microscopy, in any case. :)

(My parents are both psychologists (my dad in psychological assessment, my mum in organisational psychology), and my brother studied to be a social worker. Thank God for my sister and her Master's in mathematics. Even though she joined the Dark Side afterwards.)

Will you be OK with student loans and such?[/quote]

I wouldn't get a student loan. The debt I have right now is from a credit card and Line of Credit. I actually changed what I wrote before you wrote your reply. Both are really good assets to a religious community, especially Psychology. When I found out that Fr. Benedict Groeschel had a psychology degree, I thought that was an excellent idea. I am really intrigued by the way the mind works--how it can be our greatest enemy or our best friend. I am more interested in the Bachelors in Science route since it doesn't require 2 semesters of Foreign Language. It's more involved with the psychology major requirements. :D

InHisLove726

Also, when I first started college, I didn't know what kind of major I should pursue. I thought a lot about Veterinary Medicine, but also liked Psychology. I took a Myers-Briggs Personality test, and found out that I am an "ISFJ" and that between the two, psychology was more suited to my personality. But another thing that astonished me later on, after I started discerning, was the fact that I am also suited to religious occupations! :))

Upon doing research on the I.S.F.J. personality, I discovered that both Mother Teresa of Calcutta and St. Teresa of Avila were both considered I.S.F.J.'s also, which was incredibly interesting. :))

Lol, I took an online test and got these results

I N F J
Strength of the preferences %
28 50 12 67

I don't know how reliable an online personality test is though.

Maria_Faustina

Huh, I thought I was the only one who always had a hard time explaining my love for the Carmelites--while I'm in application for Franciscans! When I was still discerning orders last summer, it was these two (and slightly the (cloistered, habited) Benedictines of Mary in Kansas City). They are similar, but I don't think I realized that at the time. I had found the website of the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus and for a year soo wanted to go on their discernment retreat last August. I wasn't able to, and I was very upset--I was really drawn to their life. And yes, I loved their habit. It's just something about them, and there always will be--I mean, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Therese, and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel? They're just, like, an awesome order--they just give off this "we are intense, and amazing, and really holy" vibe. (They even have a cool name :) ). It was right before that at the Steubenville Conference that St. Francis started "stalking" me (you know, in the nice, non-creepy-although-still-weird way), and I just fell in love with him and his spirituality. I mean, his love for God was just incredible--people think of him as just a peaceful animal lover, but his penance and humility and willing suffering cannot be ignored. And the stigmata--can you imagine? He awes me, because you can see the absolute love and power of God--THROUGH him. Two months later I visit the Poor Clares, and now, God willing, am soon entering! I've settled for joyfully living as a Franciscan, but always having a love of Carmel--I'd gladly recommend either order to someone discerning. (For example, the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George are another wonderful Franciscan order).
I hope that all had a point!

Prayers, and Pax Christi
JMJFC+

InHisLove726

[quote name='Maria_Faustina' post='1891895' date='Jun 15 2009, 07:11 PM']Huh, I thought I was the only one who always had a hard time explaining my love for the Carmelites--while I'm in application for Franciscans! When I was still discerning orders last summer, it was these two (and slightly the (cloistered, habited) Benedictines of Mary in Kansas City). They are similar, but I don't think I realized that at the time. I had found the website of the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus and for a year soo wanted to go on their discernment retreat last August. I wasn't able to, and I was very upset--I was really drawn to their life. And yes, I loved their habit. It's just something about them, and there always will be--I mean, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Therese, and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel? They're just, like, an awesome order--they just give off this "we are intense, and amazing, and really holy" vibe. (They even have a cool name :) ). It was right before that at the Steubenville Conference that St. Francis started "stalking" me (you know, in the nice, non-creepy-although-still-weird way), and I just fell in love with him and his spirituality. I mean, his love for God was just incredible--people think of him as just a peaceful animal lover, but his penance and humility and willing suffering cannot be ignored. And the stigmata--can you imagine? He awes me, because you can see the absolute love and power of God--THROUGH him. Two months later I visit the Poor Clares, and now, God willing, am soon entering! I've settled for joyfully living as a Franciscan, but always having a love of Carmel--I'd gladly recommend either order to someone discerning. (For example, the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George are another wonderful Franciscan order).
I hope that all had a point!

Prayers, and Pax Christi
JMJFC+[/quote]

That would have been awesome if you were at the retreat in August because I was there! Unfortunately, though, I had a stomach virus at the same time, so I had to stay in the guest room for most of the retreat, but I caught some of it.

I fell in love with St. Francis because I very much desire absolute simplicity in all things. I understand how he wanted to live in his time. His spirituality is very much desirable to this age for those who wish to abandon our earthly practices in our efforts to be holy. He was not very educated (he only went to school for 3 years), but his spirituality is VERY understandable and easy to follow. I think he has adopted me! :D I like to think that he is my patron because my first name is not a saint's name, but my middle name is Frances. He is utterly incredible!

He changed my way of thinking too, because I thought that you had to be pure your entire life to receive the stigmata (ex: St. Catherine of Siena or St. Padre Pio). He wasn't! He was a playboy up until his 24th year. It just makes me understand that God knows what is in our hearts. Francis was destined for sanctity! :D

Edited by InHisLove726

WisdomSeeker

[quote name='Hilde' post='1891867' date='Jun 16 2009, 12:55 AM']Lol, I took an online test and got these results

I N F J
Strength of the preferences %
28 50 12 67

I don't know how reliable an online personality test is though.[/quote]

I took this test as well and here are the results it gave me:

I N F J
Strength of the preferences
22 50 50 33

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1892483' date='Jun 16 2009, 03:29 AM']I took this test as well and here are the results it gave me:

I N F J
Strength of the preferences
22 50 50 33[/quote]

I've taken a few of these tests before and I always get INTJ, with near average for I (borderline E) and very high NTJ numbers.

It would be interesting to see if certain spiritualities draw certain personalities and what the connections might be.

InHisLove726

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1892615' date='Jun 16 2009, 03:22 AM']I've taken a few of these tests before and I always get INTJ, with near average for I (borderline E) and very high NTJ numbers.

It would be interesting to see if certain spiritualities draw certain personalities and what the connections might be.[/quote]

Hmmmmm, now you've done it! You know I won't get to sleep tonight because of the research I'm going to be doing on this right? It's all your fault! :madrant:

:lol_roll:

InHisLove726

THIS is very interesting!!!!

[url="http://www.msgr.ca/msgr-3/personalitytypeprayers.html"]http://www.msgr.ca/msgr-3/personalitytypeprayers.html[/url]

Apparently, I'm considered an "Ignatian" type of spirituality! :shock:

InHisLove726

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1892668' date='Jun 16 2009, 03:54 AM'][size=3]I'm considered an 'Augustinian' type of spirituality![/size][/quote]

VERY interesting! :)) See?!? Psychology IS fun! :P