An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites Vs. Franciscans

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

Guess what??!?!? I just found my old test results from college, and I'm not an "ISFJ" at all. I had it totally wrong. I'm an "INFP"--Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving! I don't know why I thought I was an ISFJ... :unsure:

According to my former test results, I belong in the Augustinian spirituality, which would make sense since I was drawn to the contemplative lifestyle. Interesting!

[url="http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html"]http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html[/url]

Edited by InHisLove726

mariaassunta

Is all this really important in a vocation...First I ever heard of these tests honestly!

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='angelofmary' post='1894172' date='Jun 17 2009, 01:16 PM']Is all this really important in a vocation...First I ever heard of these tests honestly![/quote]

These tests are not important. At all. You are completely free to ignore them.

However, what [i]is[/i] important in discerning a vocation is knowing yourself, and things like this [i]could[/i] help you with that.

Their main problem is that they are based on what you say about yourself, unprovoked, so their result will depend more on how you see yourself, or want yourself to be, than on what you actually are.

There are other tests, which can only be administered and interpreted by a trained psychologist, that dig deeper into your actual reactions and motivations (they are [i]much[/i] less entertaining to take ;) And that's before you get the results...). Many people entering religious life will take one or more of these in the course of their psychological assessment (I had to, and it was over 400 questions).

Myers-Briggs tests are definitely fun, and can be enlightening. I also like the funny little prayers (especially since I am an INTP caricature, so it applies to me really well). But they are not essential for discernment, and if you don't like them you can safely ignore them.

Jennifer G.

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1894154' date='Jun 17 2009, 05:30 AM'][size=3]This helps to explain my growing attraction to the Carmelites :D[/size][/quote]

And mine as well. The hour to meditate and contemplate on scripture always seems to find me at work for some reason. :)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Muus' post='1894185' date='Jun 17 2009, 01:38 PM']Agree with VA.

It's only for fun :) I don't take it seriously because I am too sober for ^_^ .

(typical characteristic for a Dutch)[/quote]

Oh! Yes. That should be my disclaimer on every post :)

WARNING. DUTCH PERSON TALKING. BLUNTNESS TO BE EXPECTED.

I do, by the way, really like their explanation of Thomistic prayer. It does seem to suit me very well. So thank you for linking!

InHisLove726

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1894190' date='Jun 17 2009, 06:56 AM']Oh! Yes. That should be my disclaimer on every post :)

WARNING. DUTCH PERSON TALKING. BLUNTNESS TO BE EXPECTED.

I do, by the way, really like their explanation of Thomistic prayer. It does seem to suit me very well. So thank you for linking![/quote]

I guess you could call me a "researcher." It's in my nature as an INFP! LOL! :lol_roll: I "researched" the link on Google. ;)

Edited by InHisLove726

InHisLove726

Has anyone ever read "The Lessons of St. Francis" by John Michael Talbot? I am reading it now and I'm finding it very interesting. I just finished the second chapter about "Simplicity" and I want to try to be more simple in living. :)

elizabeth09

I think that (in a few years) I might join the Carmelite sisters of the divine heart of Jesus.

InHisLove726

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1900307' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:27 PM']I think that (in a few years) I might join the Carmelite sisters of the divine heart of Jesus.[/quote]

You should go for it! I have two friends who are entering the order on Sept. 8th, 2009--one at the Central Province, the other at the Northern Province (where I applied). I also have another friend who is strongly attracted to the Central Province and wants to apply as soon as she is done with college. :D

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I still feel a draw to both Carmel and the Franciscans, but I know that poverty and penance will be the very thing I need most. And not just me, but the whole world. The simplicity of the Franciscans has drawn me in. I pray that I am doing that which God is calling me to do!

Sorry to go back a few posts, but I found it super interesting that the type that I 'fit' into is also very much an artistic ranking.
I S F P
65 25 38 22
It says that Graphic Design would be a good field for me (and I am in it currently!) along with an artist in general and Religious Education! Very interesting results for that... and the prayer/spirituality thing says I fall under Franciscan.

Many blessings in your continued discernment journey. The Lord will lead you!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1894170' date='Jun 17 2009, 07:10 AM']Guess what??!?!? I just found my old test results from college, and I'm not an "ISFJ" at all. I had it totally wrong. I'm an "INFP"--Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving! I don't know why I thought I was an ISFJ... :unsure:

According to my former test results, I belong in the Augustinian spirituality, which would make sense since I was drawn to the contemplative lifestyle. Interesting!

[url="http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html"]http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html[/url][/quote]

I'm also INFP!! :grouphug: :D

she_who_is_not

[quote name='laetitia crucis' post='1900611' date='Jun 24 2009, 11:55 AM']I'm also INFP!! :grouphug: :D[/quote]

I am an INFP as well!!!! This is really weird! I've never met another one before! My mom and all my sisters are ENFPs which is close but It is nice to know that others are out there. I'm actually super excited.

I went to see a counselor at school because I was thinking about dropping out my first semester. She suggested I do a Myers-Brigg to see if law was a good personality match. I told that I was an INFP. She said, "Have you thought about Divinity School?"

InHisLove726

[quote name='laetitia crucis' post='1900611' date='Jun 24 2009, 12:55 PM']I'm also INFP!! :grouphug: :D[/quote]

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1900688' date='Jun 24 2009, 02:46 PM']I am an INFP as well!!!! This is really weird! I've never met another one before! My mom and all my sisters are ENFPs which is close but It is nice to know that others are out there. I'm actually super excited.

I went to see a counselor at school because I was thinking about dropping out my first semester. She suggested I do a Myers-Brigg to see if law was a good personality match. I told that I was an INFP. She said, "Have you thought about Divinity School?"[/quote]

Apparently, the results can change over time. :topsy: LOL! I'm actually an ISFJ now. :D I've taken about 10 online tests and all of them say I'm an ISFJ, including the Humanmetrics test. :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1900774' date='Jun 24 2009, 05:46 PM']Apparently, the results can change over time. :topsy: LOL! I'm actually an ISFJ now. :D I've taken about 10 online tests and all of them say I'm an ISFJ, including the Humanmetrics test. :)[/quote]

Results definitely can change over time, although probably certain things stay the same. I have grown much more introverted as time has passed, while one of my friends who used to be more introverted, has become much more extroverted. I also think that when I was a child, I was more F than T, but certain events in my life moved me more towards T. I've always been a J, though, lol.

While the correlation with spiritualities is certainly interesting, I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Especially since there only seems to be one study out there on it, and it doesn't appear to be too official of a study. There may be certain patterns, but like most things, those aren't always followed.