An Old School Catholic Message Board

Crucifixes In Dorm Rooms

TeresaBenedicta

Crucifixes  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TeresaBenedicta

So, my school (a Catholic University) has just approved for individual crucifixes to be placed perminately in every dorm room on campus. We've had them in all of our classrooms since the establishment of the school, but they've never been in the dorms. All of the crucifixes have arrived, have been blessed, and will be placed in the dorms in the next few weeks before students come back for classes...

Now, I've talked with a few people about this, including some very "hard core", faithful Catholics and I've heard some differing opinions on the matter.

A few criticisms that I've heard...

While this [i]is[/i] a Catholic University, we do have a lot of non-Catholic students on campus (about 30%). Forcing Protestants and other non-Catholics to have crucifixes in their own personal rooms seems a little too much.

There [b]will[/b] be desecrations. Kids are stupid, disrespectful, and it gets worse when they've been drinking.

So... I don't know... I mean, we [i]are[/i] a Catholic school. And we've been trying to improve on our Catholic identity. But, then again, this is going to come as a shock to a lot of students, and I think many will be unhappy about it. Our school went through a bad spot in the 70s and 80s in Catholic identity, but it's been on the rise as of late. Still, we do have a good portion of our student body that is not Catholic. We're not a Stuebenville or Ave Maria, so there are different expectations.

What does the phamily think?

goldenchild17

Just my opinion: It's a Catholic school, any non-Catholic student should know what they are getting into when they go there. If it's not being federally funded by the state then they should be allowed to do whatever they like.

Edited by goldenchild17

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1941224' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:51 PM']Just my opinion: It's a Catholic school, any non-Catholic student should know what they are getting into when they go there. If it's not being federally funded by the state then they should be allowed to do whatever they like.[/quote]

Does it make any difference that there has been no precedent of this kind in the history of the school?

Just curious.

cmotherofpirl

A college dorm room is simply a room you are renting to a student, so I don't think there should be crucifixes in every room, what if you are not religious simply wanting a good education. However they are not renting the halls etc and I think they would be more appropriate there.

Catholic hospitals often have crucifixes in every room. I guess though, sick people are less likely to desecrate than drunk college kids.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1941231' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:08 PM']A college dorm room is simply a room you are renting to a student, so I don't think there should be crucifixes in every room, what if you are not religious simply wanting a good education. However they are not renting the halls etc and I think they would be more appropriate there.[/quote]

While I can understand this, I think this could start a slippery slope like the one we see taking place in Europe. Many of the Catholics schools in Europe are no longer allowed to have crucifixes or crosses in any area of the school, because they're afraid of offending a non-Catholic or a non-Christian. While I understand that a non-Catholic or a non-Christian might be going to a Catholic University in order to receive a good education, that doesn't mean that the Catholic institution is required to hide or shy away from it's Catholic identity for fear of offending someone. Now, even though the student is renting a room from the school, the room is still officially the property of the school. There are many rules regarding what you can and cannot do in or to a dorm room. Legally the dorm rooms are the property of the school regardless of the fact that the student is paying to stay in them.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1941252' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:18 PM']Catholic hospitals often have crucifixes in every room. I guess though, sick people are less likely to desecrate than drunk college kids.[/quote]

:yes:

princessgianna

I voted "yes it is a Catholic school afterall!" .

Is it a Catholic school that is proud to Catholic or is is just going to do whatever to please the crowd? :mellow:

Too many times in our society we hide our Catholic faith underneath the bush because we are afraid that "we might offend"! To a point I can see this HOWEVER we also need to take a stand and be proud to who we are and what we stand for.

If a student has that big of an issue then a)maybe that school isn't right for them b)they seriosuly should think about finding different room accomdations.

If I am paying for a Catholic school - I would expect it to be what they call themselves-Catholic.
If I wanted a Protestant school- I would go there.

JMHO

EDIT: This reminds me of an instance when I went to a Private Catholic school - the principal wouldn't pray before meetings or activities because not everyone was Catholic!

Please that is so LAME!

Edited by princessgianna

ilovechrist

the thought of desecration leads me to saying that this is a BAD idea. our Catholic school also has a large non-Catholic population (at times between 35-40%), and one of the biggest reasons that so many in that demographic end up converting during/after the 4 years is due to the Benedictine rule of hospitality--quite contrary to forcing the religion, regardless of how beautiful it may be, upon someone else.

not to mention... most of us have crucifixes from home that we treasure as personal and/or special. i'd much rather hang my own crucifix. and as cmom said--the school can easily decorate the rest of the building to their taste, since the dorm room is the only space by legal contract that is rented out to a student for the year.

now, though a crucifix may be small, and i understand the concept of "getting what you paid for"... I believe that it is in the nature of a Catholic Christian to perform God's will by a reflection in our own lives--not imposing parts of our lives in others'. don't hide your faith--show it as an individual and as a community. show it in such a way that those who would normally be opposed to the idea become comfortable in asking where they can buy their own crucifix! ;)

Edited by ilovechrist

I voted yes. When I took the ACT, I was a Baptist, but it was being administered in a Catholic high school right next to my (now) parish. The shadow of the Crucifix cast upon my testing materials made me distinctly uncomfortable at first, but by the end it was a comfort to feel as if Christ was suffering through it with me...heh.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='BG45' post='1941342' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:21 PM']I voted yes. When I took the ACT, I was a Baptist, but it was being administered in a Catholic high school right next to my (now) parish. The shadow of the Crucifix cast upon my testing materials made me distinctly uncomfortable at first, but by the end it was a comfort to feel as if Christ was suffering through it with me...heh.[/quote]

Yeah, I enjoy having them in my classrooms as well. This question is more specifically directed towards having them in individual dorm rooms.

KnightofChrist

Who would we rather offend God or man? To not put up a Crucifix because we are afraid it will offend someone means we have more respect for a person(s) than God.

I think it is more of a personal preference rather than to offend anyone. Maybe the school have it available if you want to have in your room?

It is sorta like a Catholic renting an apartment. I wouldn't put crucifixes in every apt. But if someone would want one I would be happy to provide one to them.

I am not exactly worried about offending anyone. So, I guess I am more neutral on this. I find nothing wrong if a University wants to put them in. I am not exactly going to say they have to. I think it would be nice if at the very least the made it available if not put them in there but it isn't necessary. I think it should be required they put one in classrooms.