An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy Alma Michigan

Mary Magdalene

Mary Magdalene

[font="Georgia"][font="Georgia"][i][size="4"]Any women out there considering discerning with the religious sisters of mercy of alma or have attended a vocations retreat with them?

[/size][/i]:saint: [/font][/font]

LaPetiteSoeur

I sort of did, but I couldn't find a ton of information, and then I felt God was leading me back to the NDs. It's great if you are!

:nun:

Catherine Therese

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1298877957' post='2216384']
[font="Georgia"][font="Georgia"][i][size="4"]Any women out there considering discerning with the religious sisters of mercy of alma or have attended a vocations retreat with them?

[/size][/i]:saint: [/font][/font]
[/quote]

I considered them. There are two RSMs from Alma living in Sydney and one of them was one of my professors when I did my theology masters. She was amesome. Actually she was instrumental in helping me discover that I had a religious vocation. Funny as it might seem given that they're in Michigan and I'm in Sydney, a girl from my school (quite a few years older than me) is actually a sister with that community! What are the odds?

Sr Moira, the one who was one of my lecturers, invited me to do a live-in 'come and see' kind of thing just one weekend, but at this stage I just wasn't prepared to consider religious life as a real option, I was running as fast as I could in the opposite direction. This all happened about a year before I met the NDs. She was the first person that I remember actually saying to me that I should consider religious life - others had asked me 'have you considered religious life?' before, but no-one had ever said outright that I SHOULD consider it. This was significant! At the time I actually burst into tears and said 'but I want to get married and have a family!' LOL!! I don't think her suggestion would have brought tears on if there wasn't already an interior realisation that this was something I had to at least explore.

One of the things I found attractive about the RSMs was their attitude to their studies. The two sisters that I knew were lovely and their Mother General came out to visit so I did meet her too. I had a very healthy respect for the women and the way they lived their lives... but never got a sense that I completely belonged there. I DID have a sense that I had a lot in common with them, though!

God knows my heart and He often uses my circumstances to ensure that I know what He wants of me... given that I met the RSMs at a time when I wasn't ready to face up to the possibility of religious life, I'm fairly confident that I am not called to them - but I'm very grateful to them for the role they played in starting to break down the barriers I had constructed that prevented me for hearing God's voice.

I wish I could offer helpful information or something - but I can't, I'm afraid!!
I do offer my prayers, though - all the very best in your discernment.

Catherine Therese

I just realised you're a Sydney gal! I'm gathering that you have met either Sr Moira or Sr Lydia, then. If, on the off chance you haven't, you need me to put you in touch with them, let me know.

If you think that the Lord has written this on your heart then I'd really recommend asking if you can do a 'life-in' experience with the sisters. I think they're still based in Camperdown. I did a live-in with the order that I will be joining - the Nashville Dominicans - and it was very valuable and very helpful.

If this all works out for you and you need any advice on the travel-to-the-States side of things, I'd be very happy to answer any questions. There are a growing number of girls in Sydney who are discerning with American orders and are doing the travel over there, so there are lots of people who can help you! I can put you in touch with any of these.

God bless

From other threads:

[quote] Frasatti (I haven't seen this pm'er around here, but maybe you could send them a message once you get 10 posts):

I've been on a discernment weekend with them, and even though I figured out pretty early on in the experience that it wasn't for me, I only have good things to say about them. Their Motherhouse was just bursting with energy, liturgies were extremely reverent, and the sisters were very approachable, open, and had a great sense of humor. I've always had semi-quick responses from Sr. Catherine Marie (she's the vocation director for where I'm from - I'm not sure if they have different sisters working in vocations by region). [/quote]

[quote] (from a former PM'er who is now a sister):

I LOVE THESE SISTERS!!!!!! I went to see of the sisters for my physciatric evaluation. She was really patient and understanding and was so great to talk too. Esp. with my concerns about adjusting to religious life and the fact that she was a religious made it so much easier to talk about. I can't imagine if I had to do the evaluation with an ordinary physciatrist. :twitch:
Very nice. Very beautiful. :) [/quote]

Edited by Lisa

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='Catherine Therese' timestamp='1298896057' post='2216400']
I considered them. There are two RSMs from Alma living in Sydney and one of them was one of my professors when I did my theology masters. She was amesome. Actually she was instrumental in helping me discover that I had a religious vocation. Funny as it might seem given that they're in Michigan and I'm in Sydney, a girl from my school (quite a few years older than me) is actually a sister with that community! What are the odds?

Sr Moira, the one who was one of my lecturers, invited me to do a live-in 'come and see' kind of thing just one weekend, but at this stage I just wasn't prepared to consider religious life as a real option, I was running as fast as I could in the opposite direction. This all happened about a year before I met the NDs. She was the first person that I remember actually saying to me that I should consider religious life - others had asked me 'have you considered religious life?' before, but no-one had ever said outright that I SHOULD consider it. This was significant! At the time I actually burst into tears and said 'but I want to get married and have a family!' LOL!! I don't think her suggestion would have brought tears on if there wasn't already an interior realisation that this was something I had to at least explore.

One of the things I found attractive about the RSMs was their attitude to their studies. The two sisters that I knew were lovely and their Mother General came out to visit so I did meet her too. I had a very healthy respect for the women and the way they lived their lives... but never got a sense that I completely belonged there. I DID have a sense that I had a lot in common with them, though!

God knows my heart and He often uses my circumstances to ensure that I know what He wants of me... given that I met the RSMs at a time when I wasn't ready to face up to the possibility of religious life, I'm fairly confident that I am not called to them - but I'm very grateful to them for the role they played in starting to break down the barriers I had constructed that prevented me for hearing God's voice.

I wish I could offer helpful information or something - but I can't, I'm afraid!!
I do offer my prayers, though - all the very best in your discernment.
[/quote]

Yes, I do already know the three sisters here in Sydney. I first met Sr. Moira when I was an undergrad at Notre Dame. So I started takling to her about discernment and religious life. And now I spend quite a bit of time with the sisters here in Sydney. I travelled to the US last year to visit their motherhouse in Michigan and also spent some time in their convent in DC. The The girl who is a sister with that community are you talking about Sr. Mary Julian Eckman? I met her while i was in the States last year.

Sr. Moira is also still one of my lecturers while I complete my Masters!

Funny how you said that you wantred to get married and have children. I said the exact same thing to Sr. Moira when she asked me if I was called. I told I had plans for my life and religious life didn't quite fit into my plans. But over a year later now and now I am enetering this year in August with one other Australian girl! Hopefully the RSM, get more aussie vocations here in Sydney!

All the best with your discenment with the ND. Have you travelled there to visit them yet?

Catherine Therese

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1298932494' post='2216584']
Yes, I do already know the three sisters here in Sydney. I first met Sr. Moira when I was an undergrad at Notre Dame. So I started takling to her about discernment and religious life. And now I spend quite a bit of time with the sisters here in Sydney. I travelled to the US last year to visit their motherhouse in Michigan and also spent some time in their convent in DC. The The girl who is a sister with that community are you talking about Sr. Mary Julian Eckman? I met her while i was in the States last year.
[/quote]
Do we know each other?

[quote]
Sr. Moira is also still one of my lecturers while I complete my Masters!
[/quote]

I only finished mine last year... we MUST know each other, surely? Are you game to PM me and we can let each other in to the identity thing, or would you rather stay anonymous? I totally respect your right and need for anonymity if thats your wish. If, however, you're up for indulging my curiosity then I'm very happy to reciprocate.

[quote]
Funny how you said that you wantred to get married and have children. I said the exact same thing to Sr. Moira when she asked me if I was called. I told I had plans for my life and religious life didn't quite fit into my plans. But over a year later now and now I am enetering this year in August with one other Australian girl! Hopefully the RSM, get more aussie vocations here in Sydney!
[/quote]

I knew there was one aspirant, I didn't realise there was another on the cards (you) but this is great news!! I'm really pleased for you gals and for the Sisters :) Its not so funny that we said the same thing... its a pretty normal desire to have, after all! Its also your typical defensive fear response when the innermost self already knows but the whole person hasn't quite caught up yet... at least, thats what it was for me. Sr Moira seems to be good at exposing that type of thing!

[quote]
All the best with your discernment with the ND. Have you travelled there to visit them yet?
[/quote]
Yes :) I stayed with them over the end of December and the first 3 weeks of January. Now I have two homes, and two families! Staying with them really helped to confirm my understanding of God's invitation to me. Thats why I was recommending staying with them so highly - but it appears you've done that, which is great!

I'll be keeping the 'mystery Sydney soon-to-be-RSM gal' in my prayers in an extra special way over the coming months. I'm assuming that the plan is to enter in August?

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

This community has a wonderful reputation. I would recommend - as always - you carefully discern, ask questions and rely upon the guidance and help of someone who is mature and solid in the Faith.

You are in our prayers - I just added your name to our prayer board!

Pax,

TradMom

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='TradMom' timestamp='1299262473' post='2217903']

This community has a wonderful reputation. I would recommend - as always - you carefully discern, ask questions and rely upon the guidance and help of someone who is mature and solid in the Faith.

You are in our prayers - I just added your name to our prayer board!

Pax,

TradMom
[/quote]

Thanks TradMom!

I really like the way they work together (and alone) especially in finding ways for each sister to excel in something meaningful for her life and natural talents. I think this is a very healthy aspect of any community, and I find myself very impressed by them.

I wish we had some in Los Angeles. :cry2: (Maybe now we will???!)

Pax,

TradMom

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='TradMom' timestamp='1299609549' post='2219235']

I really like the way they work together (and alone) especially in finding ways for each sister to excel in something meaningful for her life and natural talents. I think this is a very healthy aspect of any community, and I find myself very impressed by them.

I wish we had some in Los Angeles. :cry2: (Maybe now we will???!)

Pax,

TradMom
[/quote]

Yeah they really do go out of their way to help each other out with things, study, work or personal issues. Maybe I could mention to Mother that Los Angeles would greatly benefit from sending some of their sisters over there!