An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Of The Bible

ironmonk

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Aug 27 2003, 10:47 PM'][b]What does the Bible say the Pillar and Truth is???  - The Church...[/b]

[b]1 Tim 3:15 [/b]
But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What does the Church that Christ built look like?.....

[b]It has Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.[/b]

[b]Bishops [/b](episcopoi) have the care of multiple congregations and appoint, ordain, and discipline priests and deacons. They are often called "evangelists" in the New Testament. Examples of first-century bishops include Timothy and Titus ([b]1 Tim. 5:19–22; 2 Tim. 4:5; Titus 1:5[/b]).

[b]Priests [/b](presbuteroi) are also known as "presbyters" or "elders." In fact, the English term "priest" is simply a contraction of the Greek word presbuteros. They have the responsibility of teaching, governing, and providing the sacraments in a given congregation ([b]1 Tim. 5:17; Jas. 5:14–15[/b]).

[b]Deacons [/b](diakonoi) are the assistants of the bishops and are responsible for teaching and administering certain Church tasks, such as the distribution of food ([b]Acts 6:1–6[/b]). 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]It is hierarchical.[/b]

[b]Matt. 16:18; 18:18[/b] - Jesus uses "ecclesia" only twice in the NT. This proves Jesus intended a visible, unified, hierarchical, and authoritative Church.

[b]1 Cor. 12:28 [/b]- God Himself appoints the various positions of authority within the Church. God gives His children authority.

[b]Eph. 4:11[/b] - Church is hierarchical and includes apostles, prophets, pastors, and teachers, all charged to build up the Church.

[b]Phil. 1:1[/b] - Paul addresses the bishops and deacons of the Church. They can all trace their unbroken lineage back to the apostles.

[b]1 Tim. 3:1; Titus 1:7 [/b]- Christ's Church has bishops (episcopoi) who are direct successors of the apostles. The bishops can trace the authority conferred upon them back to the apostles.
[b]
1 Tim. 5:17; Titus 1:5; James 5:14 [/b]- Christ's Church also has elders or priests (presbuteroi) who serve the bishops.

[b]1 Tim. 3:8 [/b]- Christ's Church also has deacons (diakonoi). His Church has a hierarchy of authority - bishops, priests and deacons.
[b]It has the Body and Blood of Christ - The Real Presence[/b]

[b]John 6:53[/b] Jesus said to them, "[color=red]Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. [/color]
[b]54 [/b][color=red]Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. [/color]
[b]55 [/b][color=red]For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. [/color]
[b]56 [/b][color=red]Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. [/color]
[b]57 [/b][color=red]Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. [/color]
[b]58 [/b][color=red]This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever." [/color].....
[b]......[/b]

[b]63 [/b][color=red]It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. [/color]
[b]64 [/b][color=red]But there are some of you who do not believe[/color]." Jesus knew from the beginning the ones who would not believe and the one who would betray him.
[b]65 [/b]And he said, "[color=red]For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by my Father[/color]."
[b]66 [/b][b]As a result of this, many (of) his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him. [/b]
[b]The Church (Clergy - disciples) can forgive sins....[/b]

[b]St John 20:21 [/b]
(Jesus) said to them again, "[color=red]Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.[/color]"
[b]22 [/b]And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "[color=red]Receive the holy Spirit.[/color]
[b]23 [/b][b][color=red]Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.[/color][/b]"

[b]St James 5:14 [/b]
Is anyone among you sick? He should summon the presbyters of the church, and they should pray over him and anoint (him) with oil in the name of the Lord,
[b]15 [/b]and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven. 
[b]16 [/b]Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful.

[b]St. Matt 28:18[/b]  Then Jesus approached and said to them, "[color=red]All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me.[/color]
[b]19 [/b][color=red]Go, therefore,  and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, [/color]
[b]20 [/b][color=red]teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.  [b]And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age[/b]." [/color]

[b]Matt. 18:18[/b]
"[color=red]Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven[/color]  "

[b]It will never be overcome by the Netherworld, it will be like a city on a mountain for all time, it will be Guided by Christ; it will even speak for Christ - It will have ONE Faith.... [/b]

[b]St. Matt 16:18 [/b] "[color=red]And so I say to you, you are Peter (Kephas), and upon this rock(Kephas) I will build my church, 13 and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.[/color]"

[b]John 21:15 [/b]
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "[color=red]Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?[/color]" He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He said to him, "[b][color=red]Feed my lambs.[/color][/b]"
[b]16 [/b]He then said to him a second time, "[color=red]Simon, son of John, do you love me[/color]?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He said to him, "[b][color=red]Tend my sheep.[/color][/b]"
[b]17 [/b]He said to him the third time, "[color=red]Simon, son of John, do you love me?[/color]" Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, "[color=red]Do you love me?[/color]" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." (Jesus) said to him, "[b][color=red]Feed my sheep.[/color][/b]"

[b]St. Matt 28:18[/b]
[b]11 [/b]Then Jesus approached and said to them, "[color=red]All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. [/color]
[b]19 [/b][color=red]Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, [/color][b]20 [/b][color=red]teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.[/color]"

[b]Luke 10:16[/b] "[color=red]He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me[/color]"

[b]Matt 5:13 [/b]
    "[color=red]You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. [/color]
[b]14 [/b][color=red]You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. [/color]
[b]15[/b] [color=red]Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house.[/color]

[color=blue]Only one church has been around since 33 AD as a city on a mountain for the whole world to see... The Catholic Church.[/color]

[b]Ephesians 4:1 [/b]
[b]1 [/b]I, then, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received,
[b]2 [/b]with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love,
[b]3 [/b]striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace:
[b]4 [/b] one body and one Spirit, as you were also called to the one hope of your call;
[b]5 [/b]one Lord, [b]one faith[/b], one baptism;
[b]6 [/b]one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
[color=blue]
Only One Church, One Faith...  has been around almost 2000 years and can fit what the Church in the Bible "looks" like... it can be seen today...

The Catholic Church.... built by Christ, on Peter and the Apostles.[/color]
God Bless, Love in Christ & Mary
ironmonk
www.MoralTruth.com
[right][snapback]23097[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:bump: for our fundamentalist brethren.

Your servant in Christ,
ironmonk

i hate long document dumps - i never read them. even if it's good stuff. my mind simply wanders away from the topic. :( wish i could get over that.