An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants and Easter

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

I'm wondering, if you are a reformed protestant, why do you celebrate Easter and Christmas on the same days as the Catholic Church? Why celebrate them yearly? These are liturgical actions, not biblically mandated. There is no command in the Bible to remember the birth of Christ or his death and resurrection on a particular day of the year. It would seem that you would want to be "all" or "nothing on something like this.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 9 2006, 07:05 PM']I'm wondering, if you are a reformed protestant, why do you celebrate Easter and Christmas on the same days as the Catholic Church? Why celebrate them yearly? These are liturgical actions, not biblically mandated. There is no command in the Bible to remember the birth of Christ or his death and resurrection on a particular day of the year. It would seem that you would want to be "all" or "nothing on something like this.
[right][snapback]941341[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:bigshock: I was thinking that exact same thing a few hours ago at work! That is sooooo weird. I would also point out the increasing "trend" of Protestant churches adopting Lenten practices and such.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 9 2006, 07:05 PM']I'm wondering, if you are a reformed protestant, why do you celebrate Easter and Christmas on the same days as the Catholic Church? Why celebrate them yearly? These are liturgical actions, not biblically mandated. There is no command in the Bible to remember the birth of Christ or his death and resurrection on a particular day of the year. It would seem that you would want to be "all" or "nothing on something like this.
[right][snapback]941341[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, many Prtotestant denominations traditionally do not celebrate them in a religious sense. The protestant denomination my mom was raised in did not believe in the special celebration of Christmas or Easter, claiming these to be Popish inventions, and that real Christians celebrate Christ's birth, death, and resurrection every day of the year, so such holidays are unnecessary. They celebrate Christmas, but in a more secular sense (time to give gifts, etc.) than as a religious holiday.

(I know it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I'm just telling what they do.)