An Old School Catholic Message Board

May A Person Who Takes Anti-depressants And Anti-ocd Medication Become

Saint_Gemma_Galgani

Saint_Gemma_Galgani

May a person who takes anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication become a nun if they are not depressed or exibiting symptoms of OCD as long as they take the medication?

Many communities require a psychological evaluation before entering. Some do not. I don't think there is a black-and-white answer for you on this issue. It will be up to the discretion of the community. I'm guessing the decision would be impacted by [i]many[/i] factors when it comes to these disorders. Some communities do not require a psychological evaluation, but this would also fall into the medical category, which is required by every community I believe.

It would be difficult to live the life with these conditions. Having them is really a Cross, and I think we would all sympathize with someone going through that. I can see it being a sufficient impediment to being accepted, but really and truly I think it would depend on the community. It'd be nice if one of our resident sisters could come and help to answer this question. ^_^

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1301623' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:40 PM']Many communities require a psychological evaluation before entering. Some do not. I don't think there is a black-and-white answer for you on this issue. It will be up to the discretion of the community. I'm guessing the decision would be impacted by [i]many[/i] factors when it comes to these disorders. Some communities do not require a psychological evaluation, but this would also fall into the medical category, which is required by every community I believe.

It would be difficult to live the life with these conditions. Having them is really a Cross, and I think we would all sympathize with someone going through that. I can see it being a sufficient impediment to being accepted, but really and truly I think it would depend on the community. It'd be nice if one of our resident sisters could come and help to answer this question. ^_^[/quote]

+

I also have heard it depends on the community. Sisters?

Mary-Kathryn

Since I've never actively discerned, I would first say take the advice of those who have, plus of the Sisters. However, as a laywoman who has clinical depression there were some thoughts that popped into my mind.

1. There is the cost of the medications themselves. Medications aren't cheap, not even the generic kind. How will you pay for these in a convent?

2. Would you want to change psychiatrists? If you move away from your town you might have to. I would not want to. Mine knows me, respects me and most importantly LISTENS. She does not belive in tanking me up on meds and sending me on my way either.

3. Do you have therapy? I do. Part of my responsibility is to take care of myself. I do that by learning the coping skills necessary.

I think what I would like you to reflect on is the changing landscape of life. A couple of weeks ago, I had to get my antidepressants increased after two years. I sensed a depressive mood, not brought on by any crisis or situation, it just happened. The brain chemicals just got out of whack. The good news is that because I had learned these skills through therapy, I knew what was happening before it went too far.

Having said all of this, I know each person is unique and I absolutely cannot speak for you or your experiences, only mine. I certainly don't want to give anyone a false impression of you when its' myself I describe!

Think too, about Third Orders that are available. I was a Secular Carmelite and believe me it is not "settling." It is a true vocation to the Carmelite Order and to The Church. If you ever choose this route, be assured it is a truly God-given vocation [there are Dominican, Franciscan, Carmelite and I know I'm missing others!] There are also many other life-giving ways to serve The Church. I'm back in school to get a degree in Art History and want to teach our faith through all of our magnificent Church art.

Be assured that I do not mean to discourage you at all. I know that God will call you where He Wills and your heart will hear.

cathoholic_anonymous

As someone who has long-standing experience with mental health problems (both my own and other people's) I can see that it would depend on the candidate as well as the community.

I have a very close friend who is seriously ill in her mind. She got this way as a result of repeated rape and sexual abuse, which began when she was only a young child. (She's fifteen now.) But the extraordinary thing about her is her patience and her willingness to fight for recovery. She has never given up, even when things were at their worst in the hospital. That kind of courage, persistance, and trust is something that I recognise in the lives of the saints. She's certainly not fit enough to be thinking about religious communities yet, but I have an intriguing premonition that she is going to end up a sister. (I haven't told her this, of course. I keep my suspicions to myself.)

I have another friend with depression who has basically given up on herself. She's less severely affected than the girl described above, but she is rejecting all help and sinking even deeper into apathy. Grit and perserverence are much-needed qualities in the religious life, so a person with this attitude to their problems might not get so far.

As a seminarian I know several guys who are on medications for various difficulties (mostly depression and ADD). Discern within your heart first, and then open yourself to the discernment of your superiors. The third order option sounds very good as well. Living in a community is tough work!

peace...

[quote name='Saint_Gemma_Galgani' post='1301571' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:26 PM']May a person who takes anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication become a nun if they are not depressed or exibiting symptoms of OCD as long as they take the medication?[/quote]

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' post='1302455' date='Jun 26 2007, 06:50 PM']Since I've never actively discerned, I would first say take the advice of those who have, plus of the Sisters. However, as a laywoman who has clinical depression there were some thoughts that popped into my mind.

1. There is the cost of the medications themselves. Medications aren't cheap, not even the generic kind. How will you pay for these in a convent?

2. Would you want to change psychiatrists? If you move away from your town you might have to. I would not want to. Mine knows me, respects me and most importantly LISTENS. She does not belive in tanking me up on meds and sending me on my way either.

3. Do you have therapy? I do. Part of my responsibility is to take care of myself. I do that by learning the coping skills necessary.[/quote]

I think that Mary Kathryn raised some excellent points. Normally people who enter religious life have to be in very good physical and mental health. OCD has the potential to cause many problems for someone entering religious life given the lifestyle and the environment. It would be unfair to accept someone whose mental health could be compromised and probably not be properly treated within a religious community.

This has to be discerned with each community, but my own would not allow it because they would be concerned for the person entering and would not want them to suffer. During formation you generally move several times, as well as during your religious life if you are in an active community, and that would also raise problems in terms of having a consistent psychiatrist.

I hope that this helps. Like others have said, Third Orders are a great place to look for a sense of community without having to live within one.

God bless!
Sr Colleen

Edited by happynun

Sr. Julie at A Nun's Life just posted about [b][url="http://anunslife.org/2007/06/25/when-a-sister-is-sick-or-dying/"]chronic illness and religious life[/url][/b]... in case anyone's interested.

I'd say forget it ... do yourself a favour and don't bother with the discerning circle cycling ... cycling ... round ... and round .... and round ... and round ... again ... and again .... and again. In the end you'll be kicked out, called a demoniac and left to rot on the sidewalk after wasting your life and love. My advice is spare yourself the pain - I AM a person who has a very long history of mental illness and have been on meds for most of my life ... I wanted to become a nun .... for many reasons - so be aware that any desire for religious life from a mentally ill person may not be 'divine' but rather a result of desire for stability ... somewhere to hide (afterall a convent is the perfect place to lock yourself up and not face the difficulty of living as an ill person in society with the usual hassles of paying bills, stress, relationships), a desire to be loved and feeling that being a nun is affirmation of that.
Just be careful cause there is major potential to be hurt ....
Thats my 2cents

I really don't think that love is ever wasted. Jesus reads what is in your heart, and you made the effort. Maybe life in community woud not be the thing to do. There are many ways to serve the Lord. I am single and feel that this is my vocation. Do I want to be a nun, sure I do , but at age 53 that might not be the thing to do(health issues). Life is truly what you make it. There are third orders that beg for members and are a true community of prayer. There are service opportunities that give you an opportnity to do some good while living with a community. That would be a good way to test if you have the ability to live in community.
And I adamently say that entering a convent is no refuge from life's hurts and trials. If anything it brings it closer. Sisters today are very aware of financial obligation and bills have to be paid. Surely you don't have to develop a romance life, but my word, you have fallen in love with Jesus. Any man would pale in comparison.
And you must develop close ties with many woman in community, you have to open yourself to all types, all personalities and temperments. It is no longer your will, but what is better for the community. That is not easy living, but can only be accomplished with graces.
There is potential for hurt no matter what path you take. I am so sorry that life has been hard for you God Child. There are no guarantees. But you must try. God truly does love us, but following the path of Jesus is not easy. Calvary was not easy. You do the best that you can and you make your path in this world.
God be with you God Child, and give you peace

Just read a very good piece in Sr. Julie's blog today about this subject, please check it out

[url="http://anunslife.org/"]http://anunslife.org/[/url]

[quote name='alicemary' post='1310888' date='Jul 3 2007, 11:26 AM']Just read a very good piece in Sr. Julie's blog today about this subject, please check it out

[url="http://anunslife.org/"]http://anunslife.org/[/url][/quote]
I referenced the earlier post of Sr. Julie's in a comment above. Thanks for bringing her additional post to our attention! :)