An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opus Dei

vanilla

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

I have been censored in the past for posting links to "ex-members" stories and perspectives. However, I think it is very important that we are able to look at things completely, especially when there is secrecy or the "unknown" involved. Many people who regularly post on this board are former members of cloistered communities and have spoken openly about their experience (thank you!) - difficulties, challenges and the beauties they encountered. I believe strongly in looking at both sides of ANY group before entering.

If anyone would like to pm me for further information, please do so.

Pax!

TradMom

I don't see a problem in not coming right out and saying, "hi, I'm in Opus Dei and you should join." In evangelization you don't hit people over the head with a Bible and tell them to convert. You just get to know them, and once you have established a relationship with them and they trust you, then you present your beliefs-- and your friend can take it or leave it. I don't know why OD is criticized for taking part in this age-old tradition, and I also don't think that this particular aspect of it is secretive. OD members also are not secretively manipulated by their spiritual directors, as is the case with other well-known organizations that might be viewed as similar to OD but are not.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='10 November 2009 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1257877351' post='1999613']
I don't see a problem in not coming right out and saying, "hi, I'm in Opus Dei and you should join." In evangelization you don't hit people over the head with a Bible and tell them to convert. You just get to know them, and once you have established a relationship with them and they trust you, then you present your beliefs-- and your friend can take it or leave it. I don't know why OD is criticized for taking part in this age-old tradition, and I also don't think that this particular aspect of it is secretive. OD members also are not secretively manipulated by their spiritual directors, as is the case with other well-known organizations that might be viewed as similar to OD but are not.
[/quote]

I think part of it is this difference.

a) I work retail in a very secular environment. I don't walk in every night and say, Hi, my name is Thomist and I'm a Roman Catholic. But I usually wear a miraculous medal, unique to Catholics, and I have gotten into some discussions about being Catholic. If someone asks me, I'm proud to say I'm Catholic. I don't answer evasively.

b) Opus Dei members, as far as I know (I being a laywoman with the amount of contact I mentioned in previous post) almost [i]never [/i]say "I belong to Opus Dei". In fact, the numerary professor I mentioned is someone I got to know pretty well, I even went to the center where she lived and saw her there, and I don't think, in our three years of conversations, she [i]ever [/i]uttered the words "Opus Dei." Very occasionally there would be a flyer for an event at the center and it would simply say "Arborlea Study Center." As far as I know--someone may have a different experience--members of Opus Dei in general aren't always allowed to tell, when asked, whether they belong to it.

To me, that is a big difference.

*arg! 2 edits for clarity/formatting

Edited by Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='10 November 2009 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1257878476' post='1999638']
As far as I know--someone may have a different experience--members of Opus Dei in general aren't always allowed to tell, when asked, whether they belong to it.
[/quote]

This is wrong. Opus Dei members never aren't allowed to tell they belong to it. For what concern telling it or not, this is of course a personal choice of every member.

Trad Mom: the net is already full of sites of Opus Dei's exmembers. You can simply suggest the readers to insert "Opus Dei" on google and they will only have to choose among plenty of them!

[quote name='TradMom' date='10 November 2009 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1257876526' post='1999592']
+Praised be Jesus Christ!

I have been censored in the past for posting links to "ex-members" stories and perspectives. However, I think it is very important that we are able to look at things completely, especially when there is secrecy or the "unknown" involved. Many people who regularly post on this board are former members of cloistered communities and have spoken openly about their experience (thank you!) - difficulties, challenges and the beauties they encountered. I believe strongly in looking at both sides of ANY group before entering.

If anyone would like to pm me for further information, please do so.

Pax!

TradMom
[/quote]
I agree. I think if the person is mature, they can take whatever the former member shares and apply it to their own discernment. For instance, if someone who left said that part of their concerns had to do with _________________, the new discerner might be able to use that because they know of all the issues one might have with religious life, living in community, etc. ________________ is it. It can be very beneficial. Especially if the discerner also realizes that another's experiences doesn't mean yours will be the same.