An Old School Catholic Message Board

Quick Introduction

Guadalupe84

Hi Phatmassers! My name is Jacqulyn (my friends and family call me "Jac") I just joined a few days ago. I was here, actually a few years ago, but kind of got tied up with....well, life, I suppose (isn't that always what happens?) :rolleyes: A year ago a decided to change careers. I left teaching 3rd grade in a catholic school in order to persue a career in nursing (much harder than it looks to get into that field!!) I found that without viable medical experience or certification, its kind of hard to get a job. So, I made the tough decision to join the Army Reserves to become a certified medic. Right now I am still taking pre-requisite classes for nursing while working.

I am discerning a call to the religious life. Infact, I'm very certain that is the path in which God is guiding me. Currently, I am getting back into contacting different congregations that are involved with the helping and healing ministry. I'm taking one day at a time, because I know that now I have at least 2 more years that I have to dedicate to serving in the Army. It is something that I pray about every day and offer up to God. So, I look forward to being part of this Pham. =) Already, it has been a huge support...and I can see God's grace working through the connections made here. God bless you all and blessed beginning of Advent to all of you....

Welcome! I was going to mention the Hawthorne Dominicans as well as the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm.

[quote name='HisChild' date='03 December 2009 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1259817384' post='2013629']
Welcome! I was going to mention the Hawthorne Dominicans as well as the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm.
[/quote]

Little Sisters of the Poor! GREAT bunch of gals!

Welcome, and God bless your search! Not sure of where you are from, but if you are in the midwest, there are some good Franciscans in Peoria and Alton, IL, also in Mishawaka, IN, who have healthcare apostolates. I would also hope you'd consider the Olivetan Benedictine Sisters in Arkansas. Sorry I don't have time to put up their websites, but you can find them all if you go to the Deo Est Gloria vocations page. Good luck!

Hey, great suggestions...thank you! I have been visiting some congregations. I've actually tried getting in touch with the Little Sisters, but haven't had much luck yet. Also visited the Carmelites of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Los Angeles. I would love to go on a retreat though this Advent season. If it is a discernment retreat, that would be awesome! <So I have to look into that. Thanks for all of the support. I'm really finding this phorum helpful....God bless you all! Totally excited about stepping back in and putting some serious thought into discernment...paz

Hello, and welcome (back)!

I hope your career change and vocation search goes well :). I am a teacher and my sister is a nurse, so I understand the investment in education it would take to switch fields.

My sister is currently an aspirant with the Sister Servants of the Sacred Heart, a Franciscan group in Pennsylvania. If you are interested, I'm sure I could put you in contact with her. She intends to serve as a nurse with this community, though they do other work as well. The nurses wear white habits. :)

Thank you for your service with the Army Reserve, and a blessed Advent season to you as well!

Edited by MithLuin

Sister Rose Therese

Hi Guadalupe84,
Our main apostolate is healthcare: hospitals, physician practices, home care, hospice...
We also have 2 colleges of nursing. You can visit our website [url="http://www.franciscansisterspeoria.org"]www.franciscansisterspeoria.org[/url] and [url="http://www.osfhealthcare.org"]www.osfhealthcare.org[/url] for more info.
You must have a great desire to care for the sick to become a medic so that you can study to be a nurse.
God bless you.

[quote name='Guadalupe84' date='03 December 2009 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1259862314' post='2013830']
Hey, great suggestions...thank you! I have been visiting some congregations. I've actually tried getting in touch with the Little Sisters, but haven't had much luck yet. Also visited the Carmelites of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Los Angeles. I would love to go on a retreat though this Advent season. If it is a discernment retreat, that would be awesome! <So I have to look into that. Thanks for all of the support. I'm really finding this phorum helpful....God bless you all! Totally excited about stepping back in and putting some serious thought into discernment...paz
[/quote]

No luck with the Little Sisters??? *Gasp* Do you still need their contact info or did you get it?

I know how you feel about "waiting"; oh this Advent season is quite perfect for waiting! I've been studying for my teaching certificate for 4 months and hope to take one half of the test soon - but my heart is also set on the Religious Life & an order that I recently applied to for Aug. '10. I will be praying for you as I hope you pray for me!

In Christ,
Melissa

The vocation directress for the Olivetan Benedictines was in the air force . She served as an EMT and then went into nursing. I have met several Sisters with a military background. As regards a retreat during advent most convents and monasteries don't decorate until the last week before Christmas and some are happy to have "working" visitors in late advent!

[quote name='melporcristo' date='08 December 2009 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1260319997' post='2016407']
No luck with the Little Sisters??? *Gasp* Do you still need their contact info or did you get it?

I know how you feel about "waiting"; oh this Advent season is quite perfect for waiting! I've been studying for my teaching certificate for 4 months and hope to take one half of the test soon - but my heart is also set on the Religious Life & an order that I recently applied to for Aug. '10. I will be praying for you as I hope you pray for me!

In Christ,
Melissa
[/quote]

Congrats on applying! What order, might I ask? You know that you have my prayers! I taught 3rd grade for a few years...are you going for secondary or primary certificaton. Good luck! Ugh...I think God has an ongoing theme in my life...patience and detachment (I think because they are the ones I need most practice with!!!) He gives me plenty of opportunities to practice both, much to my chagrin...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/upsidedown.gif[/img]

[quote name='slisa' date='08 December 2009 - 10:27 PM' timestamp='1260325679' post='2016424']
The vocation directress for the Olivetan Benedictines was in the air force . She served as an EMT and then went into nursing. I have met several Sisters with a military background. As regards a retreat during advent most convents and monasteries don't decorate until the last week before Christmas and some are happy to have "working" visitors in late advent!
[/quote]

THat's awesome! That's exactly what I'm doing right now...I wonder how old she was when she entered...That's kind of my worry...by the time I'm done, will I be too old? Maybe not...but still...timing...that patience thing again, I suppose.