An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Can Catholics Not Be "saved"

mamalove

[quote]It doesn't make sense to me...most protestants say if you are Baptised and believe in Jesus as your Savior, than you are saved. Well Catholics are Baptised, and Catholics believe Christ saves us from sin. So why are protestants trying "to save us"?

According to them aren't we "already saved" because of Baptism and acknowledgement in Christ as our Savior? I don't see why protestants argue and bash Catholics so much? [/quote]

Thought I could start a new thread with this topic. I'm sure it's been debated to death, but I'm new. Cut me some slack.

Edited by mamalove

My answer to this would be to ask the person who's trying to "save" you what is needed to be saved. They will tell you that you must believe that Jesus is your Savior and I think most will say you must be Baptized.

Then ask them why Catholics are not saved, because we have been Baptized and believe that Jesus is our Savior. Most likely you will get an answer to the effect of "Catholics worship Mary," or some other nonsense like that.

Ask them again what is needed to be saved. Then pose the question to them: If all that is needed to be saved is Baptism and belief in Jesus as our Savior then why is "Catholics worship Mary" (or whatever reason they gave) even though it's not true, relevant?

Livin_the_MASS

Alot of Protestants believe in full submersion, they think our Baptism is not valid because we "sprinkle" the baby. Or they have a problem with the baby not being able to accept faith at the time of Baptism. (This is why we have Confirmation)

But you can even take Scripture on this (Mark 10:14), People are bringing children to Jesus and the disciples start to rebuke them than Jesus says "Let the children come to me; [b][u]do not prevent them[/u], for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these"[/b]

Or in Acts 16:31 we hear of "Households being baptized"

Alot of them don't understand our stance on the subject. These are just a few.

Even in the Old Testament we have in Ezekiel 36:25-27

"[b]I will sprinkle clean water upon you to cleanse you from all your impurities[/b], and from all your idols I will cleanse you. I will give you a new heart and place a new spirit within you, taking from your bodies your stony hearts and giving you natural hearts. I will put my spirit within you and make you live by my statues, careful to observe my decress."

When a baby is Baptized we all know the head gets wet, it's not like stiking your fingures in the water and flicking it on the child! The head is washed!

Baptism is needed for Salvation Yes. But Salvation is a work in progress. It's not a free ticket. You can sin, fall from grace. Thats why we have Confession to have our sins absolved by the priest sitting in the person of Christ. Everyday is a Cross. There is a hell and people go there. Our Lord spoke of it Himself. So this once saved always saved doesn't go with Scripture.

Hope this helps
In the love of Christ
Jason

Edited by Jason