An Old School Catholic Message Board

“It’S Not The ‘Kennedy Seat"

add

Get over it - lots of seats in the both the Seante and the House are de facto inherited positions: Nancy Kassabaum inherited her Senate seat from her father; Birch Bayh's son took over his Ohio Senate seat; George Wallace's wife followed him as governor of Alabama; the Gores in Tennessee; the Clays of Missouri (father & son representatives); the Sullivans in St. Louis (husband & wife); the Bushes (two governors and two presidents, admittedly with a time gap between them); I can't think of specific names right now but I know there are lot of others.

People do develop propritary attitudes toward these things, in contradiction to their stated preference for democracy.

[quote name='Luigi' date='15 January 2010 - 01:26 AM' timestamp='1263533187' post='2037563']
Get over it - lots of seats in the both the Seante and the House are de facto inherited positions: Nancy Kassabaum inherited her Senate seat from her father; Birch Bayh's son took over his Ohio Senate seat; George Wallace's wife followed him as governor of Alabama; the Gores in Tennessee; the Clays of Missouri (father & son representatives); the Sullivans in St. Louis (husband & wife); the Bushes (two governors and two presidents, admittedly with a time gap between them); I can't think of specific names right now but I know there are lot of others.

People do develop propritary attitudes toward these things, in contradiction to their stated preference for democracy.
[/quote]

get over what?
:lol_roll: this election looks like a "pack of lemmings" casting themselves off a cliff and out bodily into space."

Edited by apparently

[quote name='Winchester' date='14 January 2010 - 10:13 AM' timestamp='1263482012' post='2036922']
JFK's statement still screws up Catholic political thought. He can rest when that statement is forgotten. Until then, may the Kennedy name be associated not with Catholicism but with rampant, stupid liberalism.
[/quote]

Amen.

ed

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='14 January 2010 - 01:34 PM' timestamp='1263494069' post='2037049']
The two-party system has long outlived its usefulness. I refuse to act as though I can be pigeon-holed into one of two monsters, one of which is only slightly less disgusting than the other.
Some might view my vote for a third party candidate as being a wasted one, but part of the beauty of the American Way, I guess, is that no one controls your vote but you.

And please note, both of the Gargantuans were new at one point as well.

And for God's sake, please don't compare Palin to Reagan.
[/quote]

USA, you ended by asking me not to compare Palin to Reagen. This is hard as they have many simialarities politically. They both were elected to states with failing economies and turned the states economy around, at one time California was an economic boon state as Alaska is now. They are both, in their political views, pro-life, take strong stances on our countries defense. They both speak of the greatness of America and individual americans, they both are positive role models and good communicators that broadcast likability call it charisma if you will. Lastly they both have children that although they screwed up, they never publicly denied or belittled them.

ed

Edited by Ed Normile

[size="3"]
[b]Top 3 reasons to vote for the democrat candidate according to Democratic Party advertisements[/b][/size]
1] "You just have to decide if you want to pick the person who gets to shut America down," said the Former President Bill Clinton.

2] "If Scott Brown wins, it'll kill the health bill," said Rep. Barney Frank,D-Mass.

3] Reproductive rights have become a central issue of the Massachusetts special election, Martha Coakley has taken a strong stand in defense of abortion rights. Brown, however,hasn't been quite so forthright.

[size="3"]
[b]Top 3 [color="#0000ff"](good)[/color] reasons to vote for the republican candidate according to Republican Party advertisements[/b][/size]
1] "You just have to decide if you want to pick the person who gets to shut America down," said the Former President Bill Clinton.

2] "I Scott Brown wins, it'll kill the health bill," said Rep. Barney Frank,D-Mass.

3] Reproductive rights have become a central issue of the Massachusetts special election, Martha Coakley has taken a strong stand in defense of abortion rights. Brown, however,hasn't been quite so forthright.

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='14 January 2010 - 12:11 AM' timestamp='1263445914' post='2036775']
I took an interest in politics as a child of ten, when I started hearing things from family members as how great a family they were. I was repeating this to a friend of mine,from german family, when his grandfather told me about Joe Kennedy and his empire built on illegal bootlegging of booze and murder and bribery,
[/quote]

Nothing immoral about brewing statutorially-unapproved adult beverages. But Joseph Kennedy was far more of a wicked man than any could imagine. Not the Massachusetts "wicked," either. He was in great part personally responsible for the deaths of literally millions of people. For the sake of a bribe.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='16 January 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1263674766' post='2038684']
Nothing immoral about brewing statutorially-unapproved adult beverages. But Joseph Kennedy was far more of a wicked man than any could imagine. Not the Massachusetts "wicked," either. He was in great part personally responsible for the deaths of literally millions of people. For the sake of a bribe.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

What do the sins of his father have to do with JFK? It was considered a monumental feat, in 1960 to elect a catholic. Anyway, this topic is not really about Kennedy.

Edited by apparently

[quote name='apparently' date='16 January 2010 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1263688907' post='2038813']
What do the sins of his father have to do with JFK? It was considered a monumental feat, in 1960 to elect a catholic. Anyway, this topic is not really about Kennedy.
[/quote]

Let's just say the nuts didn't fall far from the tree. Catholic, eh?

John F. Kennedy: "I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish; where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source; where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials; and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all. . . .

I believe in a president whose religious views are his own private affair, neither imposed by him upon the nation, or imposed by the nation upon him as a condition to holding that office. . . .

I ask you tonight to follow in that tradition, to judge me on the basis of my record of 14 years in Congress, on my declared stands against an ambassador to the Vatican, against unconstitutional aid to parochial schools, and against any boycott of the public schools (which I have attended myself)—

I am not the Catholic candidate for president. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for president, who happens also to be a Catholic. I do not speak for my church on public matters, [b]and the church does not speak for me.[/b] [b]Whatever issue may come before me as president —on birth control, divorce,[/b] censorship, gambling [b]or any other subject[/b] —[b]I will make my decision in accordance with these views, in accordance with what my conscience tells me[/b] [b]to be the national interest,[/b] and [b]without regard to outside religious pressures or dictates[/b]. [b]And[/b] [b]no power or threat of punishment could cause me to decide otherwise[/b]."
[url="http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16920600"]http://www.npr.org/t...toryId=16920600[/url]

Sound familiar?

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[b]Obama Stumps for Coakley in Surprisingly Tight Massachusetts Senate Race[/b]

Sunday's rally was not the typical Obama function. The hall where they gathered was only partly filled, and supporters standing behind the guests of honor appeared caught off guard as an abortion protester and a young boy accompanying him were removed from the building. Nothing was left to chance, dissidents (one mother and her young son) were sent to the back of the bus, so to speak.

The Tuesday Kennedy seat election day is also the last dayof the first year of Obama. After $2 trillion of intervention [by the federal government], Confidence in government has remained his biggest challenge.

The President Of These Unites States comes to the capital of the bluestState and only having 1,500 attendees from a metropolitan area of some4 million says it all.

The Coakley rally was indoors to a closed audience. While she was having her fun with the elite, Scott Brown was out in the states second largest city, at a rally out in the streets with the ordinary people.

Jim

as of 9:51 tonight
[b][b][color="red"]52% SCOTT BROWN (R) 1,062,322
47% MARTHA COAKLEY (D)D: 0,949,660[/color]
[/b][/b]all bets are off