An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Pamphlet

LilyofSaintMaria

LilyofSaintMaria

I was thinking about putting together vocational pamphlets to give out at my parish, (one for women and one for men). It would have a little bit about the religious life/priesthood and then have a short list of some Religious communities. But then it occurred to me that perhaps this was already done. Does anyone know of something like this?

There is a really cool book that I used to see before but I haven't seen it in ages. It is sometimes called "the blue book" but I think the official title is "Guide to Religious Ministries." Also, I think the CSMWR has a nice pamphlet, but I have never seen one for men. I hope that helps.

laetitia crucis

I've been searching for some pamphlets online, but haven't seen any pamphlets either. I was hoping on passing some out to my parish "discernment group", and also leaving some in the parish near all our other Catholic pamphlets. :hehe: I might end up making my own. :idontknow:

The only thing I could find was some text from a "religious vocation" pamphlet (which I thought was quite nice):

[quote]
[b]The Eucharist and Vocations[/b]

Rev. John A. Hardon, S.J.
SRV Chaplain

It is impossible to exaggerate the close relation between the Holy Eucharist and vocations to the priesthood and the religious life.

This is only to be expected once we realize that every vocation is a special grace from God, and the greatest source of grace we have is the Eucharist – as Presence, Sacrifice and Communion.

Faith tells us that Christ is really present on our altars, that He really offers Himself in the Mass, and that we really receive Him in Holy Communion. In each case, the Living Christ is now inspiring men and women to give themselves to Him with all their hearts and follow Him in the extension of His Kingdom.

The Eucharist, therefore, is the best way to foster vocations. This means that persons who attend Mass, receive Communion and invoke Christ in the Blessed Sacrament obtain light and strength that no one else has a claim to.

The Eucharist is also the best way to recognize vocations. Show me a man or woman devoted to the Eucharist and I will show you a person who is an apt subject for the priesthood or the religious life.

The Eucharist is finally the infallible way of preserving one's vocation. This is especially true of devotion to the Real Presence. Is it any wonder that saintly priests and religious over the centuries have been uncommonly devoted to the Blessed Sacrament? They know where to obtain the help they need to remain faithful to their vocations. It is from the same Christ Who called them and Who continues to sustain them in His consecrated service.

Vocations begin with the Eucharist; they are developed through the Eucharist; and they are preserved by the Eucharist. All of this is true because the Eucharist is Jesus Christ, still on earth, working through men and women whom He calls to share in His Plan for salvation.

[i]Society for Religious Vocations[/i]
Pamphlet

Copyright © 1999 by Inter Mirifica[/quote]

If you do find some, LilyofSaintMaria, please pass on the information. :saint:

LilyofSaintMaria

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='22 February 2010 - 09:11 PM' timestamp='1266887511' post='2061500']
I've been searching for some pamphlets online, but haven't seen any pamphlets either. I was hoping on passing some out to my parish "discernment group", and also leaving some in the parish near all our other Catholic pamphlets. :hehe: I might end up making my own. :idontknow:

The only thing I could find was some text from a "religious vocation" pamphlet (which I thought was quite nice):

If you do find some, LilyofSaintMaria, please pass on the information. :saint:
[/quote]

Sure will. That's exactly what I am planning on doing, too. I am attracted to those pamphlets people leave in the vestibule, I hope others will, too!

I may have to go with my original thought and write them up myself unless someone else hear knows of something . . .

The Guide to Religious Ministries is in fact the blue book... but since the IRL came in to being, many of the larger books like that have a much smaller circulation, and cost money to purchase vs. being free online. I too would be interested in knowing what you come up with.

Several years ago, I was chairperson of our parish's vocation committee. Since I was also the only member, we had great meetings!

Anyway, I wrote to dozens of religious orders, male and female, asking for vocation information that I could make available to our parishioners. I was overwhelmed by the response! I received so much informations, pamphlets, photos, even a couple of movies. I was able to distribute a lot of printed information and we even showed the movies after Masses one weekend.

blessings

linnie

laetitia crucis

[quote name='linnie' date='22 February 2010 - 09:44 PM' timestamp='1266889499' post='2061535']
Several years ago, I was chairperson of our parish's vocation committee. Since I was also the only member, we had great meetings!

Anyway, I wrote to dozens of religious orders, male and female, asking for vocation information that I could make available to our parishioners. I was overwhelmed by the response! I received so much informations, pamphlets, photos, even a couple of movies. I was able to distribute a lot of printed information and we even showed the movies after Masses one weekend.

blessings

linnie
[/quote]

Ooooh! :idea: This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing that with us, linnie!

I think I shall begin writing for information ASAP.

:woot: :priest: :saint: [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='22 February 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1266891897' post='2061567']
Ooooh! :idea: This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing that with us, linnie!

I think I shall begin writing for information ASAP.

:woot: :priest: :saint: [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG]
[/quote]

Vision magazine is a good source of addresses. Best wishes to you

LilyofSaintMaria

What would you like more (or does it even matter to you?) a bunch of different pamphlets from various communities or one vocational pamphlet about Religious life in general and a little information about a few orders in particular? I was thinking of the latter, but if the former sounds fine I may just try distributing them instead.

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' date='23 February 2010 - 07:34 AM' timestamp='1266932052' post='2061789']
What would you like more (or does it even matter to you?) a bunch of different pamphlets from various communities or one vocational pamphlet about Religious life in general and a little information about a few orders in particular? I was thinking of the latter, but if the former sounds fine I may just try distributing them instead.
[/quote]

First of all I'd like to compliment you on taking on this task. We really need to publicize religious life and many of the sisters/brothers/priests are just too busy to do it for themselves, especially for the smaller orders. So thank you for your work!

Personally I'd prefer various pamphlets. What I did was have have a bulletin board just off the vestibule of our church. Each month, I'd highlight one or two orders. I'd put up their posters and have their pamphlets in a rack on the board. It was well received and the information disappeared quickly.
Also, I wonder if you'd need to get approval from the various orders to write and print information about them. They may want to see what you've written before you print it.

just my $0.02

Blessings, linnie

laetitia crucis

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' date='23 February 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1266932052' post='2061789']
[/quote]

I guess it would depend on where I was in my discernment. If I was in the very early stages -- just trying to understand what a vocation is and if I might have one -- then I'd go for the "Religious Life in General". If I had already knew I had a vocation, then I'd probably want a little information about a few orders in particular. Oh -- and I'd probably want to know more about the various ways of living a vocation, like cloistered vs. semi-contemplative vs. active. Or for men, religious priesthood/brotherhood vs. diocesan priesthood. Or even about the consecrated lay vocation.

:)

LilyofSaintMaria

Hey, thanks for your opinions and suggestions! I think I may take the "many pamphlet" route. I know of a few really good booklets about religious life in general (including the priesthood), so that will be good to include, I think. I will post my findings as they come along!

laetitia crucis

Hey! :bye:

I just found [url="http://www.churchvocations.com/Discernment/Reading%20List.htm"]this page[/url] which speaks of requesting pamphlets for discernment. There seems to be four separate pamphlets that can be requested, but I didn't see any mention of prices. This makes me wonder if they're FREE... :scratchhead:

Has anyone ever heard of or seen the pamphlets on that website before? :detective:

LilyofSaintMaria

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='23 February 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1266965206' post='2062149']
Hey! :bye:

I just found [url="http://www.churchvocations.com/Discernment/Reading%20List.htm"]this page[/url] which speaks of requesting pamphlets for discernment. There seems to be four separate pamphlets that can be requested, but I didn't see any mention of prices. This makes me wonder if they're FREE... :scratchhead:

Has anyone ever heard of or seen the pamphlets on that website before? :detective:
[/quote]

Interesting. . . I emailed them to see if they still have them available. Thanks for the heads up!

Sister Rose Therese

You could sign into the Vision Vocation Network. You create a profile and then you can choose different criteria for communities. Then you can check the communities you want information from. There should be some where that you can state the purpose you want them for so that the communities know to send you several copies. We have seen some people do that.